The Student Room Group

2.2 in BSc Biomedical Science - What jobs to do?

I studied Biomedical Science at a non-IBMS accredited university and obtained a 2.2 classification. A non-IBMS course means I can't work in an NHS lab straight away, however I had no intention of doing this anyway. Last year I obtained a Masters of Public Health degree.

I was wondering if there are any other BMS graduates out there who obtained or know of someone who got a 2.2. What are you/they doing now? I know my chances at graduate schemes are unlikely, and therefore would be happy to do an entry level job or anything else.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can you not go to medical school with a masters?
Reply 2
Original post by wannabemed
Can you not go to medical school with a masters?

I think a few places such as KCL accept it, but I've never been interested in becoming a doctor.
Reply 3
Original post by Tabris

What are you doing with your life?
Reply 4
Original post by biomedboy
What are you doing with your life?

That seemed to come out of nowhere? Ha.

My step-dad, who's supposed to be the carer of my disabled mother (from a stroke) also had a stroke. I care for both of them, full-time, so my life is on hold until my step-dad is competent to do what he did before.

Not exactly the best person to ask.
Reply 5
Original post by Tabris

My step-dad, who's supposed to be the carer of my disabled mother (from a stroke) also had a stroke. I care for both of them, full-time, so my life is on hold until my step-dad is competent to do what he did before.

I hope he gets better soon and well done for looking after them. :smile:
Original post by Tabris

Well done. I have a lot of respect for you for stepping up like that. Hope your situation improves.
There are a lot of things you can do. For advice you should really be more specific about what you want to do.
Reply 8
Original post by Llamageddon
There are a lot of things you can do. For advice you should really be more specific about what you want to do.

I wish I knew what I wanted to do.
I wish I knew what I wanted to do.
It really would be a good place to start. What are you good at? what do you have experience of? What would be your dream job etc?
Reply 10
I just want to die now, I'm sick of this world.
I just want to die now, I'm sick of this world.

This is precisely the winning quality that employers want.
Reply 12
Original post by wanderlust.xx
This is precisely the winning quality that employers want.

Kill me please.
Kill me please.

I have a better idea - suck it up and stop whining because there are plenty of other people in the same, if not worse situations than you. Plenty of graduates in the UK are barely getting by on JSA and have no family to rely on, nor can they continue to go out and forget about their lack of employment.

What you need to do is improve your CV, write a few cover letters, submit them on TSR or your careers service and start applying for anywhere that'll take you. Do that for 4 months, then if there's no positive news by November, start sending off speculative applications for work experience.

Just suck it up and do it. You'll feel better afterwards because you'll feel satisfied that you made a positive step in the right direction, rather than moaning about your situation.
Reply 14
I can't be arsed anymore, I'm done.
Reply 15

Ok then, bye! :wavey:

How have you gone from requesting careers advice to implications of suicide in five posts? :confused:
Reply 17
I got a 2.2 in Biomedical Science. It would be nice to hear from other 2.2 BSc Biomedical Science degree holders and find out what other people did with it.
I have a 2.2 in Nutrition and a top up in Biomedical Science (IBMS accredited) and while I haven't got very far yet, I'm still hopeful. Sort of, it's getting really depressing. I have an interview as a Biomedical Support worker tomorrow - only 19 hours a week but I have everything crossed! Lack of experience usually kills me :frown:

I did Microsoft Proficient exams 2 years ago and that has been commented on in a few interviews I have done.
Reply 19
Hi,

I graduated from a non-accredited University in Biomedical Sceinces 2 years ago.I rememeber feeling devestated by my grade however I pushed myself to apply for as many jobs as possible that summer. It paid off, because I became employed by September (3 months after).

My employer is an IVRs company i.e. a sort of service provider for clinical trials. My role is "project coordinator".

I know what it's like once you've graduated, you don't know about the various jobs which are out there (I certainly didnt know about my job/business whilst I was studying). My advice is to speak to other people in a similar position to you with jobs. See if your friends could refer you, provide your CV to a recuitment agency, ask your parents for help?

Unfortunately due to today's economic climate, us graduates have to start out doing whatever. Then as you gain more experience, you'll find out more about what you like and you'll be more appealing to prospective employers with even an temporary admin/office job.

Rememeber, your degree is valuable and rock solid so yes a 2.2 is still impressive. Don't feel disheartened, you've done the hard bit (completing your degree) you've just got to boss it now ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending