The Student Room Group

Who's goin 2 Birmingham? (esp. 4 medicine)

So who here's gonna go 2 Brum? It wud b cool 2 chat. Wot course r u gonna do? (me- medicine)
I'm a bit confused bout the accommodation tho. It's ridiculously expensive 4 a start! Other unis charge about £2500 for catering accom. but Birm. charge bout £4500!!! I like the looks of Shackleton hall because it's in the centre of everything but it's also the most expensive :frown:
Also, I don't get the whole 42 week contract thing. I only wanna stay in halls during term time so why does most of the accom say it's for 42 weeks. Cud any current students enlighten me on this?
One more question 4 any current students - do u know if ppl who send the accommodation form off early get priority on wot they want?
Thanks a lot! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NNXX
Also, I don't get the whole 42 week contract thing. I only wanna stay in halls during term time so why does most of the accom say it's for 42 weeks. Cud any current students enlighten me on this?
One more question 4 any current students - do u know if ppl who send the accommodation form off early get priority on wot they want?
Thanks a lot! :smile:

Are they giving 42 week contracts for catered halls too now? Cos when I applied, the catered halls only had 30 week contracts and it was only the self-catering ones that had longer. Strange.

I think you will get priority if you send your form in early.
Reply 2
Nylex
Are they giving 42 week contracts for catered halls too now? Cos when I applied, the catered halls only had 30 week contracts and it was only the self-catering ones that had longer. Strange.

I think you will get priority if you send your form in early.

some of the catered halls do 42week contracts, (along with the 30 weeks) chamberlain, mason and shackleton do.

All self catered is 42 weeks with jarratt hall + pritchatts house+ douper hall doing 50weeks. Nothing shorter.

I know cus i have the accomodation book :biggrin:
Reply 3
Ladyluck
some of the catered halls do 42week contracts, (along with the 30 weeks) chamberlain, mason and shackleton do.

All self catered is 42 weeks with jarratt hall + pritchatts house+ douper hall doing 50weeks. Nothing shorter.

I know cus i have the accomodation book :biggrin:

I know the self-catered places this year have 42 week contracts, not sure if the price is going up for them though. Shackleton seems insanely expensive.. and it hasn't even finished being built yet.
Reply 4
By the way Birm is my first choice 2, the cost is one of the things putting me off tho! Every other uni ive visited seems to have waaay cheaper accom and nearer to campus!!

Have you accepted your offer yet?
Reply 5
So it is possible 2 have a 30 week contract in Shackleton 4 example then? The brochure says 42 weeks 4 shackleton. I'll have 2 ring them up 2 confirm whether it is poss 2 have a 30 week contract cos it seems really silly 2 be paying for 42 weeks wen I don't need 2!
Reply 6
Yes, I accepted the offer yesterday. What course r u doin ladyluck?
Reply 7
Nylex
I know the self-catered places this year have 42 week contracts, not sure if the price is going up for them though. Shackleton seems insanely expensive.. and it hasn't even finished being built yet.

shackleton is 4700. = 112 a week!! you know where all the rah's will be.
maple bank is 2750. = 65 a week,
Reply 8
NNXX
So it is possible 2 have a 30 week contract in Shackleton 4 example then? The brochure says 42 weeks 4 shackleton. I'll have 2 ring them up 2 confirm whether it is poss 2 have a 30 week contract cos it seems really silly 2 be paying for 42 weeks wen I don't need 2!

ive just looked, it says 42 but with meals for 32 of those, so no it doesnt look like it. manor house is 30 weeks, chelwood wing and hampton wing of chamberlain are too.
Reply 9
NNXX
Yes, I accepted the offer yesterday. What course r u doin ladyluck?

Law with German.
Reply 10
So wot accom r u thinkin bout choosing?
Reply 11
I'm going to put bham as my firm choice for economics not entirely sure on which accommodation to put down though
Reply 12
I have a friend studying medicine at Birmingham - Ill ask her for you.
Reply 13
mricekool- do u think ur gonna go 4 catered or self-catered?
I really can't cook (wel at the moment i cant neway- im hoping i'll learn!) so i was thinkin catered.
Reply 14
mjf, do u know if ur friend likes it?
Reply 15
NNXX
So wot accom r u thinkin bout choosing?

Self catered. Prefer independence! the spinney or the beeches look nice. Went round maple bank and it was a bit grotty.
Reply 16
NNXX
mricekool- do u think ur gonna go 4 catered or self-catered?
I really can't cook (wel at the moment i cant neway- im hoping i'll learn!) so i was thinkin catered.

i'm definately going to go for the self catering, but all the accommodation does seem pricey so i have to think about which to put down on as my preferred choice on the form
Reply 17
NNXX
mjf, do u know if ur friend likes it?

The accommodation I dont know! But medicine - yes she does. She says that it is hard work 9-6 most days and she gets tired. She has also had to work hard for her tests that they give every so often and she hasnt the results of her jan exams yet. I think that from what my other friends have said it is quite tough there academically but that is good and its a good med school. She had her reservations about going to Birmingham though as we are from Cornwall and so its a bit of a change for us who have been down here all our lives! But I think she does genuinely enjoy it now. As with anywhere I believe its what you make of it and the people who are there.
Reply 18
MrIceKool
i'm definately going to go for the self catering, but all the accommodation does seem pricey so i have to think about which to put down on as my preferred choice on the form

lol yeah. Thats why i put the beeches, its nice and is quite cheap.
Reply 19
Ladyluck
lol yeah. Thats why i put the beeches, its nice and is quite cheap.

yeah i was thinking of that one too, but i don't really mind as long as the accommodation is decent and cheap:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending