The Student Room Group

AQA History of Art AS Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cogarch
I'm impressed by your resourcefulness. Are you taking HOA at home because it isn't taught at your school? If so how do you handle this and all the workload from you other A Levels as well? Or are you just doing it independently?

Hi, I am just doing the subject as a hobby, as I am in my 40s and work part-time. As I said in my previous post this evening, I don't know if I will actually take the exam - it really seems like a mammoth task and I would not be happy if I achieved anything less than an A grade!! I have no deadline, it may be 5 years before I take the exam, so I have no pressure at all, I will do it if and when I feel ready. As I say, I am doing it for enjoyment. Re your daughter, I'm afraid I have no knowledge of even what an EPQ is! All I can really recommend to anyone, doing any exam really, is to thoroughly study the information provided on the website, as gives you the clearest idea of what the examiners are looking for. Being older and wiser than when I took my O Levels way back in the 1980s, I wouldn't rely on just what the teacher teaches nowadays - the teacher might not be any good!

I can only recommend to every student they go the extra mile. It's a tough jobs market out there and CVs have really got to shine to stand out from the crowd. I would recommend your daughter get some good and varied work experience too, eg in an art gallery & a museum (I wish I had done that when I was younger). There are some good, even great, jobs out there, but (as I'm sure you are already aware) competition is fierce. Art history is lovely and fun but you have to be pretty special to make a career or a living out of it. I certainly hope she is successful in whatever she decides to do. Best wishes .:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
You should be able to choose examples that are flexible and end up with fewer than you suggest. Moreover your approach may not allow for the range of possible questions within a themes, so patronage could be 'public' or 'private'. Try making a grid as suggested above, and try to think of, say, a portrait that is also an example of oil painting and of patronage, so you can be more flexible and less fixed.
Reply 22
I've just started my gap year and am thinking about taking History of Art (AS & A2) as I wanted to learn some history and theory before I go to uni to study Architecture.
I would be entering as a private student, having self-taught the subject, but from the sounds of it it requires a lot of work and reading. As I intended to read a lot this year I am not too off put by that factor, however I am rather concerned about the practicality of taking all 4 units in one year, and wondered if you think it is possible to do so, obtaining a high grade, whilst also working?
Due to my university course, I already have knowledge of aspects of Architecture, and am confident in my ability to learn quickly, but wonder if entering the exam would be a mistake?
Hi, I'm also studying my a levels online by distance learning, I really want to also take the History of Art a level but I couldnt find any schools that offer it online- could you please tell me what online school youre taking it with and how do you find it? thank you:smile:
Does anyone know where i can find past papers for unit 1? The AQA website only goes back to 2011!
thanks for any help
Original post by emlwalker
Does anyone know where i can find past papers for unit 1? The AQA website only goes back to 2011!
thanks for any help

I doubt you'll be able to find any if they're not on AQA's website.

Having said that, it might be worth picking a random sculpture, building and painting and analysing those. As long as you can tick off every formal feature and what that might contribute to the painting then you'll be fine.

EDIT: if you want, I can give you three;

Georges Braque - Houses at L'Estaque (1908)

Le Corbusier - Villa Savoye (1931)

Umberto Boccioni - Unique Forms of Continuity in Space (1913)

Apologies for using all three from the same time period but 1900-1945 is one of the periods we do for HART4. Hope this helps. It also means I have a vague idea of how they should be analysed :')
(edited 8 years ago)
I have been doing Art History AS for a year now but doing only 1h a week with a teacher at my school. However he's been cancelling the lessons for the past few months and the exams are in less than two weeks. Due to the lack of time we have only studied paintings. Because we havent done them in a lot of detain I am barely able to categorize these paintings into themes. Is anyone able to help me list three paintings for each theme we will have in Unit 2. For instance The Raft of the Meduca can be classed under 'social and historical contexts'. I have of course tried to categorize them into a table myself but I couldn't! Please help!
Original post by Guills on wheels
I doubt you'll be able to find any if they're not on AQA's website.

Having said that, it might be worth picking a random sculpture, building and painting and analysing those. As long as you can tick off every formal feature and what that might contribute to the painting then you'll be fine.

EDIT: if you want, I can give you three;

Georges Braque - Houses at L'Estaque (1908)

Le Corbusier - Villa Savoye (1931)

Umberto Boccioni - Unique Forms of Continuity in Space (1913)

Apologies for using all three from the same time period but 1900-1945 is one of the periods we do for HART4. Hope this helps. It also means I have a vague idea of how they should be analysed :')

Good idea thank you! and thanks for the examples
Original post by GeorgeAnne
I have been doing Art History AS for a year now but doing only 1h a week with a teacher at my school. However he's been cancelling the lessons for the past few months and the exams are in less than two weeks. Due to the lack of time we have only studied paintings. Because we havent done them in a lot of detain I am barely able to categorize these paintings into themes. Is anyone able to help me list three paintings for each theme we will have in Unit 2. For instance The Raft of the Meduca can be classed under 'social and historical contexts'. I have of course tried to categorize them into a table myself but I couldn't! Please help!

It depends what periods of art you have studied as the exam allows anything from 500BC - 2000AD! Therefore you may not have studied my examples, but the paintings i am doing are:
Subjects+Genres:
Gentile's Adoration of the Magi and Masaccio's Tribute Money
Form+Style:
Wilton Diptych and Masaccio's Trinity
Materials+Techniques:
Piero della Francesca's Resurrection and Caravaggio's Calling of St. Matthew
Historical+Social Contexts:
Caravaggio's Supper at Emmaus and Goya's Third of May
Patronage:
Botticelli's Primavera and Gentile's Adoration of the Magi

The other themes I havent used painting examples, as for instance 'Form+Function' would only ever be Architecture.

Hope this helps
Unfortunately I am only doing from the 1800's - 2000AD art. This does, however, include all my favourite and of course the most well known art periods!
I take history of art at school , the key for me is to couple the case studies together. for example , for historical context I put Delacroix's liberty leading the people with Ucello's battle of san romano as they work rlly well . Hart one is just all about practice (have done so many practices my teachers ran out lol )
Original post by faithismyname
I take history of art at school , the key for me is to couple the case studies together. for example , for historical context I put Delacroix's liberty leading the people with Ucello's battle of san romano as they work rlly well . Hart one is just all about practice (have done so many practices my teachers ran out lol )

How many paintings are you learning all together then (for unit 2)? Also in unit 2 do we compare and contrast the two examples we use?
How many paintings are you learning all together then (for unit 2)? Also in unit 2 do we compare and contrast the two examples we use?

I'm learning 9 paintings, 6 sculptures and 4 buildings
You only compare and contrast if the question tells you to, if it just says 'discuss...' you don't have to
Original post by emlwalker
I'm learning 9 paintings, 6 sculptures and 4 buildings
You only compare and contrast if the question tells you to, if it just says 'discuss...' you don't have to

Okays thank you! I'm feeling more positive now.

I was wondering if anyone had any example essays for the AS exam, most importantly one about paintings for Unit 2? I can't find any online and my teacher has non. I don't wish to copy it just to understand the structure and layout of the answeres having never seen one or written one myself. Anything would be greatly appreciated!

sometimes only when the question needs it and in total about 25-30 case studies
Okays thank you! I'm feeling more positive now.

I was wondering if anyone had any example essays for the AS exam, most importantly one about paintings for Unit 2? I can't find any online and my teacher has non. I don't wish to copy it just to understand the structure and layout of the answeres having never seen one or written one myself. Anything would be greatly appreciated!

I'm really sorry only just saw this! Hope the exam was okay for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
How many case studies have you got for Hart 2?? :biggrin: I've got 20 so far.
Reply 37
does anyone still take history of art? I'm retaking my AQA unit 1 as i didn't do so well last year, is there a specific way i should write the essays? somehow i always manage to gwt low grades, pls help
Reply 38
Original post by VixenB
How many case studies have you got for Hart 2?? :biggrin: I've got 20 so far.

I did my Hart2 last year but had probably a bit over 20, just make sure each one can cover a couple of themes so you're prepared for everything :smile: could you help me wih the structure of my Hart1? I'm retaking from last year as my grade wasn't great but my teacher has never done it before and doesn't know how to write the essays :/ any advice would be super helpful x
Reply 39
I'm studying for A level art history , I'm self study at home , there are loads of resources out there and i suggest going on to a college site one that does A level art history , look at the book list and read all books suggested also go to a exam board like aqa or edexcel at there specifications on art history and print out all the questions and read all books. that would b a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending