The Student Room Group

Is English language GCSE more important than humanities GCSE for law?

I got a 6 in English language, and 2 9s in History and Geography, an 8 in English literature. Would the 6 in Language be too bad for law at Oxbridge? (overall GCSEs: 99999998866)
First of all, well done on the amazing result!

To apply to a Russell group University, you need 5 GCSEs with grades 4 or 5 (according to Google). So I think you definitely qualify for an application to Oxbridge. Check the entry requirements on Oxbridge websites. That might give you some idea on what they are looking for.

Hope this helps.

PS. I am not an expert in this so, please feel free to correct me.
Reply 2
Original post by chloechan821
I got a 6 in English language, and 2 9s in History and Geography, an 8 in English literature. Would the 6 in Language be too bad for law at Oxbridge? (overall GCSEs: 99999998866)

I think you would probably be ok, Oxbridge (particularly Oxford) does put quite a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades (as they are the grades that you've actually achieved when you apply) but considering the rest are so good, it shouldn't be too much of a worry. If there is a particular reason as to why you got the two sixes (e.g. you missed a lot of the lessons due to illness or the teacher changed part way through the year), then it might be a good idea to have your school mention it in your teacher's reference, if that's something they are willing to do!
I hope this was helpful and well done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending