The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Hi there,

I just got my chemistry grades back and I’m getting an A predicted grade if I’m lucky.

What should I do, I know medical schools still ask for minimum of AAA but I’ve been told it’s hard to apply and have good chances with decent unis (Ik unis don’t matter for medicine but yk what I mean). Please be front with me, how much worse are my chances at applying if I don’t have an A* in chemistry. For biology I will probably get an A* prediction. And for psychology a or a*.

What do I do how much more limited is my opportunity of getting accepted in. I want to apply to the likes of Exeter and such. I will try get a high ucat but beyond that pls answer this, for the other students who have 3 A* how much worse is my application overall compared to them. And am I likely to enter Exeter or Bristol with such grades. I will aim for a high ucat but I feel like these grades will truly limit me. All other medical applicants that I know have 3 A* in their predicted.
You can definitely still apply. I applied with A*A*A (A in Chemistry) and got offers from Imperial, UCL and Queen Mary. King's rejected me post-interview but they said it was due to poor interview performance not predicted grades. I think anything above A*AA is fine, barely any of my fellow Medicine applicants at school had A*A*A*. The main thing is to do well in the UCAT and/or BMAT. Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by zynnjah123
Hi there,

I just got my chemistry grades back and I’m getting an A predicted grade if I’m lucky.

What should I do, I know medical schools still ask for minimum of AAA but I’ve been told it’s hard to apply and have good chances with decent unis (Ik unis don’t matter for medicine but yk what I mean). Please be front with me, how much worse are my chances at applying if I don’t have an A* in chemistry. For biology I will probably get an A* prediction. And for psychology a or a*.

What do I do how much more limited is my opportunity of getting accepted in. I want to apply to the likes of Exeter and such. I will try get a high ucat but beyond that pls answer this, for the other students who have 3 A* how much worse is my application overall compared to them. And am I likely to enter Exeter or Bristol with such grades. I will aim for a high ucat but I feel like these grades will truly limit me. All other medical applicants that I know have 3 A* in their predicted.

Most med schools do not look at A levels beyond checking you meet minimum requirements, however Exeter rate A levels highly, and unless WP, has needed A*A*A* for years.
Oitside of the handful tha tuse them in scoring, it will make no difference what you are predicted, as long as you meet minimum requirments
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
Most med schools do not look at A levels beyond checking you meet minimum requirements, however Exeter rate A levels highly, and unless WP, has needed A*A*A* for years.
Oitside of the handful tha tuse them in scoring, it will make no difference what you are predicted, as long as you meet minimum requirments

ok thank you for that, ive checked exeters website and they say their minimum requirement is AAA. where have u found this information? i mean i believe you but where can i even for future reference when looking at other unis, decide what i can apply to based on my grades
Reply 4
Original post by nevergoodbye
You can definitely still apply. I applied with A*A*A (A in Chemistry) and got offers from Imperial, UCL and Queen Mary. King's rejected me post-interview but they said it was due to poor interview performance not predicted grades. I think anything above A*AA is fine, barely any of my fellow Medicine applicants at school had A*A*A*. The main thing is to do well in the UCAT and/or BMAT. Hope that helps!

hi there, thanks for the reply. just for clarification, did you apply with those predicted grades you got from year 12 or are they your actual alevel results. many thanks
Reply 5
ok thank you for that, ive checked exeters website and they say their minimum requirement is AAA. where have u found this information? i mean i believe you but where can i even for future reference when looking at other unis, decide what i can apply to based on my grades

Check out their website, their scoring system is on there - websites are always a good place to look for information
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/v8media/recruitmentsites/documents/BMBS_admissions_policy_2022-23v5.pdf (although that is for 2023 entry)
You needed 100 points 2 years ago and I think 98 and a few with 95 this year
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
Check out their website, their scoring system is on there - websites are always a good place to look for information
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/v8media/recruitmentsites/documents/BMBS_admissions_policy_2022-23v5.pdf (although that is for 2023 entry)
You needed 100 points 2 years ago and I think 98 and a few with 95 this year

hi again, thanks for linking the document. however i dont necesarrily understand what the tables mean. it says in the begining a minumum requirement of AAA is needed. but, is this the requirements given to students who already passed the selection and interview process ?
Reply 7
hi again, thanks for linking the document. however i dont necesarrily understand what the tables mean. it says in the begining a minumum requirement of AAA is needed. but, is this the requirements given to students who already passed the selection and interview process ?

It is a bizarre and totally ridiculous situation where you realistically need to be predicted A*A*A* to get an interview, but any offer would only be for AAA. Madness!
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
It is a bizarre and totally ridiculous situation where you realistically need to be predicted A*A*A* to get an interview, but any offer would only be for AAA. Madness!

Oh makes sense, glad it’s only for Exeter though
Reply 9
Oh makes sense, glad it’s only for Exeter though

Nope. Some of the others use a similar scoring algorithm, though not many
hi there, thanks for the reply. just for clarification, did you apply with those predicted grades you got from year 12 or are they your actual alevel results. many thanks

predicted
Hi there,

Totally depends on the medical school. For Bristol you could 1000% get in with those grades as long as you smash your UCAT but to be honest with you I wouldn't bother applying to Exeter with an A predicted because they seem to weigh them really highly so its not worth it. Wish you all the best though!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending