The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Getting worried because I emailed allocations 3 days ago about my choice/offer predicament, and have yet to get a reply. If they don't get back to me, I've only got 3/4 days left to accept my current offer and I'll just have to go with Fraser Court. :frown:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Is there anybody from rest of EU who is struggling to find a UK Guarantor? :frown:
Reply 542
Original post by picciottino
Is there anybody from rest of EU who is struggling to find a UK Guarantor? :frown:

what is it, what do you need it for? (I'm RUK as well, and wondering whether I am forgetting to do something)
Reply 543
Same question as above, what do you need it for?

Also, it might have been asked before, but are there great differences in size between large/standard/small rooms?
Reply 544
Original post by Eileen_
Same question as above, what do you need it for?

Also, it might have been asked before, but are there great differences in size between large/standard/small rooms?

from what I heard, there's not much difference. Generally, go for the smallest room offered, as it is cheaper
There's one thing I don't really understand, Edinburgh say they don't allocate places on a first come first serve but I don't know how else they would do it. Just getting slightly worried because I've just resubmitted my accommodation application again because of the newly added accommodation but people are already getting allocated places, so is it going to be really unlikely that I'll get any of my choices? (I'm sitting my A Levels so I'm not UF yet)
Reply 546
Original post by dizzeedollee
There's one thing I don't really understand, Edinburgh say they don't allocate places on a first come first serve but I don't know how else they would do it. Just getting slightly worried because I've just resubmitted my accommodation application again because of the newly added accommodation but people are already getting allocated places, so is it going to be really unlikely that I'll get any of my choices? (I'm sitting my A Levels so I'm not UF yet)

I'm not sure how they do it either, but if it is of any help calming your worries: even people being allocated now, who have been unconditional for months, are not getting their first choice, so they seem to be holding back some of the rooms for us who become unconditional later :biggrin:
Original post by MiriamG
what is it, what do you need it for? (I'm RUK as well, and wondering whether I am forgetting to do something)

some places (student residences and some private houses) ask for a Guarantor for the rent. Basically is somebody working in the UK that says "I guarantee he/she's going to pay, otherwise, I can do it"

If they didn't ask you for it, way better :P

A suggestion I can give is to try to ask help from your promoter (for PhD students coming from abroad)
Reply 548
Original post by TurkeyPi
hey, sorry if something similar has already been asked but can someone recommend some halls. I definitely want to have self-catered accommodation and have my own small room. Anything close to where computer science lectures are and an en-suite would be bonus. Any ideas?

bump
Original post by dizzeedollee

Well if you're an A Level candidate you won't receive an offer until after results day because you won't be UF until then. Allocations are made proportionally. When they make a round of offers they take account of previous years. So if they know that they have previously had 3 applicants for every 2 spaces in a building, when they fill the first 20 spaces, they will place 10 people who that building as their first choice somewhere else. In reality, the vast bulk of applicants are from England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland/Ireland and are waiting for results to become UF, so you're not at any particular disadvantage.

Original post by TurkeyPi
bump

Hi, sorry, but we're not going to work out your life for you! There are decent maps available along with the Accommodation Services website. I should point out there's very little self-catered ensuite available.
Reply 550
Original post by MiriamG
from what I heard, there's not much difference. Generally, go for the smallest room offered, as it is cheaper

Thanks, glad to hear that, will go for the cheapest option then :biggrin:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Well if you're an A Level candidate you won't receive an offer until after results day because you won't be UF until then. Allocations are made proportionally. When they make a round of offers they take account of previous years. So if they know that they have previously had 3 applicants for every 2 spaces in a building, when they fill the first 20 spaces, they will place 10 people who that building as their first choice somewhere else. In reality, the vast bulk of applicants are from England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland/Ireland and are waiting for results to become UF, so you're not at any particular disadvantage.

^
Ah I see, ok that's goodish news then. Thank you!
Reply 552
Original post by RozeeColton
Just confirmed mine :smile: Any one else Flat() , 1 Kincaid's Court or nearby? I'm room ()! x

Original post by louisianna
Flat ()College Wynd, anyone else?? :smile:

This was said on the previous page, but it bears repeating.

oxymoronic

Just a wee note about sharing details - remember that TSR is publicly visible and searchable, meaning everyone and anyone can see the details that you post. The moderation team highly recommends that you do not post your full addresses (eg: room numbers and flat numbers) on TSR and use PMs instead so that only the people you intend to share this information with get access to it. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of people wouldn't be so quick to post their full home address and/or their parents house yet everyone is incredibly quick to post full university accommodation addresses. We're not saying don't share details as it's a natural thing to want to do, more just be aware that the main forums of TSR are visible to completely everyone on the internet and it can be very easy for the world to find out a lot of personal information about someone if they're sharing accommodation details along with their facebook information/other data within the same thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 553
If you're in catered accommodation is it possible to make lunch to bring with you during the breakfast?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my u8800
Original post by Tinmar
If you're in catered accommodation is it possible to make lunch to bring with you during the breakfast?

It's obviously possible, although I should warn that bread rolls and cheese gets pretty boring after the 125th time you've done it. Officially, no food may leave the dining hall and they get pretty unpleasant about it.
Myed has been saying "A link will be posted shortly" for a week now, I'm getting impatient as I wait to see where I've been offered a room. :biggrin:
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
Myed has been saying "A link will be posted shortly" for a week now, I'm getting impatient as I wait to see where I've been offered a room. :biggrin:

Same... I must have pissed off the university by waiting so long to send them my exam certificates and this is their passive-aggressive revenge? :teehee:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 557
Hey everyone,

I was looking at the prices for accommodation here (mainly for SC residences):

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/undergraduate/ug-self-catered

I'm interested in staying in one of the UNITE residences or Beaverbank... The prices listed on the above link vary quite differently from the ones they list on their websites; is there something I'm missing here?

Cheers!
Reply 558
Also have had 'You have been allocated accommodation, a link to accept this accommodation will be posted shortly.' for almost 2 weeks now...
Reply 559
Yep same. A week here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending