The Student Room Group

Never been to a hairdresser but want to style my hair- where do I start?

Ive never been to a hairdresser in my life, sounds embarassing and my cousin laughed and she didn't think I was being serious:redface:. But because I never done nothing to my hair apart from shampoo and condition it, it's been in a healthy condition.

My hair is waist length, thick, wavy and dark. Ive never done nothing to my hair andI just tell my mum to trim my hair as she is pretty good. I want my hair in long layers but I don't know if it will work because of the texture and waviness of my hair. I also want a haircut that works with my natural hair texture.

I want to go for a new look that suits my face shape. I don't even know what would suit me, how do I know? and is it wise to let the hairdresser decide for me? Im excited to go for the first time and have a change but at the same time nervous because most people know firmly what they want when they take a vist to the hairdresser and Im not sure exactly what I want.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Waist length... CUT CUT CUT YUKKKK lol
Reply 2
Thats what my cousin and aunt said, to style and cut my hair as it would look better. As I said I haven't done anything with my hair except for comb. clean and plait and I do feel it's time I did something lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BaldFadedBrother
Waist length... CUT CUT CUT YUKKKK lol

How is that yuck? :holmes:
Go in and say "surprise me"
Original post by DreamKitty
Ive never been to a hairdresser in my life, sounds embarassing and my cousin laughed and she didn't think I was being serious:redface:. But because I never done nothing to my hair apart from shampoo and condition it, it's been in a healthy condition.

My hair is waist length, thick, wavy and dark. Ive never done nothing to my hair andI just tell my mum to trim my hair as she is pretty good. I want my hair in long layers but I don't know if it will work because of the texture and waviness of my hair. I also want a haircut that works with my natural hair texture.

I want to go for a new look that suits my face shape. I don't even know what would suit me, how do I know? and is it wise to let the hairdresser decide for me? Im excited to go for the first time and have a change but at the same time nervous because most people know firmly what they want when they take a vist to the hairdresser and Im not sure exactly what I want.

Say the things that I've just highlighted in bold to the hairdresser, then they'll be on hand to give you some advice, you at least have some sort of idea already :smile:
Reply 6

Go to a good hair saloon like Toni and Guy and ask them. They will be able to suggest to you what will work and what is in fashion etc. However they won't be cheap.
Reply 7
shorttstuff, I hadn't realised what I wrote myself but I guess that is a good start to letting them know what I want. Also I know alot of hairdressers straighten, sell products to style the hair but I don't really want this. All I want is a haircut that can work with my hair. I know some girls who straighten their hair everyday but I don't want to invest in a hair straightener and a haircut is enough for me.
just get it breast length with layers and an optional fringe
Reply 9
Original post by Jimbo1234
Go to a good hair saloon like Toni and Guy and ask them. They will be able to suggest to you what will work and what is in fashion etc. However they won't be cheap.

There is a Toni and Guy near me and some other professional salon as well as many cheap salons. I was just going to ask this question, Im prepared to pay the price as long as it under £40.

I would feel pretty scared to get my hair cuit for £5 to be honest lol.
There is a Toni and Guy near me and some other professional salon as well as many cheap salons. I was just going to ask this question, Im prepared to pay the price as long as it under £40.

Depends what cut you get, if you get a simple cut and layered cost around 15-30 pounds
shorttstuff, I hadn't realised what I wrote myself but I guess that is a good start to letting them know what I want. Also I know alot of hairdressers straighten, sell products to style the hair but I don't really want this. All I want is a haircut that can work with my hair. I know some girls who straighten their hair everyday but I don't want to invest in a hair straightener and a haircut is enough for me.

Well at my hairdressers they normally ask me if I want it straight or curly or just blow dried, they tend to be really relaxed with you about it :smile:

Depending on how much they have to do, it might be over £40, but not much and to be honest, it would be worth it - mainly to be given a style which you can then ask anyone else for.
All I can say is please don't let them cut it into a bra length, mid length layers, side fringe kind of cut that they do for everyone who doesn't know what they want. It never looks good, keep the length too, I think longer hair looks a bit more interesting.

What I mean is avoid this kind of cut

Lauren-Conrad-015060.jpg

I think I know about 20 girls with it, really. I think it's the only thing they are taught at hairdressing college. Go to a decent hair dresser that knows what they are doing too.
Reply 14
Original post by llessur123
All I can say is please don't let them cut it into a bra length, mid length layers, side fringe kind of cut that they do for everyone who doesn't know what they want. It never looks good, keep the length too, I think longer hair looks a bit more interesting.

Lauren-Conrad-015060.jpg

I think I know about 20 girls with it, really. I think it's the only thing they are taught at hairdressing college. Go to a decent hair dresser that knows what they are doing too.

I was actually thinking of this kind of cut . Your right, I see alot of young women with this hairstyle. I want the hairdresser to tell me what my face shape is so that I can work out what suits me. I wish I could try out some wigs before letting them cut my hair lol. I know they have catalogues and hair magazines but to be honest I don't think it's a good idea of how I would look since everyone has different facial structure, shape etc.
Reply 15
Original post by llessur123

Lauren-Conrad-015060.jpg

lol I feel insulted now. I have that style but at my shoulders.:smile:
Reply 16
if you want to keep it long, i wouldnt go any longer than elbow length.
just say you want layers in that will compliment your natural hair shape, and ask about the parting and what would be best for your face shape. always get it feathered around the face, too!
if its thick and wavy, you could also ask them to thin it a bit as this will reduce its weight and make it more 'bouncy'. however, you might want to stick with longer layers to start with (like, below the jaw line) because any shorter ones may make your hair go outwards. this happens with me but ive found some amazing cream which helps my hair curl and gives it shape, so i dont have that problem much anymore :smile:

if youre still not confident, then just look at tonnes of pictures of hair styles and if you find one you like, print it off and show your hairdresser.

have fun :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by shaunadamjones
just get it breast length with layers and an optional fringe

This is my hairstyle and it's good (y)
And most importantly, don't go to the salon I went to once where the guy only spoke Turkish and not English. Yes, it was in England...
Original post by aedai
lol I feel insulted now. I have that style but at my shoulders.:smile:

Like I said, it's rather common haha.

Quick Reply

Latest