The Student Room Group

The Jubilee, The Brainwashing, The Monarchy - Time to Wake up

Scroll to see replies

idgaf.. i really should, but i dont.
Original post by silent ninja
That seems to be a common atheist attack on religious people on this forum. Don't see why it's such a problem here...

It's a problem because it's a logical fallacy. I am just as opposed to atheists using it against religious people as I am to people bringing it up in debates like this.
Original post by monk_keys
Because we are in a thread discussing the monarchy, in the context of the thread you cannot claim your comments were in complete isolation to everything around it.

Could you quote me to where I implied that after getting rid of the monarchy we would look back on it like we do aparteid or the Nazis in Germany. Any quote will do, just one, please, please! Ready for the excuses...
Original post by 122025278
Could you quote me to where I implied that after getting rid of the monarchy we would look back on it like we do aparteid or the Nazis in Germany. Any quote will do, just one, please, please! Ready for the excuses...

If I were to do that I would essentially quote the first post and every post up to, and including your statement 'does that mean Jews should have got out of Germany?' (paraphrasing).
Original post by lukas1051
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the queen or any well known members of the royal family pose any real threat to the future our Britain, but it's the idea of inherited power that doesn't sit comfortably with me. All it takes is a few deaths and a few loopholes and before you know it some evil tyrant is sitting in the throne and we'd have no power to stop them.

What could one person sitting on the throne actually do?
Very few people would follow them if they tried to gain extra powers, the majority of the public accept the Monarchy because it is purely a figurehead, if a Monarch went further there would be outrage. Personally I'd be more worried about an elected official using his power to change rules and essentially make himself ruler for life e.g Putin.
I think we should have the monarchy but we should have it so that if you kill the king/queen you become king/queen. That'd make it way more interesting and exciting and if you don't want to be involved you don't have to. Very simple.
If I were to do that I would essentially quote the first post and every post up to, and including your statement 'does that mean Jews should have got out of Germany?' (paraphrasing).

YOU: If you want the UK to turn into another boring republic like France or the USA, then, like Gemnomnom said, move there.

ME: You could say that about anything. If Muslims don't like prejudice here, go on then, on your bike, back to where you came from. The suffragette movement, why didn't they get the hell out. Aparteid South Africa or segreated America, if those people didn't like it why the hell didn't they get out. In fact if the Jews had been quicker to get out of Europe they wouldn't have ended up in gas chambers would they. You've convinced me.

Do you agree that a policy of "If you don't like it, move somewhere else" is exactly what could be said to every political campaign that existed in respect of the circumstances mentioned above, it's devastatingly easy so see lol.

Your response: Because Monarchists are Nazis. WTF!?
Original post by Patriot Rich
What could one person sitting on the throne actually do?
Very few people would follow them if they tried to gain extra powers, the majority of the public accept the Monarchy because it is purely a figurehead, if a Monarch went further there would be outrage. Personally I'd be more worried about an elected official using his power to change rules and essentially make himself ruler for life e.g Putin.

I may well be wrong here, but does the monarch not have the rights to overturn the decisions of politicians? Perhaps I'm overestimating the power the royals have, but I'm sure if someone was really committed they'd find a loophole.

At least in a democratic situation the public elect a leader based on their own judgement. There are a lot of problems with elected officials changing the rules I agree but they cannot do this is they don't get to that position in the first place. Surely by default, having a choice is better than not having a choice.
Reply 108
Original post by tj hughes
The thing is, colonialism and slavery is also Britain's heritage. Should we glorify, celebrate and embrace that?

Colonialism and slavery is part of every countries history. The British are the only group of people who can lay claim to abolishing slavery on an almost global scale. This is something we should be proud of, even if briefly dabbled in it.
Reply 109
Original post by Elipsis
Colonialism and slavery is part of every countries history. The British are the only group of people who can lay claim to abolishing slavery on an almost global scale. This is something we should be proud of, even if briefly dabbled in it.

There's no doubt that Britain is primarily and mainly guilty for a lot of events in their history, yet it is our heritage. My point is that nobody should celebrate and glorify something because of their heritage, but because of aspiration, achievement and success. What good did the monarchy bring? Very little compared to the negative elements of it's history
YOU: If you want the UK to turn into another boring republic like France or the USA, then, like Gemnomnom said, move there.

ME: You could say that about anything. If Muslims don't like prejudice here, go on then, on your bike, back to where you came from. The suffragette movement, why didn't they get the hell out. Aparteid South Africa or segreated America, if those people didn't like it why the hell didn't they get out. In fact if the Jews had been quicker to get out of Europe they wouldn't have ended up in gas chambers would they. You've convinced me.

Do you agree that a policy of "If you don't like it, move somewhere else" is exactly what could be said to every political campaign that existed in respect of the circumstances mentioned above, it's devastatingly easy so see lol.

Your argument being, 'people should stick around and make a difference where they live for the things they believe in. Women (immorally oppressed) did it, black people (immorally oppressed) did it, Jews (immorally oppressed) did it so monarchists should be free to do it as well...'

Do you not think that that argument places negative connotations on the royal family whilst implying those in favour of a republic have right and morality on their side?
Reply 111
There's no doubt that Britain is primarily and mainly guilty for a lot of events in their history, yet it is our heritage. My point is that nobody should celebrate and glorify something because of their heritage, but because of aspiration, achievement and success. What good did the monarchy bring? Very little compared to the negative elements of it's history

The monarchy only serve as a focus for our country. That is their sole purpose. They unify us in a way that I feel countries like France and Germany are missing. When we celebrate the Jubilee we are celebrating our island. It's about so much more than the Queen herself. Her reign and it's various anniversaries might be the marker for when we go out and party, and celebrate Britain, but it really isn't about her.
Reply 112

Yeah but you aren't in the right. You aren't being oppressed, and to equate your anti-monarchist feelings to that of people who have been genuinely oppressed is disgusting and wrong. If you don't want the royal family to represent you in meeting foreign dignitaries, and that is against what the majority of this country does want, then you are welcome to piss off to a country where they have a president to do that job. Personally, I will stay here and support the Queen because she has done a far better job at it than I believe any Prime Minister of the last 50 years could.
Reply 113
Original post by Elipsis
The monarchy only serve as a focus for our country. That is their sole purpose. They unify us in a way that I feel countries like France and Germany are missing. When we celebrate the Jubilee we are celebrating our island. It's about so much more than the Queen herself. Her reign and it's various anniversaries might be the marker for when we go out and party, and celebrate Britain, but it really isn't about her.

We could celebrate our 'island' by celebrating an elected President as a head of state - a la Irish style... And trust me, France and Germany are for more patriotic than the average Brit, who stereotypically prefers to moan about their country's shortcomings.
Original post by Elipsis

Where are you getting this idea that france and germany are missing a unity. I don't see any independence referendums in france and germany. Can't say the same about the uk, so much for unity.

And your point in the other post, so because people don't want a monarch they must move country, they can't actively express their views and try to gain a republic. That's like saying those that didn't agree with the labour government should also move country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by lukas1051
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the queen or any well known members of the royal family pose any real threat to the future our Britain, but it's the idea of inherited power that doesn't sit comfortably with me. All it takes is a few deaths and a few loopholes and before you know it some evil tyrant is sitting in the throne and we'd have no power to stop them.

If a monarch ever exersized any of their theoretical power they would be removed immediately. Parliment would simply pass laws without a monarch and quickly get the monarch removed. I really doubt any monarch would ever be able to do anything.
Reply 116
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Where are you getting this idea that france and germany are missing a unity. I don't see any independence referendums in france and germany. Can't say the same about the uk, so much for unity.

And you point in the other post, so because people don't want a monarch they must move country, they can't actively express their views and try to gain a republic. That's like saying those that didn't agree with the labour government should also move country.

You don't see any independence referendums in France and Germany because they are homogenous countries you moron. How would one part decide they wanted to secede when they aren't a union?

I don't mind people expressing their opinions, but this constant bitching is ridiculous. Just get over it. If you moved to France or Germany you would realise that your life wouldn't be very different. President or Monarchy, you and your children and their children will stand zero chance of becoming that person. You will always be governed by someone who isn't you, and that will always be a point of contention for you.
Reply 117
We could celebrate our 'island' by celebrating an elected President as a head of state - a la Irish style... And trust me, France and Germany are for more patriotic than the average Brit, who stereotypically prefers to moan about their country's shortcomings.

Meh, I prefer it this way. If you prefer there way there is somewhere you can go to celebrate it that way, instead of removing one of the only places left on earth that does it this way.
Your argument being, 'people should stick around and make a difference where they live for the things they believe in. Women (immorally oppressed) did it, black people (immorally oppressed) did it, Jews (immorally oppressed) did it so monarchists should be free to do it as well...'

Do you not think that that argument places negative connotations on the royal family whilst implying those in favour of a republic have right and morality on their side?

Firstly my argument is not that at all, my argument if republicans should do what you say, then anyone in general should follow suit, pretty obvious.

And yes I do not think that. Only an imbecile would think it implies those in favour of a republic have morality on their side. Here's why. Being in favour of the monarchy does not imply that people should just "get out and move elsewhere if you don't like it"! That's the crux of the argument, it's EASY to see. There are plenty of people in favour of the monarchy who say to republicans, if you can get enough support, win in a referendum. They don't say "just get out", indeed most are fine with republicans living in the same country.

It has nothing to do with the monarchist position. The monarchist position does not imply that those who don't agree with them shout just "move elsewhere". It just so happens that some idiots who advocate that policy ARE ALSO monarchists.
Reply 119
Original post by Elipsis
You don't see any independence referendums in France and Germany because they are homogenous countries you moron. How would one part decide they wanted to secede when they aren't a union?

I don't mind people expressing their opinions, but this constant bitching is ridiculous. Just get over it. If you moved to France or Germany you would realise that your life wouldn't be very different. President or Monarchy, you and your children and their children will stand zero chance of becoming that person. You will always be governed by someone who isn't you, and that will always be a point of contention for you.

We're annoyed because with the monarchy it's hereditary and therefore only promotes inequality. How is it fair that someone is born greater than others and gains titles for nothing? At least with a republic, it's an elected official and titles have to be earned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending