The Student Room Group

Does anyone else's family treat them like they're stupid?

It really frustrates me. I'm studying a very intense and well-respected degree, but my family treat me as though I'm incompetent and inept, and any knowledge that I have gained over the years is worthless. I sometimes even act dumb around them, because if I don't I'm sneered at in a "how could you know that?" or "you don't know what you're talking about" sort of way. It's incredibly degrading. I don't know if it's because they're working class, or they feel threatened that I'm trying to get an education, but it really brings me down. They've told me a few times that I won't be able to get by at uni (or school) without someone holding my hand.

Have other people experienced this before? How did you overcome it?
Plenty of my family say stuff like that to me-sometimes worse
I didn’t overcome it I just kinda ignore it now cause I’m used to it but it still hurts
What degree are you doing?
Original post by Anonymous
It really frustrates me. I'm studying a very intense and well-respected degree, but my family treat me as though I'm incompetent and inept, and any knowledge that I have gained over the years is worthless. I sometimes even act dumb around them, because if I don't I'm sneered at in a "how could you know that?" or "you don't know what you're talking about" sort of way. It's incredibly degrading. I don't know if it's because they're working class, or they feel threatened that I'm trying to get an education, but it really brings me down. They've told me a few times that I won't be able to get by at uni (or school) without someone holding my hand.

Have other people experienced this before? How did you overcome it?

yep, yep and yep
Reply 5
they lowkey treat me like i'm mad. or a child. or both
Original post by Ciel.
they lowkey treat me like i'm mad. or a child. or both

inneh
Reply 7
Yup.im the only one who got into university twice,and hold a few certifications but get treated like I'm insane or they nitpick at me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending