The Student Room Group

Videos on studying medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soletar
I frankly see no wisdom if an obese man walks into the store and demands 50 bars of chocolate, and you as a Shop attendant tell him to go the Vegetables section. It is MY time, MY plans and MY future. I have decided the videos will be helpful (from experience in other endeavours). Why must someone try to forcibly dissuade me from my intellectual pursuits?

This analogy is not quite right.

Most of the people who have responded have been at medical school or completed medical school from a variety of different medical schools. Overall, you have been suggested that watching basic medical science videos will not help you that much.

If someone were to go into accident and emergency having a heart attack and demanded antibiotics as treatment, would you get it just because that's what you wanted?

Why you are obsessed with the basic medical sciences im not too sure, because medical schools also teach a large volume of clinical skills in the first two years (depending on which medical school you go to). Yet you don't seem to want to know about that.

Essentially you do have 2-4 years to learn the basic medical sciences, why you are in a hurry to do it now, out of context without guidance I also don't understand.
Reply 41
Dear Carcinoma,

On an earlier post you suggested watching the documentary "the Hospital". I have tried to find it from a number of sources, but have been unsuccessful. Would you have any idea on how to locate a copy for viewing?

Thanks,

Don
NO ONE has an issue with you advancing your learning in medical sciences (even before you get in), we are just giving you a warning as to the fact it will not get you into medical school. NO ONE here can tell you not go out and read a pharmacology book, but what we are saying is that you'd have time to do it more efficiently when you start medical school, so what's the point?

If you do wish to read, as I do, then by all means do so. It just won't get you a place; for that you need good grades, a good entrance exam, a good personal statement, good experience and a good interview.

No one here 'means' to be harsh initially, Digitalis' advice to you was in good faith initially. You get what you give, in my opinion, and the fact that you were unduly rude to him means you will be treated slightly worse yourself.
Original post by carcinoma
x

Just thought I'd quote you for the guy below.

Original post by Asiaduck
Dear Carcinoma,

On an earlier post you suggested watching the documentary "the Hospital". I have tried to find it from a number of sources, but have been unsuccessful. Would you have any idea on how to locate a copy for viewing?

Thanks,

Don
Dear Carcinoma,

Thanks,

Don

This show was broadcast several years ago on Channel 4. With the second season airing in the last 2 years or so. It is currently unavailable on 4OD.

It should be put back on 4OD soon, or re-broadcast. Why not try watching 24 hours in A&E or something similar.
Reply 45
To please the OP (and seeing as I need something to distract me from UKCAT and interview question revision): http://www.youtube.com/show/theoperation?s=1
Dear Carcinoma,

Thanks,

Don

Watch these http://www.youtube.com/show?p=97W_ihvM5to
Reply 47
It is like telling someone who is desperate to learn a foreign language and asks for Language- learning softwares to discard that idea and go to the country instead. Yes, from experience, I will tell you Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, Tell Me More etc are way overpriced, and going to the native country is the best option, but what if it’s not a feasible option? Besides, you were asked LANGUAGE LEARNING SOFTWARES, so stick to the point… Entering Medical School is not a problem because I got admission last year with top marks, just could not come because of conflict with my Msc Biochemistry programme which I have since finished….

A good suggestion can worded thus...” haven used the Kaplan’s videos, Najeeb and Goodman’s, I found them to be all useless”. Dismissing them all with a blanket rude statement without showing any indication of haven tried any at all just indicates close-mindedness to me. Any other suggestions apart from Kaplan, Najeeb and Goodman? Video lectures by medical professors please

I daresay a scientist about to enter the NASA space program who studies the Video materials of instruction for Astronauts before starting the program is better informed (and prepared for the task ahead) than someone who deems such a practice useless. And please, o ye “experts”, correct me if am wrong, but the authors of these lesson videos are usually medical Professors themselves…How is studying the teachings of a Professor of School of Medicine, Cornell University (or Oxford University as the case might be) a bad move? Are you trying to say your lecturers are dumb or what exactly?

Anyway, i appreciate all the posts from both categories of those that posted links to videos and those that disagreed with me. A post no matter how short requires a bit of energy and thought process. What i just fail to see is this- if i could teleport into the future and see the videos of my class Lecturers in action teaching what i am supposed to learn, assuming i have a chance to see these videos 100times, how am i not going to be at an advantage relative to my future classmates?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Soletar
A good suggestion can worded thus...” haven used the Kaplan’s videos, Najeeb and Goodman’s, I found them to be all useless”. Dismissing them all with a blanket rude statement without showing any indication of haven tried any at all just indicates close-mindedness to me. Any other suggestions apart from Kaplan, Najeeb and Goodman? Video lectures by medical professors please

Regarding videos which I've found useful, the DrNajeeb lectures are incredible for preclinical stuff. I only wish I found them earlier. If the medical school you are applying to/gained entry for has the traditional format of preclinical/clinical I definitely think it would be useful to have a look at some of his lectures before starting.

As for kaplan, I've only seen a few videos but I think they are more aimed for passing exams than learning the fundamental concepts.

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by Soletar
I daresay a scientist about to enter the NASA space program who studies the Video materials of instruction for Astronauts before starting the program is better informed (and prepared for the task ahead) than someone who deems such a practice useless. And please, o ye “experts”, correct me if am wrong, but the authors of these lesson videos are usually medical Professors themselves…How is studying the teachings of a Professor of School of Medicine, Cornell University (or Oxford University as the case might be) a bad move? Are you trying to say your lecturers are dumb or what exactly?

Aaah....so you're just a troll. Makes sense now!
Reply 50
Original post by digitalis
I'm a qualified doctor, not a medical student actually.

Incidentally, I've completed medical school and along that, three extra USMLEs totalling 24 hours of exams. I've researched all of the video resources that have been mentioned on this thread and do actually know what I'm talking about. I have many of them.

What is the point of watching hours of video (that is often long, complex, boring and expensive) when you won't understand most of it, will not be able to apply any of it when you aren't even a medical student. However, if you focused your efforts on getting in to medical school where you will have all the time in the world to watch dull video lectures in your spare time, wouldn't that be a better use of your time?

Your question is just a variation on the annual favourite of 'I just got accepted into medical school, which books should I buy before?' Except you haven't even got in to medical school, which makes what I said even more relevant.7

Oh, and btw...By posting a thread, it does not make it 'yours', indeed it gives it to the entire TSR community. If you had any sense, you would have taken what I have said to you on board.

You're damn right ... Btw, if you are a doctor, where are you working ?
Maybe you could try watching things like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqVd_BVg1CI
Original post by Funky_Climber
Maybe you could try watching things like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqVd_BVg1CI

Looks like an amazing channel and I am definitely going to start watching a few. I am not under the impression that it will give me an immense head start for my first year in October but if nothing else, it will be fun to watch them.

Which playlists would you all recommend to begin with? Which ones are the most basic and most relevant for ones first year at medical school?

And please, for the love of god, don't tell me I shouldn't watch any of them....
Reply 53
Stop the bitchy arguments.
I'm amazed no-one's posted this guy yet: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/anatomy-for-beginners/4od

There are four episodes by Gunther Von Hagens; you'll find them all there.
Original post by CraigKirk
I'm amazed no-one's posted this guy yet: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/anatomy-for-beginners/4od

I was trying to think of his name the other day, thanks for that :wink:
Original post by CraigKirk

They are not that useful for actually learning anatomy. But interesting none the less.
Reply 57
Original post by Primordial Soup
Regarding videos which I've found useful, the DrNajeeb lectures are incredible for preclinical stuff. I only wish I found them earlier. If the medical school you are applying to/gained entry for has the traditional format of preclinical/clinical I definitely think it would be useful to have a look at some of his lectures before starting.

As for kaplan, I've only seen a few videos but I think they are more aimed for passing exams than learning the fundamental concepts.

Best of luck :smile:

At last.... some people now understand my request.Thanks for all the video links...Keep them pouring in. I will search for "how to enter medical school" if i so wish, but as i previously mentioned, I got admission with top marks last year so that isn't the question. Primordial Soup, CraigKirk, you guys are awesome. I LOVE EVERYONE that took their time to help. MORE! MORE!
Reply 58
Original post by Soletar
At last.... some people now understand my request.Thanks for all the video links...Keep them pouring in. I will search for "how to enter medical school" if i so wish, but as i previously mentioned, I got admission with top marks last year so that isn't the question. Primordial Soup, CraigKirk, you guys are awesome. I LOVE EVERYONE that took their time to help. MORE! MORE!

I found this particularly good for 1st year anatomy.

Seriously, what med school are you attending? I'm not saying don't watch videos but watch appropriate videos geared towards what you'll be learning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending