The Student Room Group

Bands/Artists that you really like but no one else seems to..

As a bit of a flipside to the other thread, name the artists who have really captivated you and held a monopoly over your listening habits for weeks or even months...but no one else you know seems to quite 'get'.

Sonic Youth is probably the big one for me at the moment and there are some more obscure electronic acts like Autechre or Aphex Twin that people never understood my fixation on...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Andy Clayburn
Reply 2
Refused.
Aphex Twin is massive dude.

The Gathering are my favourite band, but I have never met another English person who has even heard of them. This sucks because they won't play here :frown:
Reply 4
Tame Impala are my favourite modern day band (I say modern day because I don't listen to modern music as much as I listen to older stuff), but I've never come across anyone outside of TSR who knows who they are. It's a shame really because they have a lush 60's psy-rock vibe going on - check out Sundown Syndrome, Solitude is Bliss.

There's also a lot of post-punk bands from the 70's I like that people haven't heard of (again, probably people on TSR know them but no-one irl) like Magazine, Orange Juice or Television.

Ty Segall Band also aren't as well-known as they should be. TOY have just released a great debut album but I doubt they'll become that well-known either. Unfortunately there's tons of excellent music being made right now but people prefer anything autoned featuring Pitbull and produced by David Guetta instead, looking at the charts.
Squatters.
Reply 6
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
Aphex Twin is massive dude.

I know this, but no one else I know seems to really dig him :tongue:
Reply 7
Aphex are amazing - I like your choices there sir *doffs hat*

A-ha - everyone thought they were cheesy rubbish after Take On Me but the first album was pretty good (showing my age).
Prince - most people think I'm crazy for liking him.
Kate Bush - I grew up listening to her music, massive impact for me.
Crystal Castles - people know the big hits but miss the lesser known, better ones.
Reply 8
Best Coast and to a lesser extent, Surfer Blood - surf pop is fantastic!
Original post by glousck
Tame Impala are my favourite modern day band (I say modern day because I don't listen to modern music as much as I listen to older stuff), but I've never come across anyone outside of TSR who knows who they are. It's a shame really because they have a lush 60's psy-rock vibe going on - check out Sundown Syndrome, Solitude is Bliss.

There's also a lot of post-punk bands from the 70's I like that people haven't heard of (again, probably people on TSR know them but no-one irl) like Magazine, Orange Juice or Television.

Ty Segall Band also aren't as well-known as they should be. TOY have just released a great debut album but I doubt they'll become that well-known either. Unfortunately there's tons of excellent music being made right now but people prefer anything autoned featuring Pitbull and produced by David Guetta instead, looking at the charts.

You have amazing taste my friend, Tame Impala are amazing! Can't wait for the new album :smile: I found myself nodding at every band you listed. You should totally check out Pond, Lotus Plaza, Total Slacker, Dwellers on the Threshold and Yuck :biggrin:

I have the same problem, OP. I've even had to go to several gigs on my own or even miss out on seeing some artists (St. Vincent is incredible live, hate that I had to miss that gig) altogether because none of my friends have heard of them, and when I recommend some songs, they don't seem to 'get' them fully or appreciate their talent, since they prefer Nicki Minaj (I like her music too, but come on)..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Mendingteeth
You have amazing taste my friend, Tame Impala are amazing! Can't wait for the new album :smile: I found myself nodding at every band you listed. You should totally check out Pond, Lotus Plaza, Total Slacker, Dwellers on the Threshold and Yuck :biggrin:

I have the same problem, OP. I've even had to go to several gigs on my own or even miss out on seeing some artists (St. Vincent is incredible live, hate that I had to miss that gig) altogether because none of my friends have heard of them, and when I recommend some songs, they don't seem to 'get' them fully or appreciate their talent, since they prefer Nicki Minaj (I like her music too, but come on)..

I'm actually listening to Innerspeaker right now :biggrin: I also can't wait for Lonerism to come out next month, from what I've heard of it so far it should be just as amazing as Innerspeaker! They're very underappreciated IMO, not just by the charts but also by the alternative music press mostly. I think they're coming to London at the end of October which I might go to. Thankyou for those reccomendations though, I enjoyed Pond's 'Beards Wives Denim' this year also! Seems like Perth is an exciting place for music right now :smile:

Original post by CrazyPyramid
I know this, but no one else I know seems to really dig him :tongue:

really? I know tons of people who listen to his stuff, most of my uni friends who know anything about music listen to him. I'm sure some people you know of listen to him? Whereas I have literally never met another person who has even heard of the gathering, let alone listen to them. It sucks
Original post by missybct
Aphex are amazing - I like your choices there sir *doffs hat*

A-ha - everyone thought they were cheesy rubbish after Take On Me but the first album was pretty good (showing my age).
Kate Bush - I grew up listening to her music, massive impact for me.
Crystal Castles - people know the big hits but miss the lesser known, better ones.

you just listed some exceptionally successful, well-listened-to musical acts
The amount of videos on here made my computer cry a little when trying to load. :frown:

But, I don't really know anybody who likes John Frusciante circa '97. :dontknow:
Reply 15
mostly hardcore band like hundredth, la dispute, defeater

People that don't like Prince need to clean their ears out with a cloth!
Reply 17
Original post by The Velour Fog
The amount of videos on here made my computer cry a little when trying to load. :frown:

But, I don't really know anybody who likes John Frusciante circa '97. :dontknow:

Now you do. Well not quite seems we don't know each other but it's a start.
Reply 18
Original post by simoncino
you just listed some exceptionally successful, well-listened-to musical acts

Successful and well listened to music acts mean nothing among my friends. I was speaking from my social group.
Reply 19

Prince is one of the all time greats. Sign O' The Times is without question one of the greatest records ever made, and by far the greatest made by a 'popstar'.

Quick Reply

Latest