The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B - 19th June 2012 (Pre-release: Nepal)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ryaaaaannnnn

It says in the A2 textbook as an examiner tip to back up your opinions with evidence to ensure good marks, is evidence from the AIB good enough or is the evidence supposed to come from our own further research for the marks? Are we expected to recall statistics we've researched? :|

In order to get good marks you need to really go further than the booklet. Examples of poor answers just use facts pulled from the AIB, you need to research further i.e demographics, percentages of fuel usage, tourism numbers etc etc. That doesn't mean to say don't use the AIB as you need to use it, but you also need to supplement the AIB info with your own research and knowledge. :smile:
Reply 81
What is everyone's thoughts on the two photographs on Page 10?
Original post by Harry.K
It's stapled on the left hand corner.. I'll go into school tomorrow and sort it out.. and I never read the info on the front :facepalm:

Its only the real one if its on glossy paper with 2 staples down the middle. Because its stapled in the left hand corner, it doesn't sound like the official one to me. Schools would be mad to hand out the proper one :wink:
Original post by Alia223
What is everyone's thoughts on the two photographs on Page 10?

In terms of suitability for HEP, the first one, not very suitable: would require a lot of displacement, lack of a water source, does not seem to naturally hold water, the soil look dry (probably a bad boring capacity), and there is probably poor infrastructure. The first one also has evidence of tourism - deforestation, paths, big double storey buildings that would be superfluous to just the normal requirements of the Nepalese.

The second one, I think has a slightly better HEP suitability than the first one - it has a natural U shaped valley and has some supply of water. But again, there are issues - looks very remote and inaccessible, likely with no access, would require some displacement, again soil looks dry, the water supply is not much - just a misfit stream braided channel. Also there are evidence of glacial features here that might be worth mentioning. I've labled a u-shaped valley, lateral moraine, pyrimidal peak, arete, scree and the misfit stream.

Hope this helps, I dunno if its what they wanted :/
Original post by katiehockey22
Its only the real one if its on glossy paper with 2 staples down the middle. Because its stapled in the left hand corner, it doesn't sound like the official one to me. Schools would be mad to hand out the proper one :wink:

I don't think they are allowed to are they? I know ours are locked up in a safe in the exams office, not to be touched until tomorrow. TOMORROW?!! oh god D:
Reply 85
Original post by Ryaaaaannnnn

It says in the A2 textbook as an examiner tip to back up your opinions with evidence to ensure good marks, is evidence from the AIB good enough or is the evidence supposed to come from our own further research for the marks? Are we expected to recall statistics we've researched? :|

if you go through the examiners reports they are constantly saying to get the top bands that you have to include information outside of the AIB. what i am doing is intensely revising outside research rather than the booklet itself - you'll have that in the exam so there is no point stressing about learning that, you won't have your extra notes.
something i thought was quite useful to know that wasn't included in the AIB was that in 2006 a 10 year civil war ended and there has been continuing political instability, which you can relate to development and the economy.
Original post by imightbewrong
I don't think they are allowed to are they? I know ours are locked up in a safe in the exams office, not to be touched until tomorrow. TOMORROW?!! oh god D:

I think they are cos the teachers get enough copies on the day they are released, but no spares, so if someone forgot it they'd be screwed. I think most schools put them with the question paper - its the most sensible option.

We've got the olympic torch going past our school at around 13.35 and the exam starts at 13.20 so that'll be fun :/ Hopefully the questions will be nice :smile:
I think they are cos the teachers get enough copies on the day they are released, but no spares, so if someone forgot it they'd be screwed. I think most schools put them with the question paper - its the most sensible option.

We've got the olympic torch going past our school at around 13.35 and the exam starts at 13.20 so that'll be fun :/ Hopefully the questions will be nice :smile:

There we are then. Yes, I think my college will just give them to use with a question paper.

On the bright side, this exam is 1hr 30 - sooo much nicer than the 2hr 30 epic that was GEOG3. On the extremely dark side, you have to answer every question with no choice. Ho hum. I guess this means they have to make the questions more generic (?) but this is equally a point of downfall.

Sort of just want to go and do this exam, the waiting makes me feel like there is constantly more to do, and I really need to focus on an exam I have on friday now - I feel so much of it depends on how well you bring together different information in the exam and correlate things.
I'm stressing quite a bit...we haven't learnt about glaciers at school so i have no idea about them at all?!

Isn't the exam at 9?
Original post by LifeRocks000
Isn't the exam at 9?

i thought the same thing when i read that :s-smilie:
Original post by chazbonleolion
I'm stressing quite a bit...we haven't learnt about glaciers at school so i have no idea about them at all?!

Niether have I : ) They can't ask you any thing specifically about them, but I think its good info to put in. This may help for the 2nd pic item 4:

Glacial features annotated in Photo 2
U-Shaped valley
Lateral moraine - material that is deposited at the side of the glacier
Arete - Knife-edge ridges, formed when two corries erode back to back (a corrie is a hollow in the mountain where glaciers start)
Pyramidal Peak: A sharp edged peak formed with 3 corries erode back to back e.g. Mt Everest
Misfit stream: a stream that is far too small to have eroded the valley which the stream occupies
Scree: accumulation of broken rock fragments at the base of the valley sides
Reply 92
Im a tad confused about this whole small scale versus large scale energy supplies.

Is large scale just HEP? and is small scale biogas, solar cooking, etc?
For the practical action website do we need to know reports or anything?
Niether have I : ) They can't ask you any thing specifically about them, but I think its good info to put in. This may help for the 2nd pic item 4:

Glacial features annotated in Photo 2
U-Shaped valley
Lateral moraine - material that is deposited at the side of the glacier
Arete - Knife-edge ridges, formed when two corries erode back to back (a corrie is a hollow in the mountain where glaciers start)
Pyramidal Peak: A sharp edged peak formed with 3 corries erode back to back e.g. Mt Everest
Misfit stream: a stream that is far too small to have eroded the valley which the stream occupies
Scree: accumulation of broken rock fragments at the base of the valley sides

wow thank you so much! tomorrow will be my last exam, can't wait for it to all be over! I've definitely hit the 'wall' haha
Can they ask us about glacial features even if we have never studied it? :s-smilie:
Original post by Father Ted
Can they ask us about glacial features even if we have never studied it? :s-smilie:

No, they can't, said that above. :smile: It's just information you might like to add, to show the examiner you are a crafty geographer who can pull lots of different things together and learn new info :wink:
No, they can't, said that above. :smile: It's just information you might like to add, to show the examiner you are a crafty geographer who can pull lots of different things together and learn new info :wink:

Ahhh, thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 98
Original post by chazbonleolion
i thought the same thing when i read that :s-smilie:

Mine says 9 but they may have another exam on that day
Original post by Tarjers

4. The Advance Information Booklet advised you to carry out research using the Practical Action website.
a. Describe one project, funded by Practical Action, that is designed to provide access to sustainable energy supplies in Nepal. (6 marks) [Based on Q2a June 2011]
b. Write a justification for spending UK taxpayers’ money on projects to support people who live in Nepal. (12 marks) [Based on Q2b June 2011]

How would people answer these two questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending