The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

The official 'Glasgow is my firm!' thread 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Hey, does anyone know when term starts (including freshers)? As in, the day we can start turning up to our accommodation? It's a six hour drive each way for me so my parents are nagging me to find out because they'll need to book the time off work :P
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by fredrum
Hey, does anyone know when term starts (including freshers)? As in, the day we can start turning up to our accommodation? It's a six hour drive each way for me so my parents are nagging me to find out because they'll need to book the time off work :P

Pretty sure it's Monday 10th September as it's 2 days after my birthday

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by fredrum

You can normally start moving into halls from around 4pm onwards on the Friday before Freshers' Week. At least that is how it worked last year. As mentioned, Freshers' Week starts on Monday 10 September this year. You will be given the chance to book a slot online by the accommodation office closer to the time. As there are slots available over the weekend too, there may actually be no need for them to take time off at work.

Hope this helps, enjoy Glasgow!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by BostonLegal
You can normally start moving into halls from around 4pm onwards on the Friday before Freshers' Week. At least that is how it worked last year. As mentioned, Freshers' Week starts on Monday 10 September this year. You will be given the chance to book a slot online by the accommodation office closer to the time. As there are slots available over the weekend too, there may actually be no need for them to take time off at work.

Hope this helps, enjoy Glasgow!

Reply 224
Original post by kassiee.
Just quickly glanced at this forum as I was in the same position as you guys last year, how time flies haha!

Noticed your post as it was one of the more recent ones :smile: For life sciences, you don't get accepted to a specific degree, just to the school so basically you can chose to do any life science degree. I applied to do anatomy but I think I may change to Immunology or Pharmacology, can't decide. At Glasgow you don't need to decide your final degree to 2nd year (sometimes 3rd depending on what area).

In your first year you will do generalised biology courses, you won't do anything Neuroscience specific. You also have to either do Chemistry or Science Fundamentals if you haven't done chemistry before/not comfortable with it. Your 3rd subject can be whatever you like. I took Spanish beginners :smile:

I'm not sure how you enrol actually, can't remember, I think you may get an email and then that's when you go on and pick your classes and sort out your timetable, it's all done online.

Hopefully this helps, any questions just ask :tongue:

Do you mind if I ask a quick question?
I'm just wondering how many hours lectures/labs etc you had per week in first year?
From what I've managed to gather from the website it looks like quite a lot.
(I know the third subject will depend what I choose, but if you know for Bio and Chem?) :biggrin:

Original post by ellathecat
hey is there a facebook group for all of us starting at glasgow uni this september? link? if not, would anybody be interested in making it happen/ joining? personally i would love to get to know all of you, and fb is better than tsr for casual chatting.. who's with me? :smile:

Should deffo make a group, the only one I've seen is the one linked above :smile:
My offer is conditional still though so I'm slightly worried about posting in a facebook group and talking to you all and then not getting in haha!
All the information for each subject can be found in the Course Catalogue: http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/

If you look up a particular subject, and then click on the "specification document" at the bottom of the page, it normally gives you the lecture time slots, details of any labs, tutorials etc.

You can also normally click on the course handbook for each course, which provides more detailed info.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey everyone,

I got an offer for Politics (yay :biggrin:) but though they kind of explain how the you-take-three-subjects-the-first-year thing works on the website, I'm REALLY confused...

1- WHEN do we actually get to choose our second and third subject ?

2- How come we can randomly choose subjects that are supposed to be competitive eg. History ? I mean how come there are still places ?

3- Can we choose subjects that have nothing to do with what we study as first subject (Arts/Sciences) ? For example my offer is for Politics and I would like to study as second/third subject Economic and social History, and maybe German/Comparative Lit/Geography/Social Policy...yeah still not decided :tongue: but instead could I take say Immunology or Zoology as third subject ?

I know it seems weird but in France we have the possibility to keep both scientific and arts subjects so I don't want to stop sciences right now; seeing as this year I still have around 15hours science per week (physics, further maths, chemistry, biology) and...yeah :smile: So does anyone know anything ? Please :biggrin:

Lucie
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 227
I heard we don't have to choose untill we actually get there but I'm not sure about that. The reason we get to choose subjects, even competitive ones, is because you get admitted to 'the school of arts' for example or the one your subject belongs to, so they have enough places for everyone. Although some subjects that are very populair like English aren't open to everyone.
I don't know how different your second and third subject can be. I'm doing philosophy and am allowed to do economics so that's arts and social sciences, but I could think of reasons why arts and sciences wouldn't be allowed, considering the English A-level system. On the other hand, if you did do science and arts subjects In high school and you have fulfilled the requirements for the particular subject there might be a possibility to do so. I'm guessing we'll get information on this soon enough though, and otherwise you should just e-mail the university with your questions ^^
[QUOTE=Killyenn

Thank you :smile: I guess I'll email the university and hope there will still be places in the subjects I am interested in when I get there - my main concern being Geography which we learn with History in France (the course is actually called History-Geography) but is listed as Life Science here :confused::s-smilie:

Oh well we'll just see in September I guess - good luck with your exams :h:
Reply 229
Original post by Josiea
Do you mind if I ask a quick question?
I'm just wondering how many hours lectures/labs etc you had per week in first year?
From what I've managed to gather from the website it looks like quite a lot.
(I know the third subject will depend what I choose, but if you know for Bio and Chem?) :biggrin:

For Bio and Chem it was near enough lectures every day Mon-Fri and a lab for each which lasts 3 hours every week.
My 3rd subject, I only had 3 classes but for others they had lectures every day so it just depends :smile:
Reply 230
Original post by kassiee.
For Bio and Chem it was near enough lectures every day Mon-Fri and a lab for each which lasts 3 hours every week.
My 3rd subject, I only had 3 classes but for others they had lectures every day so it just depends :smile:

ah ok, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 231
Joining in :biggrin:
Got my exam results on Monday and I can safely say that I'll be going to Glasgow Uni in September! Doing Molecular Biology with Biotechnology :smile:
Can anybody tell me when you receive your welcome packs from the uni? Apart from the letter with my offer on it i havent had any further communication with the uni despite firming the offer over 4 months ago.
Reply 233
Original post by stephenmca
Can anybody tell me when you receive your welcome packs from the uni? Apart from the letter with my offer on it i havent had any further communication with the uni despite firming the offer over 4 months ago.

I emailed the Uni last month and they said the Welcome Packs will be sent out "sometime in July". :frown:
Reply 234

Original post by atticus_
I emailed the Uni last month and they said the Welcome Packs will be sent out "sometime in July". :frown:

Why is this an issue? You need 3 months to assimilate an information pack?
Original post by Norton1

I'm sorry that my curiosity offends you.
Reply 236
Original post by Norton1

It's not an issue at all, I just like getting mail :smile: Also implementing natural deduction on a forum is unnecessary; and you might insult someone you don't really know.
Reply 237
I'm sorry that my curiosity offends you.

Good. I think we can move forward and be productive now you've apologised.

Original post by atticus_
Also implementing natural deduction on a forum is unnecessary; and you might insult someone you don't really know.

Would it blow your mind if I said any insult you received was entirely deliberate?
Original post by Victorijaa
I also firmed Glasgow for Environmental Science. The degree takes place at Dumfries Campus so is there anyone else who is going to go to Dumfries in September? :smile:

Hi! I am going to join a Masters course in Env and Sust Developmet this year but in Business school. I've received my unconditional and formally accepted it. So, if there is smb going to make MSc in ESD please let me know.:wink:
Original post by noyancan
Hi All,

How long does it take to receive a decision from Glasgow University? (MSc application)

Best,
Noyan

Hi! I received an offer within one week. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending