The Student Room Group

Struggling to run away

Hi everyone, 3 years ago I decided to come to UK for a job, to earn money so I can pay for my studies. I was a single (not too old) mom so I ask my mom to look after my kid until I come back. In the meantime I met a guy who at first was the most lovely and caring person I ever met… all of this until I moved together with him and his mom and then the nightmare start. He’s keeping me only for money, every month on the salary date he ask me to send him all the money because he’s saying that only him has time to go and do shoppings if I don’t do it he beat me really bad, he ripped a lot of my hair and more. He doesn’t want to work as his mother pays for his drugs and everything as she knows but she supports him doesn’t matter what he’s doing because loves him too much. Everywhere everyone likes his mother but nobody knows what she protects at home… a monster. I was threatened by her to not say a word to anyone. They say to me to be thankful that I have where to sleep. I could go to the police, but I really can’t as he says if I ever do that or somebody will know, he will come after my family one day. They both doesn’t let go anywhere else except work. They never let me go home to see my child and my mother in 3 years as they said who’s gonna pay the rent if I run. After3 years I feel like I burn out I lost my mind and I’m anxious to not do a bad mistake now. I’m heartbreaking because I miss my family for 3 years and they didn’t allowed me even to have friends in this country. When I moved they asked me to delete my facebook account as said that’s better for the mind and on Whatsapp I only have them and my mom. Why I’m writing this post so late today? Because I really need help to run away I want to be home happy with my family and friends and relatives. I checked for a ticket to my country but they price is 898£ plus I will need money for train/bus and some money when I get home for my family. How I can get quick around 1600/1700£? What are others options so I can run away this month. I tried with the bank but no change. Also, I live in a flat and all neighbours I’m sure they heard me screaming and creeping while I was begging him to stop and not him me anymore. I swear to my life and everything I love that what I’m saying is 100% true. I’m disparate I want so bad to leave even today. I am willing to do ANYTHING right now. I’m willing to do anything for ticket money. Please everyone I really can’t ask for help anywhere else here maybe he will not know. I don’t want to stay here more than a month. I lost all my hopes that I will see my kid one day. What can I do?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Usernamehhhbh
Hi everyone, 3 years ago I decided to come to UK for a job, to earn money so I can pay for my studies. I was a single (not too old) mom so I ask my mom to look after my kid until I come back. In the meantime I met a guy who at first was the most lovely and caring person I ever met… all of this until I moved together with him and his mom and then the nightmare start. He’s keeping me only for money, every month on the salary date he ask me to send him all the money because he’s saying that only him has time to go and do shoppings if I don’t do it he beat me really bad, he ripped a lot of my hair and more. He doesn’t want to work as his mother pays for his drugs and everything as she knows but she supports him doesn’t matter what he’s doing because loves him too much. Everywhere everyone likes his mother but nobody knows what she protects at home… a monster. I was threatened by her to not say a word to anyone. They say to me to be thankful that I have where to sleep. I could go to the police, but I really can’t as he says if I ever do that or somebody will know, he will come after my family one day. They both doesn’t let go anywhere else except work. They never let me go home to see my child and my mother in 3 years as they said who’s gonna pay the rent if I run. After3 years I feel like I burn out I lost my mind and I’m anxious to not do a bad mistake now. I’m heartbreaking because I miss my family for 3 years and they didn’t allowed me even to have friends in this country. When I moved they asked me to delete my facebook account as said that’s better for the mind and on Whatsapp I only have them and my mom. Why I’m writing this post so late today? Because I really need help to run away I want to be home happy with my family and friends and relatives. I checked for a ticket to my country but they price is 898£ plus I will need money for train/bus and some money when I get home for my family. How I can get quick around 1600/1700£? What are others options so I can run away this month. I tried with the bank but no change. Also, I live in a flat and all neighbours I’m sure they heard me screaming and creeping while I was begging him to stop and not him me anymore. I swear to my life and everything I love that what I’m saying is 100% true. I’m disparate I want so bad to leave even today. I am willing to do ANYTHING right now. I’m willing to do anything for ticket money. Please everyone I really can’t ask for help anywhere else here maybe he will not know. I don’t want to stay here more than a month. I lost all my hopes that I will see my kid one day. What can I do?

I hope you're doing okay :heart:
What country are you from?

Your situation is hard. Ab*se is scary and isolating. Realistically if all of your family is abroad it is unlikely that he will go after them, don't let his threats keep you trapped with him because they never stop. If no one will loan you the money you could try selling things or picking up extra shifts through an agency (what my dad does). I would highly recommend reaching out to any family and friends you have and fully explaining the situation. Even if they can only offer emotional support that is better than nothing. I would also suggest reaching out to a dv charity (like Women's aid) for advice, the larger charities have specific advisors for immigrant victims. It's up to you if you tell the police because they could question him but not charge him which would put you in further danger. (I went to the police and they didn't do anything). Are you financially in a position to move out (to a different part of the country).
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
I hope you're doing okay :heart:
What country are you from?

Your situation is hard. Ab*se is scary and isolating. Realistically if all of your family is abroad it is unlikely that he will go after them, don't let his threats keep you trapped with him because they never stop. If no one will loan you the money you could try selling things or picking up extra shifts through an agency (what my dad does). I would highly recommend reaching out to any family and friends you have and fully explaining the situation. Even if they can only offer emotional support that is better than nothing. I would also suggest reaching out to a dv charity (like Women's aid) for advice, the larger charities have specific advisors for immigrant victims. It's up to you if you tell the police because they could question him but not charge him which would put you in further danger. (I went to the police and they didn't do anything). Are you financially in a position to move out (to a different part of the country).

Thank you so much for your answer.
I’m afraid for my family because he’s from the same country like me. I did how you said, I start applying for jobs from agencies as I understand they pay weekly which I really need. I’m thinking when I will get enough money to run, I will have to leave some on the table for him as maybe that’s all he loves so maybe will stay calm. But what I’m gonna do when he will return home and see I’m gone and then he will start calling me and threatening me? He used to do that when I spent too much time at the supermarket and I was feeling like my heart was beating to get out of my body.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your answer.
I’m afraid for my family because he’s from the same country like me. I did how you said, I start applying for jobs from agencies as I understand they pay weekly which I really need. I’m thinking when I will get enough money to run, I will have to leave some on the table for him as maybe that’s all he loves so maybe will stay calm. But what I’m gonna do when he will return home and see I’m gone and then he will start calling me and threatening me? He used to do that when I spent too much time at the supermarket and I was feeling like my heart was beating to get out of my body.

Oh no. Tbh most countries lack decent support for dv situations. The best thing you can do is cut off all contact immediately. Consider changing your number and email depending on how dangerous he is as some people make multiple accounts to circumvent blocking. I don't think leaving any money will make him stop being a violent evil person but you are free to try. The most important thing is disappearing as best and as quickly as you can if your life is in danger.
Reply 4
Original post by Andi.0k
Oh no. Tbh most countries lack decent support for dv situations. The best thing you can do is cut off all contact immediately. Consider changing your number and email depending on how dangerous he is as some people make multiple accounts to circumvent blocking. I don't think leaving any money will make him stop being a violent evil person but you are free to try. The most important thing is disappearing as best and as quickly as you can if your life is in danger.

So don’t you think he will come after soon or late? It was impossible to hide my documents and he knows my address from my ID card. Sorry to ask many questions but I’m scared. More for my family. I’m thinking what if he comes at my home one day and do a big s**t in front all my neighbours and everyone?He made me cut off the contact with everyone in 3 years. I don’t know…
Reply 5
So don’t you think he will come after soon or late? It was impossible to hide my documents and he knows my address from my ID card. Sorry to ask many questions but I’m scared. More for my family. I’m thinking what if he comes at my home one day and do a big s**t in front all my neighbours and everyone?He made me cut off the contact with everyone in 3 years. I don’t know…

If you keep talking to him he will think he has a chance to get back with you. If you cut off contact he may come after you or he may move on but if you keep talking he will definitely continue trying to pursue you/harass you. It sucks that you're alone it's really hard to rebuild those friendships but start by reaching out to those you trust the most and see if they are able to help or at least check up on you. I hope you and your family are okay? Does your family know the situation, especially the person responsible for your child?

If moving back with your kid will put her in danger then don't but you can't stay with him.

If you are in the UK, there is support for you.

You say that you send your paycheque to this man each month. When you receive your next paycheque, hold onto the money. Speak to a domestic abuse hotline, because they are trained professionals in rescuing people in precarious situations like yours. Make a plan with them to leave his reach in a way that when you are paid (hopefully by the last day of the month), you are free to purchase a ticket back home if you wish.

If you don't get paid enough or a journey home is too complicated to arrange in such short notice, you can organise travel to a women's shelter that is not nearby so as not to be discovered if people look for you. With their help, you could also go to the police and file a report against this man and his mother, and your bank statements as well as any long-lasting injuries would act as evidence. You could also inform your mum of your plan beforehand so that she can make additional arrangements for your child's and her safety by either moving or installing security.

I can't imagine being subjected to the suffering you have been through for so long, but don't lose hope and don't give up on getting your life back. People can and will help you to find a way out, and the people who have done this to you can be reprimanded.

Please contact the hotline for specific support and advice, and I wish you all the best.
Reply 7

Hi there,

Sorry you are going through this.

Just reaching out to you as I wanted to let you know there is support available out there that may be of use:

- Victim Support
https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/
Get in touch anytime for independent, free, and confidential advice:
Call Supportline on 08 08 16 89 111

- Refuge - Anyone, domestic violence

We hope you find this useful and please come into ATCS if you have any further questions.

Look after yourself.

Best wishes,
TSR Support
Reply 8
You could consider becoming an Au pair (who is like a live in helper). Au pairs are usually students who come over from other countries for some work experience. It doesn't pay well but you live in the person's house and get food and a little bit of money. You usually look after little kids and do some cleaning etc.
There are some programs like camp America (which unfortunately is closed for camp leader submissions 2023) which you could apply to be staff and get paid to do something in the summer, like an NCS leader. Again, not loads of money but enough (around 1500 for like a months work) and you may be stationed away so he won't know where you are. Some programs that are abroad (like Camp America) offer you a plane ticket to whichever country you want when you go home, so you don't have to come back here, you could go back to your home country with that. You should apply quickly if that's something you want to do because the summer holidays are about to start.
im sorry this has happened i wish i could help

as a autistic student i cant do much

i wish you the best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending