The Student Room Group

What's your idea of good GCSE grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah1994
How did I get 35 negative rep's for this? I wasn't actually being serious...!

Don't mean to be pedantic, but again with the apostrophes. I would ignore it if I thought it was a typo, but it seems you genuinely don't know how to use them. EDIT: Unless you were consciously using it to fill in the 'utation' bit?

haha well sorry, but it was meant in a sarcastic tone when i wrote it, i don't actually think that!

I know, it is annoying when you write a comment with a certain rhetoric and everyone completely misinterprets it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Azarimanka
I agree entirely - this is why we should not have comprehensives: people who are not academic and people who are academic should be seperated and allowed to dowhat they are good at... ie the Grammar school system.

ok ok we agree :smile: I survived a comprehensive but it has been a very dull experience, I am so jealous of the extra curric and academic goings on at Grammars.

Your first post seemed a little inconsiderate sorry :L
Original post by When you see it...
Don't mean to be pedantic, but again with the apostrophes. I would ignore it if I thought it was a typo, but it seems you genuinely don't know how to use them.

I know, it is annoying when you write a comment with a certain rhetoric and everyone completely misinterprets it.

Chill out a bit, i put a sarcy comment i didn''''''''t expect so much to come from it. Oh and ironic really but i got 10 A*'s. (note use of apostrophes)
Chill out a bit, i put a sarcy comment i didn''''''''t expect so much to come from it. Oh and ironic really but i got 10 A*'s. (note use of apostrophes)

Ahem.
'
Whyyour sig only say you have 11 then?

Can't count :P
I think it's totally subjective.

One of my closest mates worked his arse off, got something like ABBCCCDDEE and was really proud - and rightly so, because he worked hard and achieved his potential. For him, his GCSEs were 'good'.

I got 4 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs and I'm reasonably pleased with them, since they were something like 3rd best in my year. However, if I attended a really good public school or selective grammar school, my results might be considered average by comparison.
To be honest good GCSE grades are just higher than what you genuinely expected to get.
double post :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by burgerrr
However, if someone ends up taking wrong GCSE subjects, potentially 4 grades could be ruined as a result of choices made in y9.

Ah, this. Food Tech? What was I thinking?
It completely depends on the individual, but if they're happy with them, then they're good!
Reply 110
I'd say it depends on the school. In a school where less than 50% of the students achieve 5 A*-C's then a B would be quite good. Personally, I think a mixture of A-B's is good but not great. Definately good enough to deserve to go onto A-levels though :smile:
Reply 111
176 A*s.

I really couldn't care what you guys think. If an individual gets less than this then in my eyes they're a failure.
Reply 112
I think 5 C is a reasonable grades and i didn't get that yet im doing my A levels and im doing better than the student who have a*'s. People who say it was piss easy obviously don't respect what they got. iv had to work for my grades i did all that i could do to get them. people i know who think its easy, most didn't even try and now looking them up they either dropped out or settled for a low paid job when they could have done better.the problem with this thread is that if someone like me reads this they would feel like that they've failed and that makes me angry as long as you do your best and are willing to do your best then that is what you get out of life. but i do know some really intelligent people who did there best and are now doing really well and would agree with me on this. yes it depends on the person but even the intelligent people can have a very small mind to be so arrogant as some of these.
Reply 113
Put it this way - TSR users GCSE grades are not normally distributed, but negatively skewed
Original post by burgerrr

However, if someone ends up taking wrong GCSE subjects, potentially 4 grades could be ruined as a result of choices made in y9.

Disagree entirely. If you are bright and have self-respect, you should put the effort in no matter what, as you know employers and/or uni will see it somewhere down the line.

I hated Art and knew it was totally irrelevant for what I want to do. But a random C in art would make it appear that I won't put effort in to things I don't enjoy. I personally don't want people to think that about me.

So I put the effort in and got the A*.
Reply 115
But GCSEs are Piss easy. I screwed up in my opinion - I got 2As and 1B along with 8A*. I suppose if you are just going to leave school **** grades are fine

If you're looking for praise, you won't find much on TSR. Go somewhere else.
Reply 116
Original post by bong
Put it this way - TSR users GCSE grades are not normally distributed, but negatively skewed

Great description!
Original post by uttamo
If you're looking for praise, you won't find much on TSR. Go somewhere else.

Mate I really do not need the 'praise' of the people on this site.
Reply 118
Mate I really do not need the 'praise' of the people on this site.

You have good GCSEs and you're coming on here saying they're 'piss easy'. How do you think people who have tried hard and got like 1 or 2 A*s feel?
Original post by uttamo
You have good GCSEs and you're coming on here saying they're 'piss easy'. How do you think people who have tried hard and got like 1 or 2 A*s feel?

HAHA

Quick Reply

Latest