The Student Room Group

My friend keeps giving me headlice

Hey everyone,
I have a really close friend to me who has headlice, i am not judging this at all because things happen and she does work experience at a primary school for her course, however it is becoming out of control and she has given me lice twice in less than a month. I know it’s her another friend of ours (that i only see at college and we have checked each others hair with the combs and found nothing - she’s not just starting nasty rumours to cover up for herself) saw lice in her hair when we were hanging out and the first time i found out i had lice was after they were seen in her hair and about 5 days after i hung out with her (i have only hung out with my boyfriend other than this and he has checked his hair too) and now less than 3 weeks later i have come back from hanging out with her again and have found 2 lice and a few eggs in my hair (that is all as i found them the day after i had hung out with her and have treated it early).

We are 18 and i’m currently sitting my alevels so this has added more stress up on me. Me, my boyfriend and my other friend have spoken to her about this and how we saw them in her hair and asked her to check because she is the only one of us surrounded by young children and she has become defensive and said we are ‘attacking’ her and that she checks her hair all the time, we have been nice about this as i understand it’s not her fault and id never want to make her feel singled out or upset for a situation that she has no control over, however, im becoming increasingly paranoid about going out and hanging out with anyone and im beginning to distance myself from her and from everyone as i’m so worried about getting them again and spending so much money on these lice treatments and lots of time combing out my hair (i have long hair so it’s harder to tie up without having some hanging down)

What should i do? speaking to her was aiming to give her a heads up but she seems to be taking no notice and going out with other people possibility giving it to them to. The one time she did check was on dry hair without a comb even though the lice can hide and the comb can glide through better on wet hair. I had considered the fact that the first time we mentioned it to her (the first time i found them in my hair)she may have found some and been too embarrassed to tell us and treated it privately, however, upon hanging out with her again after having no nits or eggs for 2 weeks (i have been checking everyday) and then coming home and finding 2 lice in my hair it tells me it’s definitely her and she definitely hasn’t sorted it seeming as i found nothing the whole period where i didn’t hang out with her.

I’m worried for her that it will get to the point where she has so many it will affect her and cause her discomfort whilst being obvious for more people to see (before anyone states that it could be a financial reason as to why she can’t treat it it’s not, we are really close so i know she has a good paying job and i even offered to give her a bottle of the treatment i bought which she turned down)

What should i do? i don’t want to stop hanging out with her but i can’t keep catching nits off her, i’ve had them more in a month then i had in years in school and this is the first time i’ve had them since primary because you don’t expect it at this age, i don’t blame her at all but just wish she would sort it out. Right now also isn’t the best time with my Alevels looming over me
Let me know your thoughts on what i should do
leave your friend behind, focus only on yourself
I just signed up what 😭
Original post by anon.2949
I just signed up what 😭

LOL
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone,
I have a really close friend to me who has headlice, i am not judging this at all because things happen and she does work experience at a primary school for her course, however it is becoming out of control and she has given me lice twice in less than a month. I know it’s her another friend of ours (that i only see at college and we have checked each others hair with the combs and found nothing - she’s not just starting nasty rumours to cover up for herself) saw lice in her hair when we were hanging out and the first time i found out i had lice was after they were seen in her hair and about 5 days after i hung out with her (i have only hung out with my boyfriend other than this and he has checked his hair too) and now less than 3 weeks later i have come back from hanging out with her again and have found 2 lice and a few eggs in my hair (that is all as i found them the day after i had hung out with her and have treated it early).

We are 18 and i’m currently sitting my alevels so this has added more stress up on me. Me, my boyfriend and my other friend have spoken to her about this and how we saw them in her hair and asked her to check because she is the only one of us surrounded by young children and she has become defensive and said we are ‘attacking’ her and that she checks her hair all the time, we have been nice about this as i understand it’s not her fault and id never want to make her feel singled out or upset for a situation that she has no control over, however, im becoming increasingly paranoid about going out and hanging out with anyone and im beginning to distance myself from her and from everyone as i’m so worried about getting them again and spending so much money on these lice treatments and lots of time combing out my hair (i have long hair so it’s harder to tie up without having some hanging down)

What should i do? speaking to her was aiming to give her a heads up but she seems to be taking no notice and going out with other people possibility giving it to them to. The one time she did check was on dry hair without a comb even though the lice can hide and the comb can glide through better on wet hair. I had considered the fact that the first time we mentioned it to her (the first time i found them in my hair)she may have found some and been too embarrassed to tell us and treated it privately, however, upon hanging out with her again after having no nits or eggs for 2 weeks (i have been checking everyday) and then coming home and finding 2 lice in my hair it tells me it’s definitely her and she definitely hasn’t sorted it seeming as i found nothing the whole period where i didn’t hang out with her.

I’m worried for her that it will get to the point where she has so many it will affect her and cause her discomfort whilst being obvious for more people to see (before anyone states that it could be a financial reason as to why she can’t treat it it’s not, we are really close so i know she has a good paying job and i even offered to give her a bottle of the treatment i bought which she turned down)

What should i do? i don’t want to stop hanging out with her but i can’t keep catching nits off her, i’ve had them more in a month then i had in years in school and this is the first time i’ve had them since primary because you don’t expect it at this age, i don’t blame her at all but just wish she would sort it out. Right now also isn’t the best time with my Alevels looming over me
Let me know your thoughts on what i should do

Idk what to say tbh. I personally would avoid seeing her until she sorts it out (maybe give her an ultimatum saying that?) but if you do continue to hang out with her I'd say put your hair up in tight protective styles (e.g. braids) and wear a hat or some sort of head covering as much as possible. Also avoid letting your heads get too close or if you go to each other's homes, don't share pillows/hair brushes, or let her sit on your bed etc.

Once in my teen years, my cousins and I had a big meetup and afterwards most of us realised we now had lice when we hadn't previously. It wasn't difficult to realise who we got it from and our mums were NOT happy about it. Luckily I avoided spreading it to anyone else because I wear the hijab but I did have to put a lot of time and effort into removing the lice completely. From then on, I avoided sitting too close to those cousins or on their beds and tried not to let them into my room too much either because it wasn't worth the risk. I also started wearing my hijab around them full-time for further protection. I did feel a bit bad about the whole thing but more than that I was quite angry and upset that my hair was now. Also, one of my other cousins - who had previously had the most gorgeous long straight healthy hair - had to cut most of it off against her will because the lice was just too hard to deal with, which completely broke my heart for her. So yeah, if you've spoken to your friend about it and she isn't taking your advice on board then you're going to have to do what's best for you because it's not fair on you or your loved ones for you to stay at home alone all the time just because your friend gave you lice or whatever.
Reply 5
Keep your hair braided/tied up whilst around her and try to avoid close physical contact. You have to look after yourself here - she is a big girl and can decide whether or not she needs to do anything about her own situation. If she is still in school/college, she can get a prescription for treatment from her GP for free if cost is an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending