The Student Room Group

Should I take comp sci or Politics for A level?

Currently my A level choices for this September are Maths (with Further maths if I can get a 7-8),Physics and Comp Sci. After my A levels I would hope to do comp sci at university. However at my chosen A level school I know the Politics teacher is probably better tan the Comp sci teachers. Both subjects are equally interesting to me but would taking A level comp sci make any further education easier/ increase my chances of getting into a good university?
Reply 1
I'd say take A-Level Comp, since you want to do it at uni. Taking A-Level Comp (like what I'm doing atm) is a massive advantage for uni bc you would already know concepts like OOP or algorithms. Although, there is an NEA to do which could be considered as a pain. Also, tbf most unis don't need comp sci to do it at uni (unless its the top ones like oxbridge or ucl etc.) A-Level Comp (mainly AQA) to me is just memorization and doing exam questions, my teacher isn't that great so i've taught myself most of the course and have been doing okay. But ofc, its your choice
Reply 2
Original post by JimmyJimleton
Currently my A level choices for this September are Maths (with Further maths if I can get a 7-8),Physics and Comp Sci. After my A levels I would hope to do comp sci at university. However at my chosen A level school I know the Politics teacher is probably better tan the Comp sci teachers. Both subjects are equally interesting to me but would taking A level comp sci make any further education easier/ increase my chances of getting into a good university?

Heya!
To do comp science at uni you would typically need maths and Fm, but having alvl comp will help you understand the basics and help you with the first year :h: If it helps, check out past papers to see what you will be expected to do for both using Study mind.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest