The Student Room Group

2:2 **** knows what to do - Input appreciated...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ZerofeX
CGPA is worse in some situations. Most people arn't very serious in their first year and also most CGPA universities in North America dont allow resits or even if they do they average your overall grade by using both the old and new mark. Also its a bit easier to leave with a 2:1 or 2:2 rather than have to worry about every single decimal in the cgpa system.

Most people? Who are these people? People who are not taking their education seriously you mean? Most Universities? Which one? You're saying as if a lot of these Universities would do such things.

The thing I like about the CGPA system is that you have to take care of your education from day one; not until final year you start caring about it which I hate in the % system :colonhash:

But, yes, I do understand the last bit; I was going nuts calculating every bit of my decimal to make sure I'd get the class rank that I want lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
It's stories like this that allow me to get up in the morning...
Reply 42
Original post by ZerofeX
CGPA is worse in some situations. Most people arn't very serious in their first year and also most CGPA universities in North America dont allow resits or even if they do they average your overall grade by using both the old and new mark. Also its a bit easier to leave with a 2:1 or 2:2 rather than have to worry about every single decimal in the cgpa system.

From experience most people aren't very serious because they know it doesn't count!

To the OP - you can still do a masters if that is really what you want, the only time a 2.2 will hold you back is if you let it. If you don't show all the other stuff you do and that you are capable etc.
There are plenty of people on my masters course who got 2.2's even though they asked for a 2.1 + due to simply the other experience they had.

In regards to it being harder to get into masters degrees - not sure I agree with that, unless it is somewhere that asks for 1st class plus experience etc, or is extremely highly regarded therefore competition is high. but then the other argument is because the fee's are all going up so much (my current masters was 6k, next year it is 9k) that people can't afford it anyway so less competition? I think the only thing a 2.2 will prevent you from getting is scholarship or fee's rebate in full from the masters. Still possible to get smaller awards towards things, but the big funding does tend to go to 2.1 -1st class.

don't get down on yourself for not 'working' harder etc, you have learnt now and am sure you will find something.
Reply 43
:yep:

All of the above is true; I find it ironic that they say Universities 'are not exam based like high-school, more of discussions, effort in class, etc' - well that statement is so wrong in the UK universities really.
Reply 44
I did a Science one so I can confirm; some mates of mine do Engineering, so I can also confirm that. Some of my mates doing Religion, Business, Accounting, etc are also the same - but these people are coming from different parts of the world. They attended a Uni that followed the US Semesterial System.
Reply 45
That's actually true to some extent although the majority dont give any weightage for just attending lectures etc. Friends in Canada have a 49% weightage for the half year exam ( mid-term ), 50% for the final and 1% for problem solving sheets throughout the course time frame. It's really not much so I cant comment on how many actually take the problem solving seriously.

But you have to see from another view point aswell. Places like Harvard which are so competitive for post grad usually have almost all successful applicants who achieved a 4/4 cgpa in their undergrad. The lowest that they admit is about a 3.8/3.85 which only about 20% of their incoming class had. What I'm saying is you can always recover from a bad module/modules/year in the british system and still manage a First. And by bad I dont mean a 30% or 40%. Although if first year in the UK is only about 10% then I think its possible to even manage a first with only your second and third years given a very bard first year grade. Though in the states it only takes one course in the entire span of 4 years ( which is about 40 courses totally ) to mess up your 4/4.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by ZerofeX
it only takes one course in the entire span of 4 years ( which is about 40 courses totally ) to mess up your 4/4.

You just reminded me of the horror of my UG years lol.
Reply 47
IMHO don't bother with a masters (at this stage), i got a first last year and really struggled to get a job so you will have to nail your interviews but what people never tell you is that experience (any sort of relevant experience) is farrrrrrrrrr superior than any sort of masters degree (except from oxbridge/lse of course).

I think you should apply for finance assistant roles or something of that sort, do that for a year then go do your masters. This way you've had a chance to really think about what you want to do and also save up some £££. If you have a offer for a masters degree (sorry didn't read the whole thread) I would defer it till next year use it has a safety net. But i really can't stress enough how valuable work experience is than any sort of masters degree. I have a massive pool of friends finishing off their MSc's and are struggling to get jobs that quite frankly they didn't even need MSc's for.

I just think how depressing after working so hard to pass your MSc and applying for entry-level jobs that fresh undergrads are also applying for. I really urge you not to jump into the postgrad route because it can be costly in both £££ and time/effort.

good luck
Reply 48
Join the army. Always a good backup option.
Reply 49
oh and to add 2:2 isn't that bad, you may struggle to get as much interviews as say someone with a first but you'll get some interviews and as long as you really sell yourself I'm sure you'll get a job just keep trying.
Original post by *Elizabeth*
Hey, if it's any comfort, as a graduate with a 2.2, I can appreciate where you're coming from as I went through similar emotions when I graduated 9 years ago (eeek long time now!). My 2.2 still 'haunts' me to this very day, but thanks to my postgrad study, it is very rarely is mentioned by anyone these days but I know it's lurking in the background.......

Despite what you might think, it IS possible to get onto MScs and doctorates with a 2.2 qualification- (well I managed to get onto 3 different MScs and 2 doctorates in psychology/social science!). However, it may require extra determination and ability to defend yourself. Also don't apply to unis which have a strict 2.1 criteria, look for unis which consider applicants with 2.2s.

I found good unis such as UCL surprisingly accomodating of people with 2.2s, well for one of my MScs anyway and I loved my time at UCL. I really didn't think I stood a chance at UCL, but I managed to get in and leave with a good MSc classification from UCL. Prior to applying for MSc study, I would always check with the uni beforehand as to whether they would accept people with 2.2s. Also landed a psychology graduate job from UCL in my final year of my PhD, so I was well chuffed! :smile:

Best of luck. As a graduate with a 2.2, I'll be happy to answer any questions. You're not alone.

Wow, a Bachelor's, two Master's, a PG Cert and a PhD? :eek:

The education section of your CV must get some double takes. I assume you funded your first Masters and PhD by doing them part-time and working? I was thinking of doing something similar as I don't think I could afford where I want to go otherwise.
I think your problem is your method of revising. Which might explain your consistent low grades.

It might be helpful to explain how you did your studying?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 52
Original post by kka25
You just reminded me of the horror of my UG years lol.

Haha, where did you go? Just out of curiosity how did it all work out for you in the end?
I thought 2:2 was good. But TSR everyday continue to change the standards.
Reply 54
Original post by Golden_Boy786
I think your problem is your method of revising. Which might explain your consistent low grades.

It might be helpful to explain how you did your studying?

Read lecture notes - supplement with some additional reading. Go over and over and over. Then later try and be able to re-write all without any aid, I'd do this numerous times and I was able to recall all. Even went above and beyond by remembering various references with the relevant year.

For example there was an exam where I simply had to define something e.g 'What is corporate social responsibility?' I was able to recall the definition from the book to a T (I even used quoted who had said it and the year) and also supplement the definition with some additional reading (They didn't specify exactly). You had to answer 5 and each were 10 marks

Then there was an essay question worth 50 marks

I only obtained 50 overall
whilst I obtained 68% in my coursework

In all honesty I don't know how I could've improved - I've set up a meeting with the lecturer to see where I went wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by maskofsanity
Wow, a Bachelor's, two Master's, a PG Cert and a PhD? :eek:

The education section of your CV must get some double takes. I assume you funded your first Masters and PhD by doing them part-time and working? I was thinking of doing something similar as I don't think I could afford where I want to go otherwise.

.....and in the first year of a professional doctorate in health psychology

Here's how I funded the above.......

- BSc- student loan
- Masters 1- worked part time took out a small bank loan
- Masters 2- career development loan
- PhD well paid fully funded scholarship
- PGCert- paid for via savings from full time job(this was a third MSc but I left with the PGCert as I received offers for the professional doctorate, I had no intention of completing a third MSc, this course was purely for professional development)
- Professional doctorate in health psych- funding this via two part time jobs (one clinical post and one academic post).

I completed my MScs in 2003-2005 when the fees were considerably cheaper (each cost 3,000 in fees alone), lived at home with family and basically lived very frugally. I don't owe the bank any more money. I received no direct money help from family members. I'm also 31 so probably a lot older than the rest of graduates using this forum!

Well not sure about double take, but definitely knocked back from several jobs for being 'overly qualified'.

My 2.2 is still a barrier with some places though , which can't be helped, but most people focus on my postgrad and work experience now.
Reply 56
Original post by ChaosFalling
This isn't necessarily always the case. The masters I'm doing at Warwick required a 2:2, and Warwick isn't exactly a second class Uni. Its just that they were more keen on your experience, references and passion for the subject.

Interesting because if someone wants to do Masters in Marketing at Warwick Full Time. it stated clearly at the entry requirement you need 2:1 or above.
Reply 57
She was clearly talking in her own case...
Original post by Venom123
Read lecture notes - supplement with some additional reading. Go over and over and over. Then later try and be able to re-write all without any aid, I'd do this numerous times and I was able to recall all. Even went above and beyond by remembering various references with the relevant year.

For example there was an exam where I simply had to define something e.g 'What is corporate social responsibility?' I was able to recall the definition from the book to a T (I even used quoted who had said it and the year) and also supplement the definition with some additional reading (They didn't specify exactly). You had to answer 5 and each were 10 marks

Then there was an essay question worth 50 marks

I only obtained 50 overall
whilst I obtained 68% in my coursework

In all honesty I don't know how I could've improved - I've set up a meeting with the lecturer to see where I went wrong.

Well this method is used by most even me. So I really don't know what went wrong for you.

It also depends on how motivated and how enthusiastic you were about the course. There's not much else I can really say. :/

Reply 59
Original post by pinda.college
It is seriously down to what you want to do.

Whether it's worthwhile is a whole different thing.

5% off a 2:1 is harsh man...

Could be worse, could be 0.5% off.

Then you'd really be ****ed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending