The Student Room Group

EU Bloc Free Trade Treaty - VOTE

EU
Article 1: Effects of the Treaty

1.1. A ‘World Free Trade Zone’ (WFTZ) shall be established
1.2. All signatories of this Treaty must also be members of the WFTZ
1.3. Beginning on the 1st April 2013 it shall be illegal to place any ‘restrictions’ on goods that are being imported between any two nations that are in the WFTZ
1.4. For the purposes of this Treaty, ‘restrictions’ includes tariffs and import quotas

Article 2: Developing Nations

2.1 All signatories to this Treaty must refrain from imposing restrictions on trade with nations that rank in the bottom 50% of the Human Development Index regardless of whether such a nation is party to the WFTZ.
2.2 This rule shall not apply to underdeveloped nations identified under 3.3

Article 3: Application to join

3.1. Any nation represented in the (M)UN and not currently a member of the WFTZ or on the 'list' may ask the Secretary General be added to the Treaty
3.2. The nation is then added as a signatory of the Treaty with immediate effect
3.3. Once the Treaty has been ratified the original co-submitters must produce a 'list' of nations that shall be banned from the Treaty due to consistent and serve breaches of human rights
3.4. The 'list' shall be accepted with a 75% majority over a two day vote; all EU bloc members may vote on the original 'list'
3.5. Any member of the WFTZ can submit a motion to remove a specific nation from the 'list,' providing that two other members of the WFTZ co-submit the motion
3.6. After a five day discussion the motion shall pass to a two day vote; if a majority of 75% votes in favour, then the nation in question is removed from the 'list' and is free to apply to join the WFTZ

Article 4: Leaving the Treaty/WFTZ

4.1. A sovereign government may decide to withdraw its signature from the Treaty, provided that at least two months notice is given beforehand
4.2. Any member of the WFTZ can submit a motion to add a specific nation to the 'list,' providing that two other members of the WFTZ co-submit the motion
4.3. After a five day discussion the motion shall pass to a two day vote; if a majority of 75% votes in favour, then the nation in question is added to the 'list' and can no longer apply to join the WFTZ
4.4. The nation in question is also removed from the WFTZ with immediate effect if it was already a member

Article 5: Other treaties

5.1. This Treaty takes priority over all other trade treaties where there is a clash, but does not annul other treaties
5.2. Commencing on the 1st April 2013, the European Economic Area shall be split into the European Free Movement Area (EFMA) and the European Free Trade Zone (EFTZ)
5.3. The EFMA will remain a separate entity from the WFTZ, and shall remain under EU control
5.4. The EFTZ shall be incorporated into the WFTZ

Article 6: Enforcement

6.1. An ‘Trade Enforcement’ committee shall be set up to make sure that all countries comply with article 1
6.2. Each country that has signed this Treaty is entitled to one representative on the committee

Article 7: List of current signatories

7.1. Each member of the EU Bloc shall become a signatory of the Treaty upon ratification

Article 8: Commencement and Short Title

8.1 This Treaty may be cited as the Free Trade Treaty ; and
8.2. Shall come into force on the 1st April 2013 following ratification by the national Parliament of each member state.

stanlas

QFA

Is this the text that you wanted?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OOC: Yes, I believe that this is the correct wording now (with JPKC's amendment).
Reply 2
The MHoC backs this treaty and urges all other member states to do the same.
Reply 3
Sweden has opted to abstain.

Whilst Sweden fully supports the principal of free trade, this treaty does not make any distinction for genocidal dictatorships and Sweden will not support the opening up of trade to those nations.
Reply 4
Moldova likes free trade and so has voted 'aye'.
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21
Sweden has opted to abstain.

Whilst Sweden fully supports the principal of free trade, this treaty does not make any distinction for genocidal dictatorships and Sweden will not support the opening up of trade to those nations.

Is Sweden not happy with the 'list' idea, which will prevent trade with these nations?
Reply 6
Sweden considers the list idea to be a little too weak.
Slovenia Agrees with this treaty and as such have voted this way
Reply 8
Original post by toronto353

QFA

OOC: Has an EU country vetoed this??
The only person planning to vote against was JPKC, but we accepted his amendment so I assume it wasn't him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by stanlas
OOC: Has an EU country vetoed this??

I will check once the poll closes tonight. This would become a pact in that case if it was an EU country that voted no. We may need to clear up that part of the Guidance Document.
Reply 10
This has become a pact and shall be ratified by the MHoC.
Reply 11
This has become a pact and shall be ratified by the MHoC.

OOC: Who vetoed?
Reply 12
Original post by stanlas
OOC: Who vetoed?

T_C is checking. :smile:
Reply 13
Thunder_chunky

QFA

Was it a non-EU country that voted no on this treaty?
Was it a non-EU country that voted no on this treaty?

I'll check. FYI please make all votes in the future public so everyone can see who voted for what. That way I won't having to keep going to the supermods.

Ta.
QFA

I have had a reply about this:

The following people voted who weren't on the list of names of EU nations.

Birchington
cmorga1
Ysolt

cmorga1 was the person who voted 'no'
Reply 16
Original post by thunder_chunky
I have had a reply about this:

The following people voted who weren't on the list of names of EU nations.

Birchington
cmorga1
Ysolt

cmorga1 was the person who voted 'no'

Thanks and apologies for not making it a public vote.

stanlas

QFA

This is a full treaty then. :smile:
Reply 17

This is a full treaty then. :smile:

OOC: Good. :smile:
We might want to consider putting something into the guidance document about always using public polls (except maybe in Secretariat elections)

IC: The Czech Republic is happy that this Treaty has passed, and hopes that it shall be expanded soon. We shall shortly be presenting the list of banned nations, along with the MHoC

Edit: To clarify I meant that I will be doing this with the MHoC, not that the MHoC will be on the list
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
QFA

OOC: We should do the list soon.

IC: The Czech Republic suggests that Iran, Syria and North Korea are placed on the list of banned nations. We welcome any other suggestions from EU countries
Reply 19
Georgia agrees with the Czech Republic that Syria should be placed on the banned nations list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending