The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

JordanSHowarth
Snap, but i don't get EMA bonuses, o.k. I get a comfortable home to live in, of which im very thankfull. Nothing more, I have a part time job which pays for everything else. EMA is there to subsidise your parents low income, which I totaly aprove of. However, can't you see you shouldn't be given bonuses for simply doing your work it's just stupid! Unless, it's fairly distributed between students from all all classes.

I don't see how the bonuses are any different from anything else. :s-smilie: Particularly since they keep you going over the holidays when you're not getting regular EMA payments.

As I said, the bonuses were more important than the regular payments. Particularly for long holidays.
louisedotcom
I agree that the entitlement policy for EMA seriously needs looking at, but what you said implies that people who get EMA parents do not work hard which alot of the time is probably not the case.

My dad was in a serious accident a couple of years ago and unfortunatly as a result ended up being disabled. This means that he is unable to work and my family lost his wage. Up until this point he had never been out of a job since leaving school, he had never claimed benefits or anything of the sort. To suppliment the fact that my dad is no longer able to work my mum has had to take up more work. Sometimes working for 8 or 9 days straight without a day off, frequently doing 13 hours shifts with a 1 hour journey each way. She works a hell of alot harder than most peoples parents and I get EMA.
Just because you get EMA it does not necessarily mean your parents are lazy layabouts who dont want to work.

Im not sure if thats actually what you meant, but from that way its worded thats what it implies.

That's terrible. Your very right in what you say. But, however, do you not feel it unfair to give bonuses for the effort/progress of a pupil and not give it to others? Surely it would be fairer to say give more money to the low, low earners, as part of their weekly EMA payment?
JordanSHowarth
That's terrible. Your very right in what you say. But, however, do you not feel it unfair to give bonuses for the effort/progress of a pupil and not give it to others? Surely it would be fairer to say give more money to the low, low earners, as part of their weekly EMA payment?

No, the entire point of this incentive is so that the government know they aren't wasting their time pumping hundreds of thousands of pounds into getting kids to go to school and **** around and do nowt. :s-smilie: Sure, it'd be lovely to give everyone loads of money, but it doesn't work like that. Plenty of kids would take the money, turn up to school, not learn a thing, not go to university, and suddenly, oh dear, the scheme's failed.
generalebriety
No, the entire point of this incentive is so that the government know they aren't wasting their time pumping hundreds of thousands of pounds into getting kids to go to school and **** around and do nowt. :s-smilie: Sure, it'd be lovely to give everyone loads of money, but it doesn't work like that. Plenty of kids would take the money, turn up to school, not learn a thing, not go to university, and suddenly, oh dear, the scheme's failed.

Then there payments should stop all together.:s-smilie:
And sorry, the question was directed at another person:biggrin: I've given up trying to put my point across to you now, you seem incapable of accepting there are other opinions.
JordanSHowarth
And sorry, the question was directed at another person:biggrin: I've given up trying to put my point across to you now, you seem incapable of accepting there are other opinions.

I accept that you have another opinion, and I disagree with it, because it's an opinion, and I'm allowed to do that. :rolleyes:

EMA has got me through sixth form. So I'm all in favour of it. End of story on my part.
generalebriety
I accept that you have another opinion, and I disagree with it, because it's an opinion, and I'm allowed to do that. :rolleyes:

EMA has got me through sixth form. So I'm all in favour of it. End of story on my part.

:s-smilie: But so am I. However, I don't agree with certain aspects of it, which is why it's under reviewment by the goverment. It's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of the majority; making you an anolnmy of the results:rolleyes: Even EMA recievers have agreed with me, as you will see if you actualy look back through this thread. (Do your reading first)
JordanSHowarth
:s-smilie: But so am I. However, I don't agree with certain aspects of it, which is why it's under reviewment by the goverment. It's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of the majority; making you an anolnmy of the results:rolleyes: Even EMA recievers have agreed with me, as you will see if you actualy look back through this thread. (Do your reading first)

Do my reading first? I have first hand experience and have seen more of these threads than you've made posts on this forum, mate. I know what EMA's about. And that doesn't stop me having my opinion, and I've given my reasons. If you don't agree, great! Independent thought. I don't really care much.
generalebriety
Do my reading first? I have first hand experience and have seen more of these threads than you've made posts on this forum, mate. I know what EMA's about. And that doesn't stop me having my opinion, and I've given my reasons. If you don't agree, great! Independent thought. I don't really care much.

Then why are you still here ATEMPTING to construct an argument, of which you are clearly lossing?:rolleyes:
Oh, I've made many more posts than you, on my other acount! You talk ****.
First hand experience? Exactly, biased, anyone would say they are intitaled to more money, if they were on the recieving end of it! lmao you are funny!
JordanSHowarth
Then why are you still here ATEMPTING to construct an argument, of which you are clearly lossing?:rolleyes:

I'm not losing, I'm trying to be polite and keep replying to your posts while actually wishing you'd shut the **** up. I can't be arsed maintaining an argument with someone who's just having a go at me.

JordanSHowarth
Oh, I've made many more posts than you, on my other acount! You talk ****.

Heh. Ok then. :rolleyes:

JordanSHowarth
First hand experience? Exactly, biased, anyone would say they are intitaled to more money, if they were on the recieving end of it! lmao you are funny!

Except you, apparently. In fact, you're in the majority, even among EMA receivers. I'm the anomaly. Apparently.
generalebriety
I'm not losing, I'm trying to be polite and keep replying to your posts while actually wishing you'd shut the **** up. I can't be arsed maintaining an argument with someone who's just having a go at me.

Heh. Ok then. :rolleyes:

Except you, apparently. In fact, you're in the majority, even among EMA receivers. I'm the anomaly. Apparently.

OK you can go now:biggrin: You've said your piece which i'm sure everyone agrees with:rolleyes:
JordanSHowarth
OK you can go now:biggrin: You've said your piece which i'm sure everyone agrees with:rolleyes:

Fankoo sir.

Everyone rep that man for such an amazing set of posts.
generalebriety
Fankoo sir.

Everyone rep that man for such an amazing set of posts.

Hmm, lowest form of whit?
JordanSHowarth

Well as I said in my original post I do believe the entitlement policy thing needs looking at as there are alot of loop holes, and alot of underserving people get it and alot of those who need it, dont recieve it.

Having said that the whole point of EMA was to enable students who may not be able to afford to have continued their education to do so. Had I not got EMA, I wouldnt have been able to afford my expensive photography course, potentially wouldnt have been able to continue my education after GCSE atall, and consequently I wouldnt be going to uni this year.

That is what EMA was originally for, to give people the oppertunity to continue their education when they otherwise may not have been able to.

Im not naive enough to believe that this is always the case though, I know the system is abused.

But as someone else said, if everyone got EMA there would still be a divide- those from poorer families who may spend their EMA paying for food and basic living necessities that their parents may not be able to provide, and those from families who were better off using the money for going out and to spend on themselves.

I completely understand what your saying, it does seem unfair. Although I feel thats largely because its a somewhat flawed system. If you take into consideration the original reason EMA was brought out though, you cant really argue with the fact that It does fulfill its purpose to help people who couldnt otherwise afford it, to study after GCSE. It was never intended souly as a reward.
ayesha ray
i hope dats a joke!!:mad:

i think the rules of EMA are wrong. why should some people be excluded from get it only because their parent work or work hard for a living?

OMG ****** alert.
People like you anger me so I am forced to refer you to a post of mine from another thread, since I am unable to simply leave and browse another thread without replying to the arse gravy you have posted.

We were arguing about benefits in general but the EMA idea still fits in.

Fishfinger Sandwich
I absolutely loathe your attitude.

People who recieve benefits are not "scroungers" they are poor and although there are some people who abuse the system, the majority of people who get benefits work just as hard as people who don't.
When my dad left we survived on benefits for a while and my mum worked two jobs whilst bringing up two kids by herself. She worked ****ing hard; a damn site harder than most people. Then she gets labled a "scrounger" and "lazy" by people like you. The whole "why don't you work for a living instead of scrounging?" attitude is absolute *******s. There are a million reasons why a person could be poor, even if they work hard. Social mobility is no-where near as easy to achieve as people like you seem to think it is. Not everyone has the same opportunities in life and it's about time people like you jumped down off your high horses and realised that.
The fact that you don't recieve any grants means that you're parents are well off. The state assume that your parents will assist you if you have any finncial problems whilst you're at uni, since they clearly have enough money to do so. Sure, some people don't get grants and then their parents give them no money. They are unlucky, but the system is actually pretty good because it is a safe assumption that parents will help their children out.
louisedotcom
Well as I said in my original post I do believe the entitlement policy thing needs looking at as there are alot of loop holes, and alot of underserving people get it and alot of those who need it, dont recieve it.

Having said that the whole point of EMA was to enable students who may not be able to afford to have continued their education to do so. Had I not got EMA, I wouldnt have been able to afford my expensive photography course, potentially wouldnt have been able to continue my education after GCSE atall, and consequently I wouldnt be going to uni this year.

That is what EMA was originally for, to give people the oppertunity to continue their education when they otherwise may not have been able to.

Im not naive enough to believe that this is always the case though, I know the system is abused.

But as someone else said, if everyone got EMA there would still be a divide- those from poorer families who may spend their EMA paying for food and basic living necessities that their parents may not be able to provide, and those from families who were better off using the money for going out and to spend on themselves.

I completely understand what your saying, it does seem unfair. Although I feel thats largely because its a somewhat flawed system. If you take into consideration the original reason EMA was brought out though, you cant really argue with the fact that It does fulfill its purpose to help people who couldnt otherwise afford it, to study after GCSE. It was never intended souly as a reward.

Yup, couldn't agree with you more. It's also nice to see that somebody can construct a balanced argument, unlike some ******s on this forum. The system is extremely successfull; allowing people from less economicly able backgrounds to continue their education and achieve their acedmic potential, which will in turn reduce the benifits they will require in later life. However, I still feel strongly about reconsidering the provision of these cash bonuses to only regular EMA recievers:biggrin:
Reply 96
generalebriety
Some would say it was just as unfair that our parents get paid different amounts for working the same amount, just in different fields. :wink:

No, the bonuses are for people who do well, the £30 a week is for attendance.

And again, stereotyping. All my EMA money was spent on food for the family. We never went hungry, but even with EMA it wasn't comfortable. Stop assuming all students keep their money. Maybe the ones you hear about are the ones who brag about getting £30 extra to spend on nights out, and the ones who use it sensibly just don't want to enter into huge debates over whether they "need" it or are spongers.

WHAT THE HELL? OMG...man i feel so sad... :s-smilie: ...****eeee . Its the basterd abusers of EMA that piss me off now, i know ppl who just buy tons of clothes and what not with this cash, dudes like you who actually need it are gettign ripped off, as you wouldve and shouldve got more per week if they checked out everyones real circumstances. Man i have a ton of respect for ya! ... and i think by hearing that, EMA should be increased... £30 aint enough by far for a whole weeks food man... no way..thats not fair dude, its hurting me inside. Well the system needs to change, and do something like inside checks and what not. They all cost money though...so meh they couldnt care less.

God Bless.
T_Bag
WHAT THE HELL? OMG...man i feel so sad... :s-smilie: ...****eeee . Its the basterd abusers of EMA that piss me off now, i know ppl who just buy tons of clothes and what not with this cash, dudes like you who actually need it are gettign ripped off, as you wouldve and shouldve got more per week if they checked out everyones real circumstances. Man i have a ton of respect for ya! ... and i think by hearing that, EMA should be increased... £30 aint enough by far for a whole weeks food man... no way..thats not fair dude, its hurting me inside. Well the system needs to change, and do something like inside checks and what not. They all cost money though...so meh they couldnt care less.

God Bless.

Please, try not to text talk.
Reply 98
JordanSHowarth
Please, try not to text talk.

Umm all i used was 'ppl' instead of people... and that pissed you off? Ouch.

Soz...i mean sorry. :smile:
T_Bag

God Bless.

No. The hole text is riddled with typos and text talk. Please refrain from doing so, it makes it hard to read. It's an academic forum and against the rules to use such text. Stop being so lazy and write things out properly!

Latest

Trending

Trending