The Student Room Group

Aqa comp 4 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
If you are using VB.NET you might want to take a look at the following video that helps you set up a database connector. If you use a wizard to connect your database to your project you are running the risk of losing a lot of marks and not creating a 'complex' project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9dO_oVkk4
Reply 101
I got an A* in this module scoring over 90%.

I was ****ting myself this time last year. Got to admit I loved this module, but it requires a lot of commitment and hard work.

I literally bothered my computing teacher every day. Went to school at 7A.M. on some days and would even stay behind after school til 5 to speak to him and discuss about the coursework. I ended up getting the highest in the class.

Sorry if I'm bragging but my coursework was 400 pages.
Design for my system is relatively large especially in comparison to the analysis. Is this just me or has everyone else found this too? :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by andyator55
Design for my system is relatively large especially in comparison to the analysis. Is this just me or has everyone else found this too? :smile:

It's not just you, I think mine is about twice as long!
Original post by Damask-
It's not just you, I think mine is about twice as long!

Oh nice!! Apparently our testing section must be biggest.. :L
Reply 105
Anyone else feeling a little guilty for not doing as much as they should have over the holidays? :colondollar:
Reply 106
Original post by Damask-
Anyone else feeling a little guilty for not doing as much as they should have over the holidays? :colondollar:

I missed my last lesson before we broke up, so I'm just doing a little bit of it and hoping I wasn't meant to finish the Implementation section.:crossedf: But I also have other exams to revise for later this month, so I'm not feeling too guilty neglecting Computing.
Reply 107
Original post by D-Box
I missed my last lesson before we broke up, so I'm just doing a little bit of it and hoping I wasn't meant to finish the Implementation section.:crossedf: But I also have other exams to revise for later this month, so I'm not feeling too guilty neglecting Computing.

My implementation is so nearly finished, I'm just panicking that my teacher might look at it when we go back and decide that I need to add something for additional complexity.

How many exams have you got? I've only got four this January, one less than last year. :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by Damask-
My implementation is so nearly finished, I'm just panicking that my teacher might look at it when we go back and decide that I need to add something for additional complexity.

How many exams have you got? I've only got four this January, one less than last year. :smile:

I have a whole 1 exam this month, but it's a killer and I'll probably have to retake. Then I have 2 exams in February. In reality it's not that bad I guess :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by D-Box
I have a whole 1 exam this month, but it's a killer and I'll probably have to retake. Then I have 2 exams in February. In reality it's not that bad I guess :smile:

Ahah, which ones are they?
Reply 110
Original post by Damask-
Ahah, which ones are they?

The first one is Government & Politics, and the two in February are scholarship exams in the topics of Computer Science and Information Technology.
Reply 111
Original post by D-Box
The first one is Government & Politics, and the two in February are scholarship exams in the topics of Computer Science and Information Technology.

Sounds like... fun? Good luck!

(PS. I think I just finished implementation. Aww yisssssss.)
Reply 112
The joys of connecting to Microsoft Access through vb.NET - The Yes/No field in Access is apparently coded not as a boolean, but using a bit. Every time I want to read or write to the database I have to convert between boolean and bit or the program crashes. Sigh.
Reply 113
looking back, would have been quite handy if I commented my code, I mean it doesn't even make sense to me now...
Original post by iCiaran
looking back, would have been quite handy if I commented my code, I mean it doesn't even make sense to me now...

That is not good.
Reply 115
Original post by iCiaran

If you can't understand it then good luck to the person marking it! :lol:
Reply 116
I am in a bad position in this project, starting to think I'll fail. My project isn't complex enough. Not enough files. Our database is stored in a text file, our teacher hasn't told us to use access or anything. Any tips to at least scrape a B?
Reply 117
Original post by GeoHall
I am in a bad position in this project, starting to think I'll fail. My project isn't complex enough. Not enough files. Our database is stored in a text file, our teacher hasn't told us to use access or anything. Any tips to at least scrape a B?

As long as your project is complex enough and the files aren't a mess, it doesn't need to be a database project to be complex. You can get complexity from other things like object orientation, using a 'harder' (it's late and I've forgotten the technical term for that :biggrin:) language like Objective-C, etc. Look at the specification if you're worried and remember the code itself only counts for 20 marks, so make your documentation as good as it possibly can be!
Reply 118
Guys.. Somehow this happened without me realising. Snap 2013-01-23 at 21.16.17.png
Reply 119
Original post by Damask-
As long as your project is complex enough and the files aren't a mess, it doesn't need to be a database project to be complex. You can get complexity from other things like object orientation, using a 'harder' (it's late and I've forgotten the technical term for that :biggrin:) language like Objective-C, etc. Look at the specification if you're worried and remember the code itself only counts for 20 marks, so make your documentation as good as it possibly can be!
if I sent you my program could you give me some pointers to make more complex reports? I have a login and messaging system aswell as a search function to search all users, a news bulletin and a different homepage for people who log in as ghost users and admins (the program recognises the current user) I just have no idea what to do for complex reports

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending