The Student Room Group

Most irritating thing about the privately educated?

Scroll to see replies

How about also their fervent defensiveness, perhaps a tell-tale sign of guilt deep-down? :wink:
Reply 21
I can't comment on private school people because I only know two people who went to private school. One is a pretty caring person and the other is a snobby **** so it cancels out for me :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Original post by NatalieLon1986
One thing would be the way they whine about how much prejudice exists against them, almost putting themselves on a par with African-Americans, single mothers, or Muslims and other Asians in contemporary Britain. Amongst the symptoms of this prejudice, apparently, is the fact that some people refer to them as 'poshos'. To be called such a thing constitutes a form of suffering and hideous hatred that no-one from a state school could even begin to contemplate. Clearly this has a profoundly deleterious effect on their ability to succeed in later life, which is why there are so few privately educated people in politics, business, the law, culture, the media, and so on..... :tongue:

I'm privately educated, and I have to say that the only prejudice about being so that I've experienced is this post.
I don't bash state school kids, or judge them or assume that every single one of them is the same and will get no where in life. Then why is it acceptable for you to do the same?

I'm privately educated but I'm on a bursary and I'm not a 'posho' or stuck up and my friends who do pay for their education are far from being so!

'Clearly this has a profoundly deleterious effect on their ability to succeed in later life, which is why there are so few privately educated people in politics, business, the law, culture, the media, and so on.....' A very very wide generalisation there that you might want to be careful of. Only about 14% of the country's education system is private and in the top universities near 48% are privately educated students, so your claim is unwarranted. It's not right for anyone to discriminate against people whether they paid for their education or not, and it certainly doesn't mean you can start with the reverse discrimination!
Original post by Sheldor
I didn't choose my economic background, or what school I went too. How can something out of my control be annoying?*genuinely curious here, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the concept of private education itself? You seem to have only defended individuals (i.e. yourself), but what about it as a system/institution?
Clearly one thing the privately educated do not learn in their protected institutions is the first thing about sarcasm, irony, and so on! Let alone any understanding of the workings of institutionalised power, privilege or discrimination - makes you wonder where all that money is going! But it's not their fault, poor lambs, as they are rather socially disadvantaged by virtue of inhabiting such a rarefied environment! :wink:

(time to duck!)
One thing would be the way they whine about how much prejudice exists against them, almost putting themselves on a par with African-Americans, single mothers, or Muslims and other Asians in contemporary Britain. Amongst the symptoms of this prejudice, apparently, is the fact that some people refer to them as 'poshos'. To be called such a thing constitutes a form of suffering and hideous hatred that no-one from a state school could even begin to contemplate. Clearly this has a profoundly deleterious effect on their ability to succeed in later life, which is why there are so few privately educated people in politics, business, the law, culture, the media, and so on..... :tongue:

Strange that :colonhash:

(I'm not privately-educated, just pointing out the hypocrisy of this; I actually believe that private schools should not be legal, it's not fair to those of us who want a good education but can't afford it :colonhash:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by clumsybear
People have spat at you because you went to a private school? That's pretty disgusting. :s-smilie:

I have met people who go to private schools who instantly assume that state schools are like a zoo, that's probably the most irritating thing. But the majority are fine and are nice people.

You bet it's disgusting. Thankfully, my school stepped in and had a word with the heads of the other school about it, and now everything is sorted.:smile: Now the abuse is just verbal, which I guess is somewhat better?
Yep, some people hold those views, but thanks for acknowledging they are a minority. I dislike prejudice against state schools as much as against private ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I'm not a fan of the system, because it does give more of a chance to people who can afford it, but I have nothing against the students themselves - they can be (and usually are) lovely people.

If I can afford it, though, I'm definitely sending my children to a private school (although that won't be for a while yet). Not approving of the system doesn't mean I should choose not to take advantage of it :tongue:
Reply 29
I have nothing against the privately educated, several of my closest friends went to private schools. It annoys me that it is incredibly rare to find a politician that isn't even in labour.
How about also their fervent defensiveness, perhaps a tell-tale sign of guilt deep-down? :wink:

Not really, no. As I said- I will defend against all types of prejudice. If this was about syate schoolers ot home schoolers, I would be just as fervent.:smile:
Original post by adieu
I'm privately educated, and I have to say that the only prejudice about being so that I've experienced is this post.

You are so lucky! Most of the state pupils are fine, it's just a big group of kids that like too terrorise us.:frown:

Original post by dosvidaniya
Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the concept of private education itself? You seem to have only defended individuals (i.e. yourself), but what about it as a system/institution?

As a system, my views are as yet still changing. For now, I belive that abolishing them will only harm those on bursaries and scholarships, as the kids that pay full fees will just gt private tutors or their parents will buy up all thr houses in the catchment areas of good schools. We need too improve the state school system drastically, and I feel that until that is done, it is the important issue over wether private schools should stay.

Clearly one thing the privately educated do not learn in their protected institutions is the first thing about sarcasm, irony, and so on! Let alone any understanding of the workings of institutionalised power, privilege or discrimination - makes you wonder where all that money is going! But it's not their fault, poor lambs, as they are rather socially disadvantaged by virtue of inhabiting such a rarefied environment! :wink:

(time to duck!)

What sarcasm have you displayed in your post?
Also, before you go off on a tangent, please may you answer my earlier questions about your levels of hypocrosy? I feel that I am unable too see you fairly and properly asses your viewpoing unless I can fully understand where you're coming from/ your views.
Again, how does an employet know what school you went too in order to discriminate unless they know you?
Did I ever say I was socially disadvantaged?
No need to duck because I won't be throwing anything at you. I try too attempt to look at peoples points with respect, and I would like the same.
I was expecting an adult, sensible debate here with respect on both sides, and no patronisation. Is that not possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Alix23
It's also a bit presumptuous to assume the people that are called 'poshos' are the privately educated.

I would say the most annoying thing about them is that they get a better education and chance at life than those who can't afford it.

Why on earth is that annoying to you? You're not annoyed by it, you're jealous by it. There's a difference.

I assume you've been privately educated, then? :rolleyes:

If you're comparing them to the prejudice of Muslims, Asians, single mothers et al, you really need to open you're eyes and look around you. I'm not sure if you're trolling. There are so few privately educated people in Britain because state schools are, for the most part, great; and not everyone can afford private school.

Please, get off your high horse.
I go to a boarding school. One state school said we were a "special needs school" whilst we were having our practice DofE expedition last weekend. My friends that don't go think we're all posh and loaded. Both a completely wrong. I once was told
I had bought a pair of shoes for Kony (since I was wearing Toms) by a state school girl which I thought was quite witty.

Posted by my butler.

loljk
One thing that annoys me about a few people I know who have been privately educated (and not been on a bursary/scholarship) is them saying 'it's not that expensive'. Okay most 'normal' private schools aren't as expensive as Eton or something, but it's still a lot of money, and it seems to imply an ignorance of how much money a lot of other people are living on.
Original post by takethyfacehence
One thing that annoys me about a few people I know who have been privately educated (and not been on a bursary/scholarship) is them saying 'it's not that expensive'. Okay most 'normal' private schools aren't as expensive as Eton or something, but it's still a lot of money, and it seems to imply an ignorance of how much money a lot of other people are living on.

Depends on how much it is and who they say it isn't expensive for. My school is about 10, 000 pounds per annum, which is expensive for some and a struggle but OK for others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
Depends on how much it is and who they say it isn't expensive for. My school is about 10, 000 pounds per annum, which is expensive for some and a struggle but OK for others.

Just because it's 'OK for others' doesn't mean it's not a ****load of money.
Reply 37
Original post by Sheldor
I didn't choose my economic background, or what school I went too. How can something out of my control be annoying?*genuinely curious here, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that you're annoying, it's that the situation is annoying. Stuff outside your control definitely can be annoying though.
Reply 38
Original post by AH94
Why on earth is that annoying to you? You're not annoyed by it, you're jealous by it. There's a difference.

Actually not jealous, off to private school for sixth form :P

But it is annoying that some people get a headstart in life for no reason other than their parents' jobs, or maybe even their parents' jobs.
Original post by takethyfacehence
Just because it's 'OK for others' doesn't mean it's not a ****load of money.

Duh, it is a lot of money-for some people. Someone on a million per year would think £10,000 pittance, someone on £50,000 a struggle that may eventually be worth it, someone om benefits an impossibly high, life changing amount of money. It really depends on the income and monetary views of the person.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest