The Student Room Group

Anyone feel their lessons are pointless?

I swear some lessons are a waste of time and we would be better off going on stand down now to revise ourselves.

In Psychology the exam questions are like "Explain what Psychologist have found out about..." so all you have to do is reel off aload of studies. But instead of learning studies in lesson our teacher is like "Read that at home, we will do some background today and then evaluate the study tomorrow". Why learn background when it's not on the exam and evaluation is common sense, so why waste lesson time!?

One of my Biology teachers has the most boring, monotone voice EVER, so I sit and daydream in his lessons and learn nothing then either lol...that's my fault for not listening though!

Do other people have lessons like this? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Damn straight, I feel the same way. All my classes are pointless. I would be better off doing it myself.
Yup..

Just keep jumping through their hoops and get the piece of paper at the end of your exams. That's all that matters.
Reply 3
Ditto that. I missed a LOT of my AS classes through illness, and still ended up getting some of the highest marks in one of my subjects, and the highest in another. Sometimes it pays to do it yourself.
Reply 4
Attending my lessons is pointless because all I've got left is coursework, and I can do that at home.
I'm still getting grilled for not going in though, ringing up my parents and alsorts. Its disgraceful imo.
d0mz
Attending my lessons is pointless because all I've got left is coursework, and I can do that at home.
I'm still getting grilled for not going in though, ringing up my parents and alsorts. Its disgraceful imo.

My college is like that. In my opinion, they really shouldn't be doing things like ringing parents at this stage.

They should take the "It's your choice to be here, spend your time as you please" approach.
Reply 6
what about the exams in june. where most of you lot need to get grades to get into your uni. For me its 3 As. Don't you need lessons to help you learn?
Rubix
Don't you need lessons to help you learn?

lulz..

At my college, we don't have lessons, we just have wikipedia referencing hours.
Reply 8
GodspeedGehenna
My college is like that. In my opinion, they really shouldn't be doing things like ringing parents at this stage.

They should take the "It's your choice to be here, spend your time as you please" approach.

Well, my schools excuse for it when I talked to them rationally about it was 'this was the package you signed up for, and in hindsight you should have chose something which means you didnt have to be in all the time' ie suggesting that I should have gone to a s**** college which doesnt even know my name.
I don't know what I'm talking about. Lol.
Reply 9
yep, today we had the useful lesson of take notes
English language. Our teacher turns up generally about 20 minutes late, then moans about her life for about another 15. That leaves 35 minutes for us to read a passage out loud from the textbook. It's ridiculous.
Reply 11
If I were given lots of study leave or was on holiday - like I am now - I never seem to get much done. At 6th form I can just go to the library, do stuff in lessons - and then by the time I get home I know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing (e.g. a paper) and generally can manage my time a lot better. In a way, I'm glad I've got lessons up until not long before the exams. Having said all of that, I'd like it if lessons were optional now up until exams! :biggrin:

That's the best of both worlds - but I could miss French lessons and just go to Maths/English (as I haven't finished the syllabus in either of those).
Reply 12
Its a joke with the whole ringing parents thing. We don't even get study leave so I take some self-appointed leave. We just watch videos and rubbish in class anyway. Not productive at all.
Rubix
what about the exams in june. where most of you lot need to get grades to get into your uni. For me its 3 As. Don't you need lessons to help you learn?

What we are saying is that our lessons are pointless because we aren't learning the material which is going to get us 3 A's.
I'd happily attend my lessons if they were useful, but I'm saying I feel that I could be doing more useful things on my own at home.
Reply 14
Crystaltears
What we are saying is that our lessons are pointless because we aren't learning the material which is going to get us 3 A's.
I'd happily attend my lessons if they were useful, but I'm saying I feel that I could be doing more useful things on my own at home.

Exactly...the stuff we do has nothing to do with my exams. If I was AS and had no offers and was in a position to have a laugh I'd be fine with it. However, all the time we have now is precious, and I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I don't have the time to waste it in class.
I completely agree with this.

I had my report through last week and it says my attitude towards college is unacceptable from all 4 of my tutors! I laughed and threw it away. Just because I'm not in their stupid classes does not mean I'm not working. I know for a fact that I've done more work and it's of better quality than 90% of my classmates. I don't see the point of traveling an hour or more to get to college for a three hour 'workshop' class and then traveling back when I could be staying at home and doing more.

And I hate that because I'm absent they assume I don't care about college. Tutors know so very little.

</rant>
Reply 16
dont even get me started on how pointless my lessons at college are lol in english last year we took a closed book exam on Spies. i had my teacher 'teaching' me for like half a year. i got a U. i had a private tutor teach me for four hours. i got a B. 'nuff said. :p:
Aside from actually reading the texts with us, both of my English Lit teachers are ****ing USELESS. Thank god I actually have an aptitude for the subject, I'd be screwed otherwise, as a lot of people in the class already are. It's worrying how the exams are mid-May, and we haven't done one practice paper question, been handed back an essay aside from coursework, or gone through how to structure an essay yet.
I'm so lazy outside school that I'm glad the lessons are there to make me work. :p:
yeah, in english lit we started the poetry part 8 lessons ago, and we're still doing background information on the poet. excluding the first lesson on poetry, where we'd spent it doing some of Duffys work, then she turned around and said, "by the way, we're doing William Blake for the exam" :frown:

oh, and most of our media classes are cancelled, she once went 3 weeks in a row cancelling lessons, and she cancels every friday (which is last lesson after a double free) but she gets in a right stress if you don't go and say that you're there :rolleyes:. and the ones that she doesn't cancel, she gives us a sheet and tells us to go to the library and learn it ourselves. (which is useless because the 6th formers don't even have their own library, so it is overrun with mainstreamers)

Quick Reply

Latest