The Student Room Group

General Maths Questions

Hello, welcome to the General Questions thread for Maths.

This thread is for questions of a non-specific nature, such as:

"Is <subject> hard?", "Will I be able to do well at <subject>?" etc.

If you want to ask a specific question about a particular topic, or want
help with a question, then feel free to start a new thread.

This will help to de-clutter the Academic Help forums, and make them much easier to use.

Scroll to see replies

Hey I am considering buying one of these two calculators for the examinations (edexcel c1,c2,c3 and c4) in summer however I am unsure if they are permitted or not:

Casio:

FX85ES
FX991ES (http://www.casio.co.uk/prod/product....&ImageNumber=1)

They both under my interpretation are acceptable to use in examination conditions, however if anybody can provide a justification for otherwise please post.

Thank you for your time,
setwiththesun
Reply 2
Edexcel C1 is a non-calculator exam.
I use FX85ES its fine not sure about the other one.
I just bought the fx991ES and my tutor said it is ok for C3, C4, and M2. To be honest I'm not bothered...they never check anyway.

I heard you're allowed to use graphic calculators for the above exams( C3 and C4) so I'm guessing this is OK...?
do you think anyone would check if I used a ti-89 titanium? I know its cheeky but its a bloody amazing calculator.
Reply 5
That Casio fx991ES is brilliant. Ive asked teachers at our school and they've very clearly said that because it isn't a graphic calculator it and doesn't have the ability to manipulate algebraically, there is really no chance they can say no to it.
Reply 6
Vazzyb
That Casio fx991ES is brilliant. Ive asked teachers at our school and they've very clearly said that because it isn't a graphic calculator it and doesn't have the ability to manipulate algebraically, there is really no chance they can say no to it.

Just googled it, and see it can do numeric intergration something that could come in usefull in C4 to avoid careless mistakes. Its says its got an equation solver as well does this include quadratics? Any other features that will come in handy, i am considering buying this now.
for the Casio FX991ES it indicates that the calculator contains:

Equation solver.
Quadratic/simultaneous equation facility.

Is this the very symbolic algebra that is disallowed?
for the Casio FX991ES it indicates that the calculator contains:

Equation solver.
Quadratic/simultaneous equation facility.

Is this the very symbolic algebra that is disallowed?

Yes your allowed this calculator. Symbolic algebra means the calculaor can do stuff like reaarange equations, and do calculus symbolically,which is you can say differentiate 4X^3 and get:

dy/dx=12X^2

However you would be aloud a calculator that can do it numerically, which is fair as it still requires for you to have a good grasp of the maths.
Reply 9
As long as these calculators haven't got the ability to deal with the more general - algebraic manipulations - they're ok.
Reply 10
mrsmiley
do you think anyone would check if I used a ti-89 titanium? I know its cheeky but its a bloody amazing calculator.

No, its not allowed :frown:

It has symbollic integration and differentiation.
Reply 11
Vazzyb
As long as these calculators haven't got the ability to deal with the more general - algebraic manipulations - they're ok.

I don't think you are allowed something that solves equations for you.

Also mentioned above "since it is not graphical it probably wont be banned" -- or something like that. Well graphical calculators are allowed so the fact that is isn't a graphical seems largely irrelevant.

Numerical integration is fine. It is only the trapezium rule.
Reply 12
Really it can only solve quadratics - not, crucially, factorise them for you. There is an important distinction - just writing down the roots won't pick up method marks. The method marks could be gained from something that factorises you see, but not from a solution generator.

And can you get A marks without M? No. I think thats the important factor.
Reply 13
Vazzyb
Really it can only solve quadratics - not, crucially, factorise them for you. There is an important distinction - just writing down the roots won't pick up method marks. The method marks could be gained from something that factorises you see, but not from a solution generator.

And can you get A marks without M? No. I think thats the important factor.

Thats not much of a defence Vazzy I mean if it can be factorised then your calculator will give you exact answers like x=1 x=2 and you will automaticly know (x-1)(x-2) are factors, although at this level I dont think its to big of a deal, factorisation was like GCSE.

I can see use in the numeric intergration though say they give you an intergral that required a subsitution with limits , you could calculate the anwer and compare it with you subsitution answer to make sure you made no mistakes. I think I am going to go out and buy one.
Fx 115 MS and fx991 MS(and I think fx 570MS) can both solve quadratic and cubic equations, as well as numerical integration and differentiation.

Both these calculators were used by the majority of the students(myself included) sitting AS math last year and not one teacher or invigilator objected to it.
Reply 15
Malik
Thats not much of a defence Vazzy I mean if it can be factorised then your calculator will give you exact answers like x=1 x=2 and you will automaticly know (x-1)(x-2) are factors, although at this level I dont think its to big of a deal, factorisation was like GCSE.

You see my argument is, there is the Method Mark and the Accuracy Mark. The Method must be there for the accuracy. Now say there is a pair of these marks for solving a quadratic, which in itself is unlikely at this level, but lets suppose. The Method mark always needs a proof of the actual method to be clearly shown. Now a calculator giving solutions is no use here. Accuracy with no method is useless. However, say you have a calculator, which for example, factorises or shows you the way to use the formula, algebraically, then you could get that method and that accuracy.
Reply 16
mizfissy815
[fx115 MS and fx991 MS]were used by the majority of the students(myself included) sitting AS math last year and not one teacher or invigilator objected to it.

:ditto:

We have all used the same calculators since GCSE and there seems to be no problem in using them.
Reply 17
Hi,

Could somebody please clear this up.

You started edexcel AS level maths in septemeber 2005, and have just got your results.

you've taken c1+c2 +s1 this summer.

How many & which units do you need to take next year to get the 'a-level' in maths???

im thinking it is: c1+c2+s1.....and.....c3+s2+d1

can d1 be taken???

Thanks

PS: this info is for somebody else.
Reply 18
For Edexcel you must take C1,C2,C3 and C4 along with 2 application modules. So you could take S1,S2 or M1,M2 or D1,D2 or S1,M1 etc what you cannot do is take S1,M2. Hope that helps.
Reply 19
so you cant do c1+c2+c3+s1+s2+d1 ??

thanks for your help

Latest