The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In a level maths I needed to get 180 in C3 and C4 to get an A*.

However i got 100 in C3 and only 79 in C4. I literally need 1 mark to be pushed up to the A*, do you think a remark would be worth it?
Reply 21
Original post by PhoenixxX
Does anyone know why a photocopy of your script is worth more than the original? It's always seemed a little bizarre to me!

Maybe so it's more tempting to get your actual script back which would then prevent you from taking any further action if you wished to make an EAR.
Reply 22
Original post by 101101
In a level maths I needed to get 180 in C3 and C4 to get an A*.

However i got 100 in C3 and only 79 in C4. I literally need 1 mark to be pushed up to the A*, do you think a remark would be worth it?

Nothing to lose :smile: I would remark if I were you.
Reply 23
Original post by Loz17

Important dates

24th August:
Last date to receive applications for priority EAR service 2 and priority script photocopies to support EARs

31st August: Final date to inform universities of any changes in circumstances following an EAR, if they have held your offer.

20th September: Last date to receive applications for EAR services

4th October: Last date to receive applications for ATSs

I've just finished AS.
So I don't need priority remarks or anything so do I still have to request photocopies by the 24th August or can I leave it til I go back to school?
Original post by myyrh
Nothing to lose :smile: I would remark if I were you.

I need 2 more raw marks in my geography exam to get an A overall, do you think it's worth getting a remark? :smile:
Original post by Loz17

Hi, a few questions:
1) could you please tell me the source for this table quoting costs for remarking etc and also the dates as these are completely different to the costs/dates quoted by my college!

2) what does the acronym EAR stand for? this is not a term I have come across before nor one that the college examinations officer was familiar with (worryingly)

3) do you know if it is possible to have the write up from practicals done in the hard sciences re-marked or also oral exams in languages that have been recorded?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 26
Original post by Flyteryder
I need 2 more raw marks in my geography exam to get an A overall, do you think it's worth getting a remark? :smile:

Definitely especially since it's Geography. When I remarked my Geography it went up 16ums. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to rise but it's more likely than a science or maths paper.
Reply 27
Original post by Alotties
Can you not request a photocopy from OCR or is the price just unknown?
Would like to request photocopies of my F322, F212, and possibly 4751 papers :smile:

There was no obvious information on just a photocopy from OCR when I was researching. The trend seems to be that a photocopy is a few pounds higher than the original script. I would suggest you try and contact an adviser at OCR and see if they can quote you a price.

Original post by boomersooner
Hi, a few questions:
1) could you please tell me the source for this table quoting costs for remarking etc and also the dates as these are completely different to the costs/dates quoted by my college!

2) what does the acronym EAR stand for? this is not a term I have come across before nor one that the college examinations officer was familiar with (worryingly)

3) do you know if it is possible to have the write up from practicals done in the hard sciences re-marked or also oral exams in languages that have been recorded?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

1) I can't find links for sources right now as I'm on a work computer, however if I get chance this evening I will recover them. If in the mean time you want to look yourself I found the information on each of the respective exam boards website. However it might be the case that your school processes them so they may charge extra for their service too. Same with the deadlines - it may take time for admin to be sorted so deadlines may be earlier. The deadlines quoted above are quotes from JCQ who oversee all EARs.

2) EAR stands for enquiries about results. Its can also be known as RES (results enquiry service)

3) That;s likely to come under service 3 schemes, which has to be done by teachers only and not individual candidates. You'd have to speak to your teacher if you think they were incorrectly marked as the whole classes have to be moderated.

Original post by Alotties
I've just finished AS.
So I don't need priority remarks or anything so do I still have to request photocopies by the 24th August or can I leave it til I go back to school?

You cannot request priority remarks at AS, so the 20th september deadline is applicable to you. I can;t remember what term dates are like for schools anymore but I assume that date will coinside with your term time so you can wait until you're back at school.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Loz17
There was no obvious information on just a photocopy from OCR when I was researching. The trend seems to be that a photocopy is a few pounds higher than the original script. I would suggest you try and contact an adviser at OCR and see if they can quote you a price.

You cannot request priority remarks at AS, so the 20th september deadline is applicable to you. I can;t remember what term dates are like for schools anymore but I assume that date will coinside with your term time so you can wait until you're back at school.

Thank you ever so much :tongue: I +rep'd you as I really appreciate your help :biggrin:
Original post by Loz17
Hi there.

1) I can't find links for sources right now as I'm on a work computer, however if I get chance this evening I will recover them. If in the mean time you want to look yourself I found the information on each of the respective exam boards website. However it might be the case that your school processes them so they may charge extra for their service too. Same with the deadlines - it may take time for admin to be sorted so deadlines may be earlier. The deadlines quoted above are quotes from JCQ who oversee all EARs.

2) EAR stands for enquiries about results. Its can also be known as RES (results enquiry service)

3) That;s likely to come under service 3 schemes, which has to be done by teachers only and not individual candidates. You'd have to speak to your teacher if you think they were incorrectly marked as the whole classes have to be moderated.

Thank you.
Reply 30
Original post by Mr_Rationalist
really??? didn't know that. are you sure?

Original post by Haesights
Yeah, my friends have remarked GCSE papers before. If your mark goes either up/down you get your money back but that new mark stays, even if it goes down.

Original post by fleur de lis
Unfortunately if you get a remark and your mark goes down, your mark will be 'demoted', as you put it. You don't get to keep the initial mark.

If the examiner was found to be wrong and your mark does go up, you do still have to pay for it, I'm afraid!

Original post by dontbtz
Not the responses I was looking for, lol. But thanks. Seems a little unfair that even though you've proven the examiner was initially wrong, you are still charged (A lot) of money for such services. Also, What do you think is the most my grade might be demoted by, bearing in mind im at the top end of my current grade boundary.

http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/results/Pages/results-alevel.aspx

You should be able to receive a refund if your unit grade or overall grade changes in the conditions given on this Edexcel site. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by myyrh
Maybe so it's more tempting to get your actual script back which would then prevent you from taking any further action if you wished to make an EAR.

Oh, so your exam would be wiped off their system? Ahh, the sneaky bastards :tongue:
Original post by RVNmax
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/results/Pages/results-alevel.aspx

You should be able to receive a refund if your unit grade or overall grade changes in the conditions given on this Edexcel site. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you, I'll correct my post!
Reply 33
I have 201/300 UMS and a B is 210/300 UMS (9 UMS / 3% and even less marks maybe 1 or 2). Of my two papers, would you recommend me getting them re-marked with the chance my grade might go up as I'm annoyed to have to that C. Physics.
Reply 34
Hi I did an OCR AS Psychology Core Studies exam in May 2012 and I revised so much for it, like I'm not even exaggerating, there were 15 case studies i needed to know inside out so i didn't waste time with revision. Basically, whenever we did any mock exams I would always get high/low A's and my teacher herself even said that if I keep this up there should be no reason as to why i shouldn't achieve an A in the real exam. And I can remember on the day of the exam I actually went upto my teacher and predicted what would come up on certain sections of the exam (i.e. Maguire for Section B and Developmental approach for section c) and when i saw these come up i was so happy they came up as section c was basically in the bag as i knew the answers by heart from all the exam practice we had done and even the day after the exam my teacher discussed the exam with me and i told her what i wrote down and in her own words she said that "you are bang on the money there excellent" so I was so upset to see i got a D in the real exam and i don't understand how, i just can't quite put my finger on how i got such a rubbish grade! So do you think it's worth asking for a remark? Cause i really don't think i deserved a D on that paper! Please help me!
Original post by mkhan9035
Hi I did an OCR AS Psychology Core Studies exam in May 2012 and I revised so much for it, like I'm not even exaggerating, there were 15 case studies i needed to know inside out so i didn't waste time with revision. Basically, whenever we did any mock exams I would always get high/low A's and my teacher herself even said that if I keep this up there should be no reason as to why i shouldn't achieve an A in the real exam. And I can remember on the day of the exam I actually went upto my teacher and predicted what would come up on certain sections of the exam (i.e. Maguire for Section B and Developmental approach for section c) and when i saw these come up i was so happy they came up as section c was basically in the bag as i knew the answers by heart from all the exam practice we had done and even the day after the exam my teacher discussed the exam with me and i told her what i wrote down and in her own words she said that "you are bang on the money there excellent" so I was so upset to see i got a D in the real exam and i don't understand how, i just can't quite put my finger on how i got such a rubbish grade! So do you think it's worth asking for a remark? Cause i really don't think i deserved a D on that paper! Please help me!

If you're sure that the grade doesn't reflect how you did in the exam and there could be an error, it may be worth asking for a remark. At the least, it would be worth getting the paper back so you can see what went wrong.
Reply 36
Original post by Potally_Tissed
If you're sure that the grade doesn't reflect how you did in the exam and there could be an error, it may be worth asking for a remark. At the least, it would be worth getting the paper back so you can see what went wrong.

See that's exactly what I thought! Thank you for saying that it is likely! I mean could it be possible that examiners can miss marking parts of the exam? Because my answer for some of the questions went on additional pages at the end of the exam paper but i definitely numbered what question it would relate to! Cause i got 65 raw marks and it is 85 marks for an A and in section C of the exam it is out of 24 marks so that's like half the marks gone! Section A is out of 40 and section B out of 35 so i'm racking my brains out here
Reply 37
Original post by dontbtz
I have 201/300 UMS and a B is 210/300 UMS (9 UMS / 3% and even less marks maybe 1 or 2). Of my two papers, would you recommend me getting them re-marked with the chance my grade might go up as I'm annoyed to have to that C. Physics.

Can I add, my coursework is listed as different to what my teacher said. perhaps it got moderated, can I do anything about this?
Original post by eryk
Seriously I am really concerned about the accuracy of my aqa resuts . I found unit 4 physics harder than unit 5 but ended up with less UMS for unit 5 than for unit 4 even tho 58/75 raw marks for unit 5 was full UMS !!!!!!!!!!! I was really expecting around 100-110 ums for that paper. I will be getting a clerical check for that paper .

have you remarked before?? what is your experience on remarking? do you find that your grades generally improve after getting it done??
plz reply
Reply 39
Quick question, how come getting your original script back is cheaper than getting a photocopy?

Latest