The Student Room Group

Exeter Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madimoment

all the links don't mention the personal statement anywhere... does this mean they don't look at them or they just aren't heavily weighted? x

Barely any emphasis is put on it, as it is a very unreliable measure. (based on the evidence they are using)

Peninsula College of Medicine & Dentistry (Exeter Medical School & Plymouth Schools of Medicine and Density) considers the most predictive instrument of non-academic criteria to be a structured interview. Structured interviews are used as part of the admission process for the BMBS and BDS programmes (see section 5.2 for more information) to identify whether a candidate can demonstrate certain personal attributes, including:

Integrity
Awareness of self and one’s limitations
Veracity/honesty
Reflective
Flexible
Motivation/commitment
Original post by carcinoma

x

At least they arent starting MMI's. Yet.. :rolleyes:
Reply 22
Guys do you know whether Exeter accept resit applicants? I sent them an email and they replied with this:

To study BM,BS Medicine at Exeter for 2013 entry we would typically require A*AA-AAA at A Level. We would specifically require A Level Chemistry and either Biology or Physics. Biology must be achieved at a minimum of Grade C at AS Level if not studied at A Level. Four subjects must be studied at AS Level. General Studies would not be included in any offer. For further details please follow these links:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/medicine/entry/

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/medicine/bmbs/entry/

If you are classified as a direct school leaver, the University of Exeter Medical School uses the UKCAT as a factor in determining which candidates are selected for interview, along with predicted or achieved grades and other information contained within an applicant’s UCAS form. Applicants are advised to visit the UKCAT website. We would advise that an applicant follows the deadlines provided on the UKCAT website. For further details please follow this link: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

I can advise that we would not discriminate regarding retakes for any of our programmes, (as long as they are completed no more than two full academic years (September to August) before starting on the university programme. We would advise that applicants would have to simply make it clear on the UCAS application form when they apply, what they have completed and what they are due to complete).

When you say you are a resit applicant.. do you mean you've resat modules or taken 3 years to complete your a levels?
Original post by BlastOff
Guys do you know whether Exeter accept resit applicants? I sent them an email and they replied with this:

To study BM,BS Medicine at Exeter for 2013 entry we would typically require A*AA-AAA at A Level. We would specifically require A Level Chemistry and either Biology or Physics. Biology must be achieved at a minimum of Grade C at AS Level if not studied at A Level. Four subjects must be studied at AS Level. General Studies would not be included in any offer. For further details please follow these links:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/medicine/entry/

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/medicine/bmbs/entry/

If you are classified as a direct school leaver, the University of Exeter Medical School uses the UKCAT as a factor in determining which candidates are selected for interview, along with predicted or achieved grades and other information contained within an applicant’s UCAS form. Applicants are advised to visit the UKCAT website. We would advise that an applicant follows the deadlines provided on the UKCAT website. For further details please follow this link: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

I can advise that we would not discriminate regarding retakes for any of our programmes, (as long as they are completed no more than two full academic years (September to August) before starting on the university programme. We would advise that applicants would have to simply make it clear on the UCAS application form when they apply, what they have completed and what they are due to complete).

You have to have done the retakes within two years of starting the course.

You can apply with retakes pending. What are you resitting? When I applied, they only accepted my application as I was only retaking modules from two subjects not three. Ideally If you got a B first time round, resitting and applying would be fine.

When you fill out your UCAS form, put the grades you have and then add the subjects you are retaking again, enter the AS grade and leave it as pending. This way you can be predicted a grade for that subject.
I think I'm applying :biggrin:

Question: you have to declare that you've re-sat a module, right? So what if I re-sat an A in core 1 and got a higher A, do I have to put two core 1s with As?
Original post by Holz888

Question: you have to declare that you've re-sat a module, right? So what if I re-sat an A in core 1 and got a higher A, do I have to put two core 1s with As?

Depends on who you ask, I've personally sent a letter to UCAS to clarify this because on the site it says you do have to declare it on one bit and then it says you dont on another. Silly UCAS!

Talk to your college though, I'm personally looking at having a few remarked and leaving the grades as pending so yeah its difficult because the advice is varied and not even UCAS seems to be decided. :tongue:
Original post by Holz888

Original post by HarryMWilliams
Depends on who you ask, I've personally sent a letter to UCAS to clarify this because on the site it says you do have to declare it on one bit and then it says you dont on another. Silly UCAS!

Talk to your college though, I'm personally looking at having a few remarked and leaving the grades as pending so yeah its difficult because the advice is varied and not even UCAS seems to be decided. :tongue:

You do not have to declare it, as it was not Cashed-In. You only have to declare qualifications which were cashed.

You can just put the modules which will be going towards the qualification.
Original post by HarryMWilliams

Original post by carcinoma
You do not have to declare it, as it was not Cashed-In. You only have to declare qualifications which were cashed.

You can just put the modules which will be going towards the qualification.

Reply 31
ahh so proud/excited!

just edited my first wiki page- exeter applicants stalking page!! makes everything so real!!!

made several mistakes :colondollar: --- even with the 'preview' button i managed to forget that 'J' comes after 'H' *facepalm*

i really hope i like exeter on the open day next week!! :biggrin: who else is going?? :biggrin:
Original post by jess_m94
ahh so proud/excited!

just edited my first wiki page- exeter applicants stalking page!! makes everything so real!!!

made several mistakes :colondollar: --- even with the 'preview' button i managed to forget that 'J' comes after 'H' *facepalm*

i really hope i like exeter on the open day next week!! :biggrin: who else is going?? :biggrin:

Haha well done. I am :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Holz888
Haha well done. I am :smile:

thank you :tongue:

i live about 3 hours away...why oh why did i book the 10:30 med talk?? :confused:

just emailed them to try and change it otherwise i'm gonna be a zombie all day :tongue:
Original post by jess_m94
thank you :tongue:

i live about 3 hours away...why oh why did i book the 10:30 med talk?? :confused:

just emailed them to try and change it otherwise i'm gonna be a zombie all day :tongue:

I live 4 1/2 hours away, but we're going up the night before and staying in a hotel, so it's all good :biggrin:
Who are you going with?
Reply 35
How many places does Exeter have for A100? I heard its 50 :O
Original post by madimoment
i got a 670 average :smile:

all the links don't mention the personal statement anywhere... does this mean they don't look at them or they just aren't heavily weighted? x

I got the same as you hoping to apply here, have you got the grades yet? :smile:
Original post by J1994D
Thought I'd start a thread as none are up for this uni! Results are in so who's applying to exeter?!
Any fellow gap year applicants (4 rejections last year) applying? Discuss anything here! Good luck in your applications!

Yea I'm a gap year applicant :biggrin:
Original post by lilyobz
How many places does Exeter have for A100? I heard its 50 :O

From http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/ ... "Entrants: 125 - Applicants: 1134"
Original post by KeepMovingForward
I got the same as you hoping to apply here, have you got the grades yet? :smile:

Wooooo 670 club :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending