The Student Room Group

Comparison between MSc and BSc

Environmental Science MSc versus the equivalent BSc.

What kind of BSc grade equates to a pass at MSc level? I've just started my MSc, 1 month into the term, and I've just been given 5 deadlines all on the same day, all of which are difficult pieces of work.

I'm genuinely concerned I may fail one of them - on a subject I'm not particularly familiar with. So, just so I have some idea of what standard I'm aiming for, what would, say, a low 2.1 (60%) equate to at MSc level? (obviously not a distinction or a merit, but would it be a pass?)

Thanks
Reply 1
I don't think you can directly map from one to the other like that because the Masters coursework is going to be marked on different criteria than your undergrad assignments. Have you been given anything which tells you what you need to be achieving in your assignments? If not, it might be worth asking each of the module leaders for their advice on what's expected.
Reply 2
As said one doesn't really transfer to the other. How long have you got to do all five pieces? If it's a clash of optional modules then approach the person who set it and ask for an extension as the workload is unmanageable. They'll understand if you've got a significant number of pieces to hand in and not much time to do them in.

Just as a note, grading at MSc level and upwards vary greatly from uni to uni, or at least more so than at undergrad.

Good luck with it :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by mc1000
Environmental Science MSc versus the equivalent BSc.

What kind of BSc grade equates to a pass at MSc level? I've just started my MSc, 1 month into the term, and I've just been given 5 deadlines all on the same day, all of which are difficult pieces of work.

I'm genuinely concerned I may fail one of them - on a subject I'm not particularly familiar with. So, just so I have some idea of what standard I'm aiming for, what would, say, a low 2.1 (60%) equate to at MSc level? (obviously not a distinction or a merit, but would it be a pass?)

Thanks

The marking criteria depends upon your university. I had the following on my course: more than 50 was a pass, more than 65 was a merit and more than 70 was a distinction. I think the pass mark being shifted ten marks upwards from undergraduate level is probably indicative of what is expected at postgraduate level (i.e. what is merit level at masters would probably have been first class at undergraduate). This is probably why lots of people who gets firsts whine as they underestimate how big the jump will be at masters level and they do not get the distinctions they were expecting.

One thing must be said. The staff at masters level are much more responsive to working demands than at undergraduates. Almost everyone at my university got extensions to deal with submission clashes. Five deadlines on one day is simply unmanageable. Ask your classmates to see whether anyone else has to deal with this too, then talk to your course leader to organise extensions.
Reply 4
Thanks for your responses.

Original post by Klix88
I don't think you can directly map from one to the other like that because the Masters coursework is going to be marked on different criteria than your undergrad assignments.

How so? I've got a mark scheme, but it's quite vague and arbitrary.

Original post by Zorg
As said one doesn't really transfer to the other.

Just as a note, grading at MSc level and upwards vary greatly from uni to uni, or at least more so than at undergrad.

Again, how so? And how much variation is there likely to be?

Original post by evantej
The marking criteria depends upon your university. I had the following on my course: more than 50 was a pass, more than 65 was a merit and more than 70 was a distinction. I think the pass mark being shifted ten marks upwards from undergraduate level is probably indicative of what is expected at postgraduate level (i.e. what is merit level at masters would probably have been first class at undergraduate). This is probably why lots of people who gets firsts whine as they underestimate how big the jump will be at masters level and they do not get the distinctions they were expecting.

So a low 2.1 at undergrad would typically equate to a scraped pass?

I'm just completely fed up at the moment. I know dropping out would basically ruin all chances of ever getting a job, but at the same time I don't know if I can cope with 1 year of this.... :frown:
Reply 5
I would have said a 2:2, 2:1, 1st was equivalent to Pass, Merit, Distinction, respectively, from the work I had to do for my masters.

I'd agree that masters work is more flexible too, but I guess it depends on your tutors. No harm in asking for an extension.

Not having an MSc wouldn't necessarily ruin chances of a job, tho I guess it depends what the field is like - the cost might be a lot worse tho. It's only a year of your life - I don't mean to be harsh - but man up...
Reply 6
Original post by mc1000
Thanks for your responses.

Again, how so? And how much variation is there likely to be?
So a low 2.1 at undergrad would typically equate to a scraped pass?

I'm just completely fed up at the moment. I know dropping out would basically ruin all chances of ever getting a job, but at the same time I don't know if I can cope with 1 year of this.... :frown:

There are some courses which class 75% as a distinction, some which require you to hit >70% in all modules, some have their pass grade at 60% and some at 50%.
The way you work at MSc level compared to BSc is different as well. So just converting the percentages might not give you an true representation. Think of it as similar to the leap from GCE to BSc. At GCE I used to be able to clear 80% with ease, at BSc I'd struggle to clear 50% without any effort. The percentages aren't transferable.

Think of it as a lesson in organisation and a year is hardly anything, you're already a month into it :wink: Approach the people who set the work, they will understand if you have 5 pieces all due in on one day. My course leaders and all the lecturers are all aware most of us work 3 or 4 days a week and make allowances, I'm sure yours will do the same.
Reply 7
Original post by mc1000
[...] So a low 2.1 at undergrad would typically equate to a scraped pass? [...]

I question Cattree's suggestion that 2.2 = pass, 2.1 = merit, and first = distinction, because I always felt there was a significant gap between the quality of low and high 2.1 work I did. Whereas the switch from high 2.1 to first was often arbitrary. How do you feel about your own undergraduate work?

I am not going to write you off and say getting a low 2.1 means you will struggle. I got a 2.1 but excelled at masters level because I picked a programme I wanted to study and knew that I would only have to write coursework and give one presentation (not concerned about the latter, only wanted to avoid exams). I still crapped my pants when I went to get my first set of results, because the fact is if you do not get past certain points then it is impossible to get certain classifications (i.e. merit and distinction).
Reply 8
Original post by mc1000

To get 60% at Masters level (on my course, a scraped Merit) will take more effort and a higher quality of analysis and content than would be expected to get 60% at undergrad level (on my course, a scraped 2:1) .

The marking criteria and schemes will differ between courses and probably even between units on a course depending on the type of content. Generally when writing traditional essays, I found that I was expected to quote more sources (i.e. do more reading), produce more in-depth analysis of my quoted sources and be more critical about the information in my sources and how it was being used. I was expected to find aspects of the sources with which I agreed or disagreed and explain why, reaching my own conclusions.

So work which might have got you 70%+ at undergrad level, might only get you 60% at Masters level. In my Masters coursework, I was expected to demonstrate that I was stepping up a gear from undergrad work. If you were pulling 70%+ regularly at undergrad level, you can't be guaranteed to get 70%+ at Masters level unless you do more work and think more deeply about the topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending