The Student Room Group

Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by limetang
Didn't take long for us to see evidence of Godwin's law in this thread.

Haha that's exactly what I thought too :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by abc:)
Of course, most flights have at least one child on and children do tend to cry especially when taking off and landing. Is it a big deal?

Er, to a lot of people, yes. Believe it or not not everyone wants to be around babies and children, especially when they're screaming and in a confined space. Sorry if that offends you, but you're essentially forcing the most irritating behaviour of your children on other people. Why is a family zone on a plane such a 'big deal'? It suits everyone - kids can cry to their hearts content and the other parents will be understanding. The other passengers can relax in peace.
Reply 42
Hmmn, while I do see the point in this since wailing kids on planes and so irritating, however this is also abit unfair to well behaved kids on flights. I have been on long haul flights since I was 8, and short haul flights before that. Even when I was 8 I found screaming kids really annoying as I sat there watching a film or reading a book, this idea means that well behaved kids under 12 will now have to put up with even more of these badly behaved little b'stards.
Yes!

There is nothing more infuriating than crying babies on planes, because there is nothing you can do short of going up to it and screaming back at it. You can even hear them over your headphones which you have put on in a desperate attempt to block out the noise.

I remember on one domestic flight I was on, a guy a few rows back just shouted 'Shut up!' when this baby was really screaming loudly for nearly the whole flight.
Sounds like a great idea to me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
No, I don't personally agree with the idea. We are all babies and children at some point, and children are part of our society as much as adults. Just because it is frustrating (which I don't deny) to have a child shouting or a baby crying doesn't mean we can say let's put them in another room to save our bother. As someone above has suggested headphones are an option, and in general if you choose to fly you have to accept you ma be uncomfortable or not be able to sleep.

I mean, where would you draw the line... what about people (children or adults) with disabilities which mean they may make a lot of noise? Of course I'm not trying to say this is the same as a child, but I'm sure no-one would suggest that such a person should be segregated or not allowed to fly. What about people who don't want to sleep and want to talk the whole flight... should they be placed in a separate room? The whole thing could go on and on getting more extreme. Children make noise and it's something people should have to accept.

Having said all the above, I personally would never take a baby on a plane except if I absolutely had to (eg. was moving country, needed medical treatment etc). I wouldn't take a baby on a plane holiday. But that's my personal choice which I wouldn't want to impose on others.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
As someone above has suggested headphones are an option

They don't block out all noise.

What about people who don't want to sleep and want to talk the whole flight... should they be placed in a separate room?

A screaming baby and someone talking aren't the same thing.
Original post by Cybele
Er, to a lot of people, yes. Believe it or not not everyone wants to be around babies and children, especially when they're screaming and in a confined space. Sorry if that offends you, but you're essentially forcing the most irritating behaviour of your children on other people. Why is a family zone on a plane such a 'big deal'? It suits everyone - kids can cry to their hearts content and the other parents will be understanding. The other passengers can relax in peace.

Children are a fact of life. Children who cry are a fact of life. Children who cry in confined spaces like aeroplanes is also a fact of life. If, as a mature adult, you feel that you cannnot cope with what is essentially a natural human activity or you somehow feel that people are deliberately tormenting your soul with their crying infants then you currently have a simple choice to make. Don't fly. Don't fly and avoid the risk of putting yourself in a situation that you find difficult to deal with.

I would only support such an idea on the basis that families were not compromised. Afterall, this is your problem and not theirs. If you wish to sit in a quiet area of an aeroplane, then I agree, it should be within your right to purchase a ticket for a seat in such an area. It may be the case that you have to pay a premium for such seating. Again, a choice you would have to make. I certainly wouldn't want to see families ushered away like a group of social outcasts simply because they have children in tow.
Reply 48
Original post by Cybele

This.
Definitely a good idea. While a baby crying is not the parent's fault, other passengers trying to chill out shouldn't have to put up with it if they don't have to.
Reply 50
Sounds like a good idea, i've had to endure a 9 hour flight to New York with a child right behind me screaming at the top of its voice and kicking my seat
No point.
That would be so good. Although at 4 I managed to be quiet on a flight to Boston because my mother brought plenty of things to entertain me with, unfortunately this seems to be too much of a task for some other parents.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 53
They have 'Quiet Zones' on the Virgin trains, where obviously noisy children and mobile phones aren't allowed. It's great because you can sleep for the journey :smile:
It's because of all this "My little darling!" bull. No your child is not hilarious or a free spirit for pummelling the chair, they're just a little BRAT.

Or very, very bored. Maybe they are tired of oatmeal and flashcards?
Reply 55
I've said for years that airlines should do child free flights. Perhaps at unsociable hours, just to give people a choice. I for one am fairly obsessive and having young children around would be a genuine source of stress for me if I hadn't dealt with my issues (even so it's still an inconvenience). Provided there were enough flights that anyone with children could fly, I think this would be a better idea. However, this is a very welcome compromise.
Original post by kittyb99
They have 'Quiet Zones' on the Virgin trains, where obviously noisy children and mobile phones aren't allowed. It's great because you can sleep for the journey :smile:

It doesn't stop them though. I usually sit in the quiet carriage and there have been at least 2 occasions where there have been noisy children sat there with their parents.
I would gladly pay for a family to catch the next flight if they had screaming children.

I genuinely despise screaming/moaning children, on the bus, on the train, in shopping centres, "Muuuuuuummmm can I have this?", "Muuuuuuummmmm I need the toilet", "Muuuuuuummmmmm, Muuuuuuummmmmm, Muuuuuuummmmmm" :mad:

Then there's the ones who just sit there, scream and cry while the mother is competely indifferent, saying "oh he's not usually like this", "oh, he's not used to flying". No, it's a complete lack of discipline, we shouldn't have to suffer for your failings as a parent to discipline your children properly.
Reply 58
Original post by OU Student
It doesn't stop them though. I usually sit in the quiet carriage and there have been at least 2 occasions where there have been noisy children sat there with their parents.

:frown: That's really unfortunate. Normally people are quite good at ensuring they are quiet.
Original post by kittyb99
:frown: That's really unfortunate. Normally people are quite good at ensuring they are quiet.

Many seem to be ok. It's just a few who give the rest a bad name. If the child and parent are just talking, I am not fussed. If the child is screaming / generally being a pain, that's when it becomes an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending