The Student Room Group

Graduate Job with long hours and commute

Hi guys,

I've recently been offered a full-time graduate position and i'm really grateful about this. However, it's taking me 2 hours to commute there (for a single trip) so 4 hours in total and the route is inconvenient. I'm trying to avoid travelling within zone 1 due to expenses so my alternative, cheaper route equates to 3/4 trains, a bus and a 8 minute walk.
Also, the shift times are from 9:30am to 6pm. The role requires a lot of focus on a PC screen so having to endure a 2 hour trip back (bare in mind this duration isn't considering delays, cancellations, or traffic) after this is lowkey depressing.
However, jobs like these don't come easily and the experience i would gain would be super valuable for the long-term.
I am unable to work from home unless i'm trained up which will take several weeks but it's only the 1st week and i'm already struggling. i've messaged my manager informing him about this situation, they've read my message but haven't replied.
What should i do?
Reply 1
Pay to go through zone 1?
Move closer to the job?
Get another job?
Suck it up?
Original post by beyhive1
Hi guys,

I've recently been offered a full-time graduate position and i'm really grateful about this. However, it's taking me 2 hours to commute there (for a single trip) so 4 hours in total and the route is inconvenient. I'm trying to avoid travelling within zone 1 due to expenses so my alternative, cheaper route equates to 3/4 trains, a bus and a 8 minute walk.
Also, the shift times are from 9:30am to 6pm. The role requires a lot of focus on a PC screen so having to endure a 2 hour trip back (bare in mind this duration isn't considering delays, cancellations, or traffic) after this is lowkey depressing.
However, jobs like these don't come easily and the experience i would gain would be super valuable for the long-term.
I am unable to work from home unless i'm trained up which will take several weeks but it's only the 1st week and i'm already struggling. i've messaged my manager informing him about this situation, they've read my message but haven't replied.
What should i do?

Way too soon to discuss this with a manager, if you want to keep the job you will have to do some major rebuilding tomorrow.

As above, you need to find a more direct travel route, use the wfh when you can and suck it up. This is the real word, no safety net, and nothing you say about this role is in any way out of the ordinary for professional work. A week into a graduate job is way too soon to be sending messages like this if you are serious about a career.
Reply 3
Original post by beyhive1
Hi guys,

What should i do?

Do you not drive?
Reply 4
Original post by Maybach.
Do you not drive?

Through London....?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending