The Student Room Group

AS Sociology Unit 1: Families & Households 17th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tur7le9
okay, for question 5, I just wrote about different kinds of family diversity such as same-sex couples, cohabitation, singe parent... and how the had caused the decline in nuclear families but everyone else I spoke to wrote about the different sociological perspectives and what they though about the decline in nuclear family. Does this mean I have answered the question completely wrong?:confused:

I written about the exact same things as you did! REALLY hoping this is right, because soon as it said 'family diversity' I assumed it meant different family types, such as reconstituted/lone/beanpole/cohabitation/homosexual families. I'm screwed if its wrong:'(
Reply 221
I thought it was a pretty standard paper - no big surprises.

06 For matrifocal I just said a family that is female led?

07 Secularization & it's more socially acceptable to co-habit/not get married at all (creative singleton)

08 Changes on dependancy ration, introduction of ageism and the Pensions Timebomb/drain on public finances

09 I spoke about how childhood is a social construct and there is no universal childhood. I used Stephen Waggs definition of childhood. I talked about Aires and the whole "mini adult" idea and how they used to be an economic asset whereas now they're an economic liability. I said how Opie says childhood is still a separate state from adulthood because of playground games etc. Also mentioned Postman. I talked of Sue Pilcher's 'toxic childhood' notion too. And all about our child centred society. Obviously throwing key terms in like March of Progress view too etc

10 I basically packed all of SCLY 1 into this answer and didn't focus at all on the item (because of time constraints, I had no time to read!) so I talked about how New Right is a political theory which is v closely linked with Functionalism. I talked about the functional fit and how the nuclear family is natural in their view. I then talked about the functionalist's view on the family basically. Then I went into Marxism and said how they think the family only benefits the Bourgeoise etc etc and then I moved on to Feminism and how the rising number of lone parent families which are predominantly headed by females are evidence that women are breaking away from the nuclear prison. I then mentioned about Leach & Laing's respective theories about the nuclear family; it being an 'overloaded electrical circuit' and a nexus. I don't know... I feel like my answer was pretty vague and don't know if I actually answered the question?? I'm hoping I demonstrated enough sociological knowledge to get the marks!

:smile:
Reply 222
Original post by MattMaas
Same q1 answer too me, slightly worried about Aries though as it said in the last 50 years >.<

Yes but the point is that Aries suggested that childhood TODAY has been socially constructed because in the PAST it was different. Just because he refers his recent research to ancient past childhood doesn't mean he isn't referring to a childhood that is 'socially constructed' today - so don't worry if you mentioned him I would say.
I'd never come across the term 'matrifocal family' until today. Slightly annoyed, but other than that - a really good exam!:smile:
Reply 224
Original post by InOneDirection
I written about the exact same things as you did! REALLY hoping this is right, because soon as it said 'family diversity' I assumed it meant different family types, such as reconstituted/lone/beanpole/cohabitation/homosexual families. I'm screwed if its wrong:'(

I just really hope that was what the were looking for?
Original post by ohmyBEAUT
I'd never come across the term 'matrifocal family' until today. Slightly annoyed, but other than that - a really good exam!:smile:

Same here, we hadn't been taught it, noone at my college knew what it was, but i suppose it wasn't too hard to figure out. The rest of the exam was cake.
Original post by tur7le9
okay, for question 5, I just wrote about different kinds of family diversity such as same-sex couples, cohabitation, singe parent... and how the had caused the decline in nuclear families but everyone else I spoke to wrote about the different sociological perspectives and what they though about the decline in nuclear family. Does this mean I have answered the question completely wrong?:confused:

That's exactly what I did:confused:
Original post by emma37
I thought it was a pretty standard paper - no big surprises.

06 For matrifocal I just said a family that is female led?

07 Secularization & it's more socially acceptable to co-habit/not get married at all (creative singleton)

08 Changes on dependancy ration, introduction of ageism and the Pensions Timebomb/drain on public finances

09 I spoke about how childhood is a social construct and there is no universal childhood. I used Stephen Waggs definition of childhood. I talked about Aires and the whole "mini adult" idea and how they used to be an economic asset whereas now they're an economic liability. I said how Opie says childhood is still a separate state from adulthood because of playground games etc. Also mentioned Postman. I talked of Sue Pilcher's 'toxic childhood' notion too. And all about our child centred society. Obviously throwing key terms in like March of Progress view too etc

10 I basically packed all of SCLY 1 into this answer and didn't focus at all on the item (because of time constraints, I had no time to read!) so I talked about how New Right is a political theory which is v closely linked with Functionalism. I talked about the functional fit and how the nuclear family is natural in their view. I then talked about the functionalist's view on the family basically. Then I went into Marxism and said how they think the family only benefits the Bourgeoise etc etc and then I moved on to Feminism and how the rising number of lone parent families which are predominantly headed by females are evidence that women are breaking away from the nuclear prison. I then mentioned about Leach & Laing's respective theories about the nuclear family; it being an 'overloaded electrical circuit' and a nexus. I don't know... I feel like my answer was pretty vague and don't know if I actually answered the question?? I'm hoping I demonstrated enough sociological knowledge to get the marks!

:smile:

Sounds like you did really well :smile: although i think question 09 was focusing on changes in the past 50 years (i may be wrong, these things wipe from my memory) so the change from an economic asset would be irrelevant as it happened before that. correct me if i'm wrong, i'm by no means confident on this.

also for the item question you will probably get penalized for not using it, but from what you included it sounds like you could get a good amount of marks, but it also sounds like you ventured from the point of the question a bit, didn't give a good account of the points you made if you were vague, there's a lot here to give a good description. But good luck! I hope you've done well :smile:
Reply 228
Original post by ohmyBEAUT

After the exam we went to ask our teacher what it meant and he said he'd never even heard of it and had to google the answer to find out :/ with a teacher like that, I have no chance. I got the highest in the class for the January education paper which was a high C :frown:
Reply 229
Original post by SophiaBarrett
Sounds like you did really well :smile: although i think question 09 was focusing on changes in the past 50 years (i may be wrong, these things wipe from my memory) so the change from an economic asset would be irrelevant as it happened before that. correct me if i'm wrong, i'm by no means confident on this.

also for the item question you will probably get penalized for not using it, but from what you included it sounds like you could get a good amount of marks, but it also sounds like you ventured from the point of the question a bit, didn't give a good account of the points you made if you were vague, there's a lot here to give a good description. But good luck! I hope you've done well :smile:

Thanks so much! That's given me a vote of confidence :smile: :smile: I just wish we got longer than an hour, then we would have longer to read the questions and could provide a more concise and direct answer!
How much would you say you need to do approx in the exam to ensure you get a C?

Such as structure and stuff?? I had the familes & households one today, and education one next week, realy hoping to get at least a C.
I dont feel overly confident about this exam today and was jus wonderin would somebody clear up how the 40%-60% thing works..i dont think i did AWFUL today,do i really have a chance to redeem myself in the next paper?
Reply 232
Apparently so my teacher said - that Q1 isnt even on the spec or books so AQA best award us all 2 marks haha... fingers crossed..

What did everyone right for Q3 on effects of an ageing population - I put:
- pensions/ the government
-NHS
-Social Services/ Housing in Society

Q4 and Q5?

Q4 - child hood I wrote about Sue Palmer and Toxic Childhood and Neil Postman and that chilhood is dying also how the amount of children parents have are decreasing - I didnt know what else to write - I wrote about 2 and a half pages - is that enough?

Q5- I wrote about RobertChester , Feminism , The Life Cycle, Functionalists, Talcott Parsons and Murdock - Is that enough to include in a 24 marker?

Im really worried about the outcome of the exam i only really learnt the whole topic recently... Last time I got a D in January..

Anyone give me their advice?
Reply 233
Q6 - I wrote that a matrifocal family was a family type that is female led. So hopefully I'll get at least a mark. (I guess purely based on the word matriarch LOL)

Q7 - Rising divorce rates may put couples off marrying, rise of alternatives to marriage such as cohabitation.

Q8 - The government has to pay out more money in state benefits such as the pension, housing benefits and so on. An ageing population puts a strain on the healthcare system as they are more prone to illness. With an ageing population, and a lower birth rate, a sustainable work force is not being created which will in turn lead to a dependency culture.

Q9 - I wrote how improvements in healthcare, nutrition over the past 50 years or so are making childhood experiences better. I spoke about the introduction of compulsory schooling and the rising success rates in educations means children have a better chance in life. I also mentioned products and services are now aimed at children and the introduction of acts and laws such as the Childrens Act and Child Protection Act. The I argued that some sociologists take the view that childhood isn't a good experience. I used the feminst argument that children are likely to face the same oppression as females and I also made reference to things like child abuse.

Q10 - I wrote about the rise in alternative family types such as homosexual couples (Civil Partnership Act), cohabitation, single parent families and more have all contributed to the decline in the traditional nuclear family and it is no longer seen as the ''norm'' due to the declining stigma attached to single mothers, homosexual families etc. I also talked about how post-modernist thinkers and feminists disagree with the new right view and argue that family should be what people choose it to be and not something defined by the state or society.

So I hope that was enough for at least a C.
Is it bad if you didn't put any sociologists' names down? I only mentioned Aries in the childhood question and even made some names up such as Bishop:colondollar:
Original post by mangoh
i'm pissed off if it wasn't in spec etc... like people have been saying

http://www.channel4.com/news/whistleblower-suspended-for-revealing-exam-mark-mistakes

more about above link :angry:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

that has made me so worried... I do biology on OCR :/
Original post by Derrick1509
That's exactly what I did:confused:

I did the same, Its not about what you right about, but its about relating it to the question, im sure the is hundreds of thing we could have wrote about.
Reply 237

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE REVIEW MY QUESTIONS? :smile:

Hi, howd everyone find the test?
I thought my essays were okay-ishh. but unsure of how well i answered my small markers.

However for my Q2, i wrote that (decline in first marriages) it was because of increase in cohabitiation meaning less people marry and that the increase in divorce, put people off getting married. (i expanded the points slightly more in the exam). Does anyone reckon those points are correct?

Also, Q3, (ageing population) I wrote that, increase no. of one person household, increase no. of highly talented jobs needed, eg, doctors. and that it meant goverment needed an increase in revenue to pay out pensions. (Again, i expanded these points in the exam)

Can anyone tell me if will get full marks for them? itd be a great help if you could!! :smile:
Reply 238
Original post by kateee_m

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE REVIEW MY QUESTIONS? :smile:

Hi, howd everyone find the test?
I thought my essays were okay-ishh. but unsure of how well i answered my small markers.

However for my Q2, i wrote that (decline in first marriages) it was because of increase in cohabitiation meaning less people marry and that the increase in divorce, put people off getting married. (i expanded the points slightly more in the exam). Does anyone reckon those points are correct?

Also, Q3, (ageing population) I wrote that, increase no. of one person household, increase no. of highly talented jobs needed, eg, doctors. and that it meant goverment needed an increase in revenue to pay out pensions. (Again, i expanded these points in the exam)

Can anyone tell me if will get full marks for them? itd be a great help if you could!! :smile:

Yeah I think for question 2 you would have got full marks :smile: and for question 3 - but not sure about more talented jobs needed? Did you mean more pressure on health services?
Reply 239
Original post by Derrick1509
Is it bad if you didn't put any sociologists' names down? I only mentioned Aries in the childhood question and even made some names up such as Bishop:colondollar:

Haha gangster, in jan i did scly2 and only used one sociologist and that was for the 12 marker i only got 6 in that but it was more my fault, anyway i got 90/120 not using a single sociologists name, not bad i thought

I was also seriously considering making names up, but thought if they found out or were super on point it may be a bit detrimental/cheeky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending