The Student Room Group

Does a native language affect my medicine application at university?

I'm a lower sixth student who's currently studying Bio Chem And French, I took Core maths as an AS as well which I have just done finals for.

I'm struggling with French and I'm thinking of dropping it if possible, if not that's a different story.

I'm stable with the sciences and my current theorised predicted grades from my progress report so far are AAC, the C grade is in french, so I find the sciences a bit easier than the langauge.

I'm Italian, so Italian is my native langauge, I can understand, read, write and speak fluently. I got a 9 in GCSE on it so I'm pretty good at it, so if I dropped French, I'd pick Italian to help me out since I'd rather get three As than two As at the sciences and a C or a D in french. :/

My question is if the universities will view it as lazy and disregard it by not considering it as an A-level because its my native langauge, when medicine is all about challenging yourself etc.

I'm applying to :

University of Manchester
University of Liverpool
University of Leeds
University of Birmingham
University of Sheffield as a back up.

Some of these are competitive universities and Manchester is my top priority since its closest to me. But they're very well known and have many first classes so they're competitive. And I'm afraid if I pick Italian it won't be looked at well.

Please help 😭 I'd like any information or anything at all!
From what I know, unis don’t accept a native language as an A Level for medicine. Go onto the unis websites to find out more. Or email them to get clear information
It’s much easier to fully invest into French A Level right now and change your revision methods. It seems you can’t revise for sciences the same way you revise language. If medicine is what you truly want to do, then it’s just one more year of French and it might be challenging but reflecting on yourself and growing is very important in medicine. Perhaps speak to your teachers or use other resources - I used YouTubers who studied my Alevels to understand the best revision techniques and got 3A*. Eve Bennet is a YouTuber who studied 3 languages at alevel and her videos may be useful. Hang in there and learn how to effectively revise in a way personalised to you and spend more time on French and it’ll all be worth it !!
Reply 3
Original post by zion.
I'm a lower sixth student who's currently studying Bio Chem And French, I took Core maths as an AS as well which I have just done finals for.

I'm struggling with French and I'm thinking of dropping it if possible, if not that's a different story.

I'm stable with the sciences and my current theorised predicted grades from my progress report so far are AAC, the C grade is in french, so I find the sciences a bit easier than the langauge.

I'm Italian, so Italian is my native langauge, I can understand, read, write and speak fluently. I got a 9 in GCSE on it so I'm pretty good at it, so if I dropped French, I'd pick Italian to help me out since I'd rather get three As than two As at the sciences and a C or a D in french. :/

My question is if the universities will view it as lazy and disregard it by not considering it as an A-level because its my native langauge, when medicine is all about challenging yourself etc.

I'm applying to :

University of Manchester
University of Liverpool
University of Leeds
University of Birmingham
University of Sheffield as a back up.

Some of these are competitive universities and Manchester is my top priority since its closest to me. But they're very well known and have many first classes so they're competitive. And I'm afraid if I pick Italian it won't be looked at well.

Please help 😭 I'd like any information or anything at all!

Same answer as given on the other identical thread you made
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7354903#post98450059
It is against TSR rules to double post
Reply 4
Original post by lookingatthesun
It’s much easier to fully invest into French A Level right now and change your revision methods. It seems you can’t revise for sciences the same way you revise language. If medicine is what you truly want to do, then it’s just one more year of French and it might be challenging but reflecting on yourself and growing is very important in medicine. Perhaps speak to your teachers or use other resources - I used YouTubers who studied my Alevels to understand the best revision techniques and got 3A*. Eve Bennet is a YouTuber who studied 3 languages at alevel and her videos may be useful. Hang in there and learn how to effectively revise in a way personalised to you and spend more time on French and it’ll all be worth it !!

You're so kind, thank you :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending