The Student Room Group

Are universities more likely to accept or reject future military applicants?

I am studying A-Levels at the moment with a clear intention of joining the armed forces following my degree. Will the universities see that as a good or bad thing given the current state of universities?
Original post by Samuel Birdsall
I am studying A-Levels at the moment with a clear intention of joining the armed forces following my degree. Will the universities see that as a good or bad thing given the current state of universities?

How would they know?
They couldn't care less.
Check your paranoia!
Original post by threeportdrift
How would they know?
They couldn't care less.
Check your paranoia!

Because it is in my personal statement. I am not really bothered bybit, I am just overall curious.
Reply 3
Why on earth would they care...?
Particularly since you are very likely to change your mind before you graduate.
Reply 4
Because it is in my personal statement. I am not really bothered bybit, I am just overall curious.

Seems like a bit of a waste of your personal statement talking about a hypothetical job in the future. Even if your degree is directly related I dont see the benefit of mentioning the forces. As already mentioned no one will care.

Greg

Well don't put things in your personal statement if you think they are going to be judged negatively, it's not a confession to a priest. However, no-one will care.
I would imagine they wouldn't care, in fact it might play in your favour. Yes universities are really woke at the moment but a lot also have UOTC and stuff so for many they either won't care, or will think you will fit in at the university if there is a big UOTC there. It'll also show your passionate and determined, all good qualities. As long as you don't say in your personal statement: "I want to join the military to drop bombs and kill people" then your fine. I don't go to university but know friends that do, and from what I have seen they treat them like children, patronising etc. If you do show passion to join the military they might just blow it off either way as a "teenage phase". I Would disagree with them, but either way your fine.

Quick Reply

Latest