The Student Room Group

will studying both business and economics be detrimental when i apply for uni

Hi im going into yr 13 doing bus, eco and geo as my a levels , I recently heard that doing both bus and eco is disliked by unis.

If true will it affect me to applying for top unis?
specifically ( York, Southampton, Exeter and Bath)
It can be the case for some unis. Have you checked the Entry Requirements section on uni websites for the course you want to study?
Original post by yupcabra23
Hi im going into yr 13 doing bus, eco and geo as my a levels , I recently heard that doing both bus and eco is disliked by unis.

Some universities would have problem. For example, LSE say here that, "A broad academic background will provide the skills to perform well in any of the challenging programmes at LSE. Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other."

What subject were you thinking of studying at York, Southampton, Exeter or Bath?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Some universities would have problem. For example, LSE say here that, "A broad academic background will provide the skills to perform well in any of the challenging programmes at LSE. Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other."

What subject were you thinking of studying at York, Southampton, Exeter or Bath?

Accounting and fiance
Accounting and fiance

I hope you'll both be very happy! 😆
Reply 5
I did Maths, Economics and Business Studies A Levels and got offers from Exeter, Bristol and Heriot Watt for A&F courses.

Durham and Edinburgh rejected me but cited over-competitive applications as the reason, not my A Level choices
Accounting and fiance

Bath is out, not for the Economics/Business thing, but because they say they want "AAA or A*AB in three A levels including A in Mathematics." (source)

I can see no indication that your A level subjects would an issue for Accounting and Finance (or similar) at the other universities you mentioned.
Reply 7
Original post by DataVenia
Bath is out, not for the Economics/Business thing, but because they say they want "AAA or A*AB in three A levels including A in Mathematics." (source)

I can see no indication that your A level subjects would an issue for Accounting and Finance (or similar) at the other universities you mentioned.

yea, instead im actually thinking of doing accounting and management at bath instead, the only thing is they require a 6 for math's but I only got a 5 due to some complicated reasons, so I was thinking of applying through contextual admissions/ mitigating circumstances which they accept a 4 for. But even then I feel like my chances are still very low
yea, instead im actually thinking of doing accounting and management at bath instead, the only thing is they require a 6 for math's but I only got a 5 due to some complicated reasons, so I was thinking of applying through contextual admissions/ mitigating circumstances which they accept a 4 for. But even then I feel like my chances are still very low

Have you considered retaking you maths GCSE alongside your A levels?
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
Have you considered retaking you maths GCSE alongside your A levels?

I wanted to but the sixth form i go to only offers foundation teir resits even though i know i could do higher, i was thinking of doing a online one but i really dont want to spend £700 on it.
I wanted to but the sixth form i go to only offers foundation teir resits even though i know i could do higher, i was thinking of doing a online one but i really dont want to spend £700 on it.

A small sum compared to the c.£50k your degree will cost you?
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
A small sum compared to the c.£50k your degree will cost you?

True, but a degree doesn't cost that much does it? I thought it would be something like 20k
(edited 9 months ago)
True, but a degree doesn't cost that much does it? I thought it would be something like 20k

Tuition fees £9,250 per year x 3 = £27,750. Plus living/accommodation costs of easily £8-10 k per year.

See above! 😳

A lesson for accounting and finance? 😃
Reply 14

9k per year for tuition fees if you're from UK. Somewhere between 20-30k per year of you're international.

Add on accommodation and living costs which can be around 10k or more per year, and you're soon past 50k for a degree

Hi!

I've spoken to our admissions team for the School for Business and Society and this was their reply:

"We accept combinations of any three subjects at A Level. It does not matter how supposedly similar they are. We would accept a combination of Maths, Further Maths and Economics just as happily as we would accept a combination of English, History and Business, for example."

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:

No because you can brag you understand busionics
At Lancaster University, the entry requirements for the Accounting and Finance course are ABB, with no specific A Levels specified. This means that there is no disadvantage to an application to the course from taking both Business and Economics.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending