The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Farrdango
Oh. No one get mad. Oops.

Well Im pissed, not for what you said...well not all your words. Anyways...listen buddy, not all rap deals with drugs, guns, and sex.

yeah i know, my bad, but some of it does!
Reply 61
PadFoot90
yeah i know, my bad, but some of it does!

Yea...thats true, and I listen to it with joy...never taking the words seriously you know.
Reply 62
Farrdango
Yea...thats true, and I listen to it with joy...never taking the words seriously you know.

Yeah to tell the truth i do like minimal amounts of rap... like that song "yeah" by about 30 people.
Reply 63
It provides a bit of diversity in content, something VERY lacking from the 99.99 odd percent of pop/rock songs whose sole lyrical theme is 'love'.
Reply 64
you do know music is a form of expression? perhaps the rappers are annoyed and p'd off with the world so they get aggressive but they tell it as it is. sometimes as a warning to others. sure it may be influential but so is the bible and those with issues would take from the bible and go killing... an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth or something... it's not the songs that do the damage, it's what people take from them.
Rap music is fine in itself, The rappers often just use the image and aren't really as hard or aggressive in real life. However, hte image they project does have a bad influence on a lot of our kids. Just go to a local school or whatever, and all the kids talk like rappers, they all seem to hold the values of rapper songs close to their hearts (got to be blinging, got to shoot people who look at you funny etc.) and they really annoy me sometimes, cause all the gangster stuff IS NOT important in the real world. Sometimes they need decking i tell ya. :mad:
Reply 66
Joseph_SOUTH
they all seem to hold the values of rapper songs close to their hearts

they don't have proper guidance and they grab the first thing they see which is rap music.
My mate came into college today with some peice of metal hanging arund his neck that was HUGE, looked like it weighed a ton and was tacky as fook. he then proceeded to tell me he was blinging, i nearly filled him in on the spot for such tackiness. THE BLING BLING SHITE ISN'T COOL! IF YOU WANT TO LOOK GOOD, THEN BUY SMALL ELEGANT MEGA EXPENSIVE JEWELLERY, THAT'S WAS THE SOPHISTICATED FOLK WEAR, THE MASSIVE CRAP JELEWERY ALL OVER YOUR HANDS AND NECK IS WHAT BOTTOM FEEDERS WEAR, AND IT'S REALLY GETTING ON MY FOOKING TITS!
Anywho, back to the original question, while some American rap really does tell about the struggle some kiddies go through growing up in some of America's toilets, the British stuff is shite.
I mean, you get the Brits trying to be like the yanks, growing up in Britain ain't hard, not like in the bronx or harlem. The brits are going on about the mean streets of Orpington, and trying to grow up surrounded by the everyday scenes of violence in Totenham, doesn't quite work does it?
While the yanks may be telling the real story of the struggles over the pond, the brits just like the image and are doing a VERY bad job of trying to make the whole ganster thing here look cool. It's just ludicrous how some school kid reckons he's a gangster. It really makes me laugh when the gangster school kids, and even the adult gangster wannabees expect you take them seriously and then wonder why they just got decked.
God i hate the rap that come out of Britain, and the whole image that comes with it. It's so inferior to the proper American stuff! British kids, stop it! you can never make RAP and RnB sound as good as the yanks can. Sorry but it's the truth, Brits are crap at it (probably the only thing the yanks are better than the brits at)
OK THEN I'LL STOP MY RANT NOW
Reply 70
This thread is still going, i thought i summed it up when i told the people who like rap to tell me when they stop wearing doo rags and smoking pot in a van down by the river.
Reply 71
ho hum... Do you think Rock influences the youth? Do you think sex and drugs everywhere in the media--not just in rap--influence the youth? Yes!!
Reply 72
ArisGreenleaf
ho hum... Do you think Rock influences the youth? Do you think sex and drugs everywhere in the media--not just in rap--influence the youth? Yes!!

to be honest, none of us have free will... we're all influenced by something or the other.
Reply 73
operato
to be honest, none of us have free will... we're all influenced by something or the other.

None of us have free will huh.
Theres where your wrong buddy, we choose everything in life. Either its the music we listen to, or the dicision of listening to another person and agreeing with them. Its our choice.
All music influences youth to the smallest or greatest degree, because it is part of youth culture and all people particularly youth are easily influenced.
I think that the fact that the treatment of women, and the promotion of gun culture and drugs by rap is bad. However i realise that these are things going on areas of the world and its these things that should be addressed not the music its self which it "only telling it like it is".
Reply 76
ArisGreenleaf

well said. PPL seem to be overlooking the whole "sex,drugs rock and roll" thing. If u go to one of those grebo concerts, glastonbury etc ul see loadsa ppl smoking weed etc..

Some rap music glorifies violence, guns, etc. but so does rock music, u just need to listen to slipknot (like most 12 yr olds) to get what im saying.

OH yer and the dude who keeps on reffering to "townies" as ppl who listen to rap music is waaaaaaaaaaaay off. From my experience of "townies" they only listen to dance and garage shit. Maybe they are different from wher u are from...?

I
Reply 77
Joseph_SOUTH
God i hate the rap that come out of Britain, and the whole image that comes with it. It's so inferior to the proper American stuff! British kids, stop it! you can never make RAP and RnB sound as good as the yanks can. Sorry but it's the truth, Brits are crap at it (probably the only thing the yanks are better than the brits at)
OK THEN I'LL STOP MY RANT NOW

LOL THATS THE DAMN TRUTH BRITISH RAP IS S**T OR SHALL I SAY THE WANNA BE VERSION GARAGE

AND ABOUT IS IT A BD INFLUENCE I DON'T THINK SO SMOKIN WEED IS JAMAICAN CULTURE AND AS FOR WEARING DU-RAGS ITS HIP HOP FASHION DON'T HATE. DOES ANYONE SAY ANYTHING WHEN A PUNK WALKS DOWN THE STREET?

JUST FOR THE RECORD ONLY STUPID PEEPS FOLLOW STUPID THINGS

LIFE IS ABOUT CHOICES
Reply 78
Samara
LOL THATS THE DAMN TRUTH BRITISH RAP IS S**T OR SHALL I SAY THE WANNA BE VERSION GARAGE

AND ABOUT IS IT A BD INFLUENCE I DON'T THINK SO SMOKIN WEED IS JAMAICAN CULTURE AND AS FOR WEARING DU-RAGS ITS HIP HOP FASHION DON'T HATE. DOES ANYONE SAY ANYTHING WHEN A PUNK WALKS DOWN THE STREET?

JUST FOR THE RECORD ONLY STUPID PEEPS FOLLOW STUPID THINGS

LIFE IS ABOUT CHOICES

I'd have to disagree. Rap is shit, especially the American variety.
Reply 79
calumc
I'd have to disagree. Rap is shit, especially the American variety.

HEY IT'S YOUR OPINION

Latest

Trending

Trending