The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I think this exam could have gone either way. Absolutely hated the big trace table. And not really confident in a lot of my answers, but that's how I always feel after an exam anyway. Hopefully I did ok, just hope the grade boundaries are like they usually are for this exam, but I fear they may be slightly higher (say by 5 marks or so) because this specification is getting slightly older now and generally in time teaching will improve as will the student's understanding, that's just my theory though, probably complete bull.
Really glad I looked over hashing last night with that guy's revision guide; it helped a ton, though I think I still lost a couple of marks there, but hopefully I picked a few up, that's the best I can hope for when I have teachers who didn't even realize it was in the exam.
Reply 441
Ah ok, yeh its only 3 marks, i think overall it was a nice paper, could have been much worse. Just glad its out the way now, it ate up so much of my revision time.
Original post by Yash13
I thought there was 2 :confused:
Yeah :smile:
Original post by exam2k10
For that three mark dry run table I swear there was no output.

Well it was checking for duplicates and two of the entries were the same, so there should have been.

For the normalisation question, what did people put down for the two properties regarding the relations?
I put..
1) There should be no redundacies
2) There should be no repeating groups

1) No atomic data/repeating groups.
2) No non-key dependencies.
For the error mantissa question, i got overflow, underflow, overflow, but apperently the last one was rounding, would overflow still e correct?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 445
For that three mark dry run table I swear there was no output.

I then went on to say that it was O(n) cos I swear it was some sort of linear search

On the whole, I think the paper was good.

For the normalisation question, what did people put down for the two properties regarding the relations?
I put..
1) There should be no redundacies
2) There should be no repeating groups

Finally someone thinks like me, we may be both wrong/right but I thought that despite the number of times the algorithm is run the Bop should be isolated for N comparisons which would be linear. I could be talking out my arse but the second bit for normalisation I put no non or partial key dependency and no repeating groups as well.
Reply 446
Original post by Yash13
Finally someone thinks like me, we may be both wrong/right but I thought that despite the number of times the algorithm is run the Bop should be isolated for N comparisons which would be linear. I could be talking out my arse but the second bit for normalisation I put no non or partial key dependency and no repeating groups as well.

Would I get the mark for saying 'There is no redundancy'?
Reply 447
Also what did people put down for the halting problem?

I put down that there is no application that can halt another application. Is that even right?
Reply 448
Original post by FredrickTrott
For the error mantissa question, i got overflow, underflow, overflow, but apperently the last one was rounding, would overflow still e correct?

Sorry Fredrick, I got Overflow, Underflow and cancellation.
Reply 449

No, if I remember correctly it said that one answer can't be used multiple times

I put rounding error woo :colondollar: and that whole numbers q was actually quite nice
Also what did people put down for the halting problem?

I put down that there is no application that can halt another application. Is that even right?

No,

The question is, if is possible to write an algorithm which can tell if a given program will halt with a given set of inputs.
and also, Overflow, Underflow and cancellation.
Reply 452
Would I get the mark for saying 'There is no redundancy'?

Yup I think so. Don't worry man, you even trying to confirm that shows your dedication to this exam so I deduce you worked hard and deserve a good mark like a lot of us on this forum. I think the average candidate has no idea what hashing is so they would have lost a lot of marks and that should pull down boundaries slightly ( I hope). Good luck to you and everyone else! Now I watch Euro Footie and prepare for my other exams :frown:
Reply 453
For the 6 marker question, I don't think I put the steps in exactly the correct order, but I can't be bothered to look it up as this was my last exam!!!

Also, I left 15 minutes early :colone: I'd read over all my answers like 5-6 times and I was the only one left in the huge hall and the invigilator looked at me and asked me if I was done and certain I wanted to leave early. Hopefully I didn't overlook any major errors....
Reply 454
What did people get for the parse tree? did you do <term> - <term> ? as <term> ::= - <expression>
Sorry Fredrick, I got Overflow, Underflow and cancellation.

wtf is cancellation? :eek:.

My thinking behind it was small number + big number -> bigger number, which might lead to an overflow.
I didn't like the hashing questions. And in the textbook there are only about 10 lines that cover this. :frown:
wtf is cancellation? :eek:.

My thinking behind it was small number + big number -> bigger number, which might lead to an overflow.

Have a look in the textbook :P
Original post by adam925
What did people get for the parse tree? did you do <term> - <term> ? as <term> ::= - <expression>

I did forget the plus sign in this diagram, which is an essential part, it goes between the 2 and 1 branch

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 459
Original post by SecondHand
No,

The question is, if is possible to write an algorithm which can tell if a given program will halt with a given set of inputs.

Actually it's "Is it possible in general to write a program that can tell whether or not a given program will halt with it's given inputs without executing the given program."

:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending