The Student Room Group

Medical Gap Year: Becoming a Healthcare Assistant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rae_
Cool :smile: any advice with coping with resits? I pretty certain I may have retake a whole AS or two ;/

Change how you work, something has to be different this time around in order for you to improve your grades, this might mean just revising in the same way but working for longer or not working in front of the tv or making sure you stay calm.
Work hard, start to revise earlier, make a plan and stick to it so you don't neglect your AS modules instead. It will be painful and horrible but it's worth it, it's a tiny time in your life for a huge longterm gain.
Do some resits in Jan, don't leave them all to June.
Really think about which you should resit as no one can do 100 exams haha.
Do past papers! And talk to your teachers about where you're going wrong.

Don't give up, most people don't improve their grades but plenty do and there's no reason why you shouldn't be one of them :smile:.
It's probably a bit different for me on the bank because I work at quite a small District General so actually people do remember me! I did one shift in August on a ward and didn't go back there until April and they remembered me which was nice. But actually it's very good for your confidence if you're a bit shy because you're forced to step out of your comfort zone and just get involved.
Also if you're resitting modules (which I am) bank is good because you can simply say I'm not doing any shifts until after exams and then make up the hours later. It means you aren't trying to do too much at once.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by rae_
Thanks once again. Oh cool. I'm going start volunteering at Kings in a few days :wink:

Hey do you mind me PMing later for advice etc?

Hey can I ask how you got to volunteer at Kings? I'm going to be taking a gap year and I'm sooo worried that I'm going to waste the year :/
Reply 23
Original post by Revent
They are scenario based questions, ie what would you do in this situation? That kind of stuff. You do need SOME experience in caring for others so you might want to take this time to get that out of the way. I personally was a mentor for students for a while and did my 2 week work experience at a kids club. As for the elderly, I used to look after my grandmother.

Thanks for the insight

Original post by BeanofJelly
Yeah, you won't find a better paid job which is as enjoyable or relevant. Although don't expect too much, you won't be a medical student getting teaching, you'll be at work - and its much more to do with nursing than medicine. But imo, understanding nursing is an important part of being a doctor.

Volunteer during medschool if you want - but (to my knowledge) there aren't that many volunteering jobs (certainly in UK) which bring you close to doctors or particularly help you to learn medicine. Which is more of the angle of experience you may be looking for once you are actually a medical student. Ofc - there may be other things to get out of volunteering.

I know if I get interviewed and I talk about being a HCA their are going to ask: why not do nursing? I don't really know how to answer that except the fact Medicine is more scientific etc which I don't is justifiable - my mum is a nurse and she has full blown medically conversations with Doctors... Any advice?

Original post by Sherbet
Change how you work, something has to be different this time around in order for you to improve your grades, this might mean just revising in the same way but working for longer or not working in front of the tv or making sure you stay calm.
Work hard, start to revise earlier, make a plan and stick to it so you don't neglect your AS modules instead. It will be painful and horrible but it's worth it, it's a tiny time in your life for a huge longterm gain.
Do some resits in Jan, don't leave them all to June.
Really think about which you should resit as no one can do 100 exams haha.
Do past papers! And talk to your teachers about where you're going wrong.

Don't give up, most people don't improve their grades but plenty do and there's no reason why you shouldn't be one of them :smile:.

Thanks really encouraging :smile:

Original post by NornIronKitKat
It's probably a bit different for me on the bank because I work at quite a small District General so actually people do remember me! I did one shift in August on a ward and didn't go back there until April and they remembered me which was nice. But actually it's very good for your confidence if you're a bit shy because you're forced to step out of your comfort zone and just get involved.
Also if you're resitting modules (which I am) bank is good because you can simply say I'm not doing any shifts until after exams and then make up the hours later. It means you aren't trying to do too much at once.
Good luck :smile:

Thanks; I'll probably have to suck it up and be more confident :wink:
Reply 24
Original post by elixia262
Hey can I ask how you got to volunteer at Kings? I'm going to be taking a gap year and I'm sooo worried that I'm going to waste the year :/

Now is the time to apply! They are looking for about 1000 volunteers at the moment as they a creating an extensive volunteer programme

I just applied to be a ward visitor through the careers website here:

http://jobs.kch.nhs.uk/job/v247036

The application form is quite long but worth it. You then get short listed for a group interview - mine was quite informal luckily, just make sure you speak up as you get lost in the crowd etc. If you want more info just ask :smile:

(I haven't started yet as their just doing my CRB check, I'll tell you what it's like when I start if you want)
Reply 25
Original post by rae_
Now is the time to apply! They are looking for about 1000 volunteers at the moment as they a creating an extensive volunteer programme

I just applied to be a ward visitor through the careers website here:

http://jobs.kch.nhs.uk/job/v247036

The application form is quite long but worth it. You then get short listed for a group interview - mine was quite informal luckily, just make sure you speak up as you get lost in the crowd etc. If you want more info just ask :smile:

(I haven't started yet as their just doing my CRB check, I'll tell you what it's like when I start if you want)

Thank you so much! They got back to me really quickly so now I'm just waiting for a date to become available for the group interviews. I'm kinda nervous about that now :/
Thanks a lot for letting me know and yh it would be great if you keep me posted :smile: and I'll let you know how the interview goes.
Reply 26
Original post by elixia262
Thank you so much! They got back to me really quickly so now I'm just waiting for a date to become available for the group interviews. I'm kinda nervous about that now :/
Thanks a lot for letting me know and yh it would be great if you keep me posted :smile: and I'll let you know how the interview goes.

Well done :smile:

Don't let the nerves get the better of you. My interview was quite informal, they just really want to check if you're 'normal'. Be prepared to speak to other applicants and introduce them to the rest of the group - first test. Also there are some scenarios given and you are asked what will you do ~ there's no right or wrong, just be able to justify yourself. You must speak up or they won't take you even if you have the most amazing application I mean you don't have be overly confident - be yourself and smile.

Hope that helped

And yeah tell how it goes :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
****, ****, ****!!!

Managed to get 2 HCA job interview invitations today, both of which are on days on which I have exams!

Have sent an apologetic email to the HR departments saying I won't be able to attend them and if there is anyway of switching the days, but I'm pretty confident that they won't do that :sad:
Reply 28
Original post by thegodofgod
****, ****, ****!!!

Managed to get 2 HCA job interview invitations today, both of which are on days on which I have exams!

Have sent an apologetic email to the HR departments saying I won't be able to attend them and if there is anyway of switching the days, but I'm pretty confident that they won't do that :sad:

Sorry to hear that.

They should let you change the interview date after all you didn't choose to have your exams on the same day as your interview and they obviously know you can't change the dates. I'm pretty sure they will appreciate the fact you're a student, if not, it's their loss :P

Well done in getting the interviews and good luck in your exams :smile:
Original post by rae_
Sorry to hear that.

They should let you change the interview date after all you didn't choose to have your exams on the same day as your interview and they obviously know you can't change the dates. I'm pretty sure they will appreciate the fact you're a student, if not, it's their loss :P

Well done in getting the interviews and good luck in your exams :smile:

Thanks, got to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst, I suppose :redface:
Original post by thegodofgod
****, ****, ****!!!

I was allowed to do my training across two months as I had my final AS on the first day of the training so you never know!
I was allowed to do my training across two months as I had my final AS on the first day of the training so you never know!

Cheers for letting me know! :biggrin:

+rep

Mine was condensed into what was possibly the most tedious weekend of my life.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Mine was condensed into what was possibly the most tedious weekend of my life.

Ours was great! It was 6 days and the first two were quite dull because it was all the trust wide stuff, but the other four were just HCAs and very practical. It did help that the two nurses doing the training were hysterical!
Reply 34
Nowadays it is normal to have a job but in the olden days it was normal to farm for a living. It is as a consequence a possibility that it be surprising to make the assumption to others that large numbers of people will change their way of making a living but it would be even more surprising if they didn't.

Employees can be hired but the only reason we don't is the fact we want to be made to work out how to make money for ourselves.
Reply 35
hey guys, i need some advice, ive spent ages looking for nhs jobs but they all seem to have required high level of training, i was just wondering what are the typical jobs that gap year students apply for, and also on average which band would it fit into, also if u have any advice for a gapy year and things to do or tips it would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks
Reply 36
Original post by Sherbet
Mine probably wasn't as relevant as jennaz77's experience (which sounds incredible but tough).

Took a gap year because I got ABC after year 12, retook during year 13 and applied on my gap year.
Didn't really justify it as such. Started off by picking up rowing, carried on with volunteering 2 or 3 times a week (this was hard for me to fit in at times due to work) and I had 2 jobs, they were very customer facing but NOT at all medical. I also did a short course open uni course. Could show that I could manage my time, had outside interests, could get on with people that I worked with, could work in a team in a busy environment.

Then did a ski season, a goal I've always wanted to complete, met so many people, very hard work, you learn tons about working with other people and dealing with peoples expectations. Taught me independence etc.

I saved money on my ski season but I think I'll just break even for America, you have to pay for flights, visa, police check, health check, you have a month on your visa at the end for travelling. I've got really interested in special needs so I'm going to a special needs camp over summer, very excited but daunted!

I had a few weeks of work experience and loads of volunteering, you don't need more than a couple and I was struggling for more. It's better to be a HCA on a gap year than spend 4 weeks shadowing a cardiologist etc.

My gap year isn't super medical but I still got 4 offers, and didn't outright get asked about it at interview, but I used my experiences for loads of questions.

My "thing" has probably been travelling, I did World Challenge, raised money to do work experience in India and will have spent 7 months away this year in France and America working, you've got to turn your "thing" into a pro on your application.

That, is, very impressive. I'm starting to think that perhaps there's more to my gap year than fighting in for a HCA post in the job market! 7 Months you say? Well the challenge has been set, I'll try for 8! (: This post as truly turned my frown upside down (no offers no interviews). Thank you ^_^
Reply 37
Original post by rae_
Well done :smile:

Don't let the nerves get the better of you. My interview was quite informal, they just really want to check if you're 'normal'. Be prepared to speak to other applicants and introduce them to the rest of the group - first test. Also there are some scenarios given and you are asked what will you do ~ there's no right or wrong, just be able to justify yourself. You must speak up or they won't take you even if you have the most amazing application I mean you don't have be overly confident - be yourself and smile.

Hope that helped

And yeah tell how it goes :smile:

Hey again :smile:

So I finally got a recruitment day thingy on the 17h of august and I was wondering whether you had started already? and if you have then how's it going?

also how long was your interview day thingy?

thanks again :smile: xx
Reply 38
I've been working as a HCA since march and during that time was studying for my A2. It's a good job and it pays okay as well. i'm working for flexible staffing at my local hospital and didn't need any qualifications to get the job. just take a look on nhs careers. good luck
Reply 39
Original post by Pand3miic
That, is, very impressive. I'm starting to think that perhaps there's more to my gap year than fighting in for a HCA post in the job market! 7 Months you say? Well the challenge has been set, I'll try for 8! (: This post as truly turned my frown upside down (no offers no interviews). Thank you ^_^

Haha being a HCA is a fantastic experience, your gap year is what you make it, I just got home from America yesterday. As cheesy as it sounds my gap year was truly life changing and not getting my AAAA at AS was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Now I'd love to travel whilst not working, just backpack around, plan to do that next summer :smile:. Camp was the hardest thing that I ever did, but I'll remember it for the rest of my life, I learnt so much and made some incredible friends. I'm going to medical school in 2 weeks and very excited.

I had an amazing gap year, it wasn't always easy but I look back on it now and can't believe it was so good, this time last year I was miserable. A boyfriend was leaving me to go to university, I was convinced I would have no offers and I'd have a lonley year at home. Just have faith and enjoy your year and make the most of every opportunity :smile: good luck getting your 8 haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending