The Student Room Group

Islamists' hold over Mali threatens Europe, diplomat warns

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rennit
In arabia, there is a severe lack of avaliable young, attractive women. It is the arab culture for multiple wives, which leaves young men with... nothing...

Lack of sex is the fundamental problem for the taliban.

Yeah. I said it.
MEN NEED MORE SEX FOR WORLD PEACE.

What if the Taliban believe that by dying in battle they'll get far more sex than they ever can in their Earthly lives?

This is a case of more suicide vests for more sex.
Original post by Spaz Man
Atrocities happen. Innocent people die. All we can do is the best we can to prevent them. What I'm trying to say is that we are changing our entire society in response to terrorist threats which we shouldn't.

Remember that Bin Laden said that his objective was to turn "America into a shadow of itself" and that's exactly what has happened.

I would have argued the complete opposite when Bin Laden declared war on the United States: taking a step back from the Muslim world, opting against propping up tyrannical regimes, and distancing ourselves from wars in the region - in other words: changing our foreign policy - would keep us safer and, in theory, remove the threats of terrorism.

And yes, I agree with you on Bin Laden. His goals were to (a) help to bleed America to bankruptcy; (b) spread the U.S. military and intelligence forces to the point where they have little reserves or flexibility; and (c) strip away American allies and create as much political divisiveness as possible in the United States.
Reply 22
Original post by prog2djent
You don't behead enemies, or even your own people, over land, sunshine. Fanatically reciting religious texts and actually practicing what the Quaran and Hadith's told you to do, because some people from a different country took your land.

Are you a muslim? If you are, I think you are one of these moderate in denial.

You can take a quick trip onto any (sunni) Islamic forum, Islamic Awkawning, Ummah, Sunniforum, Islam21, and you will find people supporting, justifying, even willing to carry out such attacks (posters even arrested). Try and tell me that those people think the way they do beacuse the reasons you give, and not beacuse of what the religion, or Scholarly reformers, teach.

Most wars are often because of land, so people clearly do kill for it.

The religion itself does not teach violence though, these people recite texts out of the context they were originally written in, and so make it seem like the religion is telling them to do these things when it actually isn't.

Yes, there probably are many that support, justify and are willing to carry out these attacks, and what they are doing is obviously wrong. I'm not defending them at all, I'm defending the religion, because Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace and every muslim that I know wouldn't carry out any such attacks as groups like these would.
Reply 23
Original post by Spaz Man
Atrocities happen. Innocent people die. All we can do is the best we can to prevent them. What I'm trying to say is that we are changing our entire society in response to terrorist threats which we shouldn't.

Remember that Bin Laden said that his objective was to turn "America into a shadow of itself" and that's exactly what has happened.

"America into a shadow of itself" typcial.
Reply 24
Original post by Therese123

The religion itself does not teach violence though, these people recite texts out of the context they were originally written in, and so make it seem like the religion is telling them to do these things when it actually isn't.

Yes, there probably are many that support, justify and are willing to carry out these attacks, and what they are doing is obviously wrong. I'm not defending them at all, I'm defending the religion, because Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace and every muslim that I know wouldn't carry out any such attacks as groups like these would.

Oh come on, the Qu'aran, Bible, and Old Testament/Torah are some of the most violent texts in this history, of, well anything. You can say that they recite passages out of context, but that doesn't matter, because they think what they are doing is right, and that Muslims who say such things as "quoting out of context" when criticising Salafist/Takfiri Jihadist muslims, are often declared apostates by conservative Ulamah's or normal conservative followers. They would say you are practicing Bi'dah. They all claim that Shariah needs to be implemented anywhere, since, like Christianity, Islam is an internationalist religion, and any Muslim who denies this, doesn't think the Qu'aran and Hadiths are perfect, when all Muslims are supposed to think they are perfect.
Reply 25
Oh come on, the Qu'aran, Bible, and Old Testament/Torah are some of the most violent texts in this history, of, well anything. You can say that they recite passages out of context, but that doesn't matter, because they think what they are doing is right, and that Muslims who say such things as "quoting out of context" when criticising Salafist/Takfiri Jihadist muslims, are often declared apostates by conservative Ulamah's or normal conservative followers. They would say you are practicing Bi'dah. They all claim that Shariah needs to be implemented anywhere, since, like Christianity, Islam is an internationalist religion, and any Muslim who denies this, doesn't think the Qu'aran and Hadiths are perfect, when all Muslims are supposed to think they are perfect.

I personally still think it's how you as an individual interpret things, eg if you're a violent person in general, you probably would interpret things to be violent.

I don't think Muslims are supposed to think they are completely perfect,(being Muslim myself) I certainly don't think they're perfect (although honestly I'm not really that religious), they're supposed to use them as a sort of learning guide to help them with their way of life, and many of the things said do make sense as to why they're done, but yeah there are some things that I don't agree with still.
Reply 26
Original post by Lilahx
"America into a shadow of itself" typcial.

Sorry, I didn't get your point.
Reply 27
You saying the taliban members are rich? The chechynan Mujahid .. are wealthy? Al-shabaab members are rich? Boko Haram? All these guys who are essentially half-retarded shepards ... are rich?

you never know they might had a very good year raising their flocks :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Like most of Africa and the Middle East, what a shame.

On one half, we have people who want a secular North state, and they're being provided support from somewhere, (not mentioned in Article) and the other hand, there are people who want religious North being provided support from Libya and other Muslim countries.

A Western diplomat believes this a threat to Europe and is Al-Qaeda linked.

So where do I stand?

It's seems about governance tbh. It can't be just Islam in politics because Saudi Arabia has that too.

Like most of Africa, meddle in and install a pro-Western ally. Doesn't really matter if they're thoroughly corrupt and perhaps that's why the country is in mess it is today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending