The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Thanks Emmie3303 and nearlyheadlessian! I guess I'll just walk to my flat and ask kind people to help if I get lost :P
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by blahmarie
I'm an exchange student and I received accommodation at 108 Warrender Park Road... It says on the website that I have to pick up my key at 23 Warrender Park Road (but the residence is an 8 minute walk away from the key pick-up point). How long is the whole process of picking up my key? Because I'm taking a taxi straight from the airport and it might be expensive to make the taxi wait for me. On the other hand, I don't want to walk for 10 minutes with my heavy luggage in a city I don't know (plus the roads are cobblestone, I've heard). What should I do? Or should I just hail another taxi? By the way, I'll be picking up my key around 6 pm because my flight arrives at 5...

It's really easy to get between the two, about 5 mins walk if that and you won't get a taxi in that area as has been said, plus there's no need for one.
Get a taxi to 108 and leave your stuff there. It's likely that the main door to 108 will be open (there's 8 flats in there) or if not just ring the buzzer for your flat, explain you're a new flatmate and get them to let you in. The only key you'll have which will be different to your flatmates will be the one to your actual bedroom door, then you'll have the same front door key as everyone else in the building so there will be enough people around to let you in who will have access to keys. If you can get into your flat then you can leave everything in the kitchen whilst you get the key.

I lived in 108 in first year :smile:
Reply 882
Original post by i_hate_ucas
sorry to butt in but im a new undergrad student and ive been told i cant have accommodation even though i should be guaranteed because theyve just run out, there are loads of people that ive been speaking to on facebook in this situation :frown:

I'm also an undergrad with no accommodation. Can I ask where on facebook you've been speaking others in the same situation? Is there a group or are you just friends with them?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chocolatechips
Does anyone know what address we should put for post? Is it just the flat number and building address?

housenumber/flatnumber Sciennes,
Edinburgh,
EH9 XXX

Obviously add your name and you can include room number if you think it helps...
Reply 885
Right I figure this will be pretty useful for everyone but not too sure on what the actual procedure is on saturday for moving in.
Since travelling to my accommodation from home will take about 4 hours I'm staying in Edinburgh on Friday night so I can get in early on saturday morning to get moved in and miss the rush hour times when everyone arrives. Does anyone know what's meant to happen with parking to get stuff out the car? do you just pull up and have to move everything out as quick as possible, or can you actually park up a bit longer? Would it be a good idea to park there late the night before and just make my way over on foot in the morning so I'm guaranteed a space to get my stuff out in the morning?

I just don't know if parking around the accommodation will be available the night before or if it will be more hassle than its worth.

If anyone knows how it usually works could you let us know if i'm being daft, thanks!

*EDIT* Here's what it says on the site about moving in:
Please be aware that parking is extremely limited and students and their families must only stop long enough to drop off belongings and then go elsewhere to park.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AlGreen
Right I figure this will be pretty useful for everyone but not too sure on what the actual procedure is on saturday for moving in.
Since travelling to my accommodation from home will take about 4 hours I'm staying in Edinburgh on Friday night so I can get in early on saturday morning to get moved in and miss the rush hour times when everyone arrives. Does anyone know what's meant to happen with parking to get stuff out the car? do you just pull up and have to move everything out as quick as possible, or can you actually park up a bit longer? Would it be a good idea to park there late the night before and just make my way over on foot in the morning so I'm guaranteed a space to get my stuff out in the morning?

I just don't know if parking around the accommodation will be available the night before or if it will be more hassle than its worth.

If anyone knows how it usually works could you let us know if i'm being daft, thanks!

*EDIT* Here's what it says on the site about moving in:
Please be aware that parking is extremely limited and students and their families must only stop long enough to drop off belongings and then go elsewhere to park.

You move the stuff out of your car then your car needs to leave - you can't park at all. Ideally the driver should remain with the car. You will not be allowed to park in Pollock overnight.
Reply 887
Accommodation status is still You have been allocated accommodation, a link to accept this accommodation will be posted shortly.
:frown:
Reply 888
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
You move the stuff out of your car then your car needs to leave - you can't park at all. Ideally the driver should remain with the car. You will not be allowed to park in Pollock overnight.

I'm in Darroch not Pollock sorry, so do you reckon it's not worth trying to find a space nearby on friday night, I don't know the area, thanks.
Reply 889
Original post by AlGreen
I'm in Darroch not Pollock sorry, so do you reckon it's not worth trying to find a space nearby on friday night, I don't know the area, thanks.

Try Parkopedia. This links to the nearest car parks. There's one just round the corner.
Original post by aw1
I'm also an undergrad with no accommodation. Can I ask where on facebook you've been speaking others in the same situation? Is there a group or are you just friends with them?

i just put a comment in the official freshers thread:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/391381127558273/?ref=ts

there are loads of people still looking!
Reply 891
Is anybody still looking for accommodation? I have a room with Unite in Mcdonald Road that I Don't want and only way to get out of my contract is to find someone else who is willing to take the room? is there anyone is interested?
Reply 892
Original post by i_hate_ucas
i just put a comment in the official freshers thread:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/391381127558273/?ref=ts

there are loads of people still looking!

are you interested in this?? Is anybody still looking for accommodation? I have a room with Unite in Mcdonald Road that I Don't want and only way to get out of my contract is to find someone else who is willing to take the room? is there anyone is interested?
Reply 893
Hi guys,

I am not sure if any of you is still looking for accommodation but my brother still can't find anything.

He is a 3rd year Fashion Design student at ECA, so looking for something close around Old Town - Tollcross, Fountainbridge, Nicholson Street, Bruntfield, or even Newington and Marchmont.

If anybody here has a spare room they can't fill or know of someone who is letting a flat (even if it is 2 bed cos he has a friend he could move in with) PLEASE, PLEASE let me know!!

It's really urgent as he starts on Monday, so I'd really appreciate a response...thanks :smile:
So as it is now week 1 of semester 1 and you should all be moved in, I'm going to de-sticky this thread and sticky the thread for next year. If you're already in accommodation and continue to have stuff to discuss feel free to do so here, or in our Current Students thread.
Where are we supposed to put our garbage? Take it to the pantry or outside to the big container?
Original post by isusovaca
Where are we supposed to put our garbage? Take it to the pantry or outside to the big container?

Pantry.
Reply 897
hey guys.. i got 3 A's and 1 B on my As levels. i got A*AB and have an As level B. do i have any chance of receiving an unconditional offer? the course i want to study is accounting and finance
Hi is anyone still looking for accommodation? I have a self-catering flat in Portsburgh Court.
Lady Lawson Street if anyone is interested?
does anyone know which halls are near med school? cant seem to find out? thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending