The Student Room Group

Am I unreasonable or my roommate?

I live with a young girl early 20s she’s loud all the time I’ve asked her to be quiet turn down almost every month she does not care she ignores me every time I hear her make even the slightest noises I come out my room and record her on my phone she walks around at night

I’ve complained to my landlord and he as issued me a warning and said we will both be evicted my roommate is still making noise she does not care loud music
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I live with a young girl early 20s she’s loud all the time I’ve asked her to be quiet turn down almost every month she does not care she ignores me every time I hear her make even the slightest noises I come out my room and record her on my phone she walks around at night

I’ve complained to my landlord and he as issued me a warning and said we will both be evicted my roommate is still making noise she does not care loud music

Living with unwanted loud music is difficult, but your behaviour:

"every time I hear her make even the slightest noises I come out my room and record her on my phone"

is not the way to deal with it and is really creepy. I'm not surprised your landlord wants you out, neither of you sound like reasonable tenants. Surely moving would be a good option for you, perhaps look for a small studio so you have your own space, although even then you are likely to hear noise/music from other flats.
Reply 2
Original post by marple
Living with unwanted loud music is difficult, but your behaviour:

"every time I hear her make even the slightest noises I come out my room and record her on my phone"

is not the way to deal with it and is really creepy. I'm not surprised your landlord wants you out, neither of you sound like reasonable tenants. Surely moving would be a good option for you, perhaps look for a small studio so you have your own space, although even then you are likely to hear noise/music from other flats.

I think they only want her out not me they might be taking my side since I’ve complained first numerous times even when she swore at me
How loud is she? Also at what times?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
How loud is she? Also at what times?

Every morning early morning like 3am 4am she showers washes dishes plays music and she don’t care I’ve complained a lot to the landlord everything she does is loud

I don’t wear ear plugs or headphones she needs to be quiet

Landlord has given me a warning and I don’t know what this means
Reply 5
Doesn’t sound like you’ll be able to get on and the landlord reckons it’s 12 of one half a dozen of the other. Either call a truce and try to improve things or look for a new place to live
Do you have proof of this? ie timing of when it happens? - write everything down in a diary and record when it happens, you can also buy a decibal measure instrument on ebay for a few quid.

Secondly, what the landlord is doing is wrong, so you tell the landlord (in writing - text /email) that you have told him/her the issues and nothing is been done and that if you are evicted because of this you will take the matter further, ie small claims court and recover any monies for the inconvenience caused. ( fyi: I to was a landlord, so fully aware of what landlords should and shouldnt be doing)

You need to gather as much proof as possible, recording with each instance and you need to write down the number of times youv spoken to the room-mate about this issues.

Do not let the landlord bully you, its a typical tactic used, especially with young students.
Reply 7
Original post by NKNK12
Do you have proof of this? ie timing of when it happens? - write everything down in a diary and record when it happens, you can also buy a decibal measure instrument on ebay for a few quid.

Secondly, what the landlord is doing is wrong, so you tell the landlord (in writing - text /email) that you have told him/her the issues and nothing is been done and that if you are evicted because of this you will take the matter further, ie small claims court and recover any monies for the inconvenience caused. ( fyi: I to was a landlord, so fully aware of what landlords should and shouldnt be doing)

You need to gather as much proof as possible, recording with each instance and you need to write down the number of times youv spoken to the room-mate about this issues.

Do not let the landlord bully you, its a typical tactic used, especially with young students.

How is the landlord bullying me I’ve complained a lot and they gave me a warning seems like their tired of me and might think I’m singling out my roommate she lived with here 4 years and as never had a complaint seems I’m just over sensitive to noise

They gave me a warning roommate does not care landlord talked to her roommate says their moving out
How is the landlord bullying me I’ve complained a lot and they gave me a warning seems like their tired of me and might think I’m singling out my roommate she lived with here 4 years and as never had a complaint seems I’m just over sensitive to noise

They gave me a warning roommate does not care landlord talked to her roommate says their moving out

Well firstly to point out, your story has changed quite abit, now you are claiming you are sensitive to noise, and that your roommate has been there 4 years without issue. Key details omitted from the start.

and as ive said, as a previous landlord and many years experience dealing with other landlords, it is bullying when threatened with eviction for issues raised.

You state you have complained alot - meaning NOTHING has been done, so either you are a serial complainer or you have justification for your complaint, but from what you said in response that you may be "over sensitive" to noise - well thats a you issue.

Getting a warning for a complaint (many MANY complaints) without nothing done, is the landlord washing he/her hands of the issue and instead wanting to deal with it the easy way, and if your complaint was/is legimate then it is bulying to force you to shut up about it

MOST IMPORTANTLY, it is impossible to know since your story has changed massively, who is the issue here. But it stands, only one complaint and proof is needed to the landlord and it MUST be looked into.

You landlord isnt there to judge if you are singling someone out, its the landlords job to look into the complaint, look at the proof you provide and then look into the next steps.

see i'm petty and i would annoy her back and make me crazy as I am but i know thats not a good idea lol. Why cant you find somewhere else, if its bugging you that much, then why not relocate
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous #3
see i'm petty and i would annoy her back and make me crazy as I am but i know thats not a good idea lol. Why cant you find somewhere else, if its bugging you that much, then why not relocate

I rather have her kicked out I don’t want to leave I’m in a bad place and have no peace I got a warning and roommate is still loud music walking around at night after landlord I assumed talked to her cause I said she’s harassing me with everything she does is loud
question: how old are you that you say you live "with a young girl early 20s"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending