The Student Room Group

Is it just me on tsr who doesn't have A*A*A*?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by politics_student
I achieved ABB. Looking back, this time last year, I was so pretentious with A-levels. I aimed for AAA and anything lower I would have been sorely disappointed. I viewed Cs as a failure and anyone achieving those grades should not go to university. In my A-levels I was only one UMS mark from AAB, but I tried very hard, and still made it into my first choice university. Now I am pleased with my achievement and, in the grand scheme of things, A-levels mean very little other than to take you to the next stage.

My point is, don't be too disheartened. Everyone is different and if you're pleased with your achievement, who cares if another person is achieving all A*s? Look to raise your grades, but ultimately some people aren't cut out to be straight A* students, but an A/ a B are not grades to scoff at!

I know how you feel. Like I was a few marks away from A*AB. But got ABB. But I got into the uni I wanted to go to. I hate people who act all pretentious and say 'haha I got this mark' it makes me want to just say **** off you pretentious ****. I used to be like that when I was 15/16 All I care about now is my own achievements and my friends and no need waving it about to other people not as good or fortunate. If they're such a good achievement, you don't have to show it off. My mate is a bloody genius, but he doesn't show it off as it shows itself off.

I'm not even being bitter as I don't do badly, just that loads of people try to make it look like they're better than other people because they get better grades which is bullocks and makes me angry. My bros in a nice job earning 20k coming out of uni and I've got better grades than him and go to a better uni than he did. Doesn't mean I look down on him.

One thing I'd agree with the pretentious people is that some people take their education for granted and shouldn't be at university if they do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
I got BBCC at AS level and I was pretty happy with it :smile:
Although I'm retaking my politics because I got an A in January and a D in summer so I apparently only need a high C to get an A overall, but I'm not fussed :smile:
I'm also retaking my history which I got a C in so hopefully I can get a B as most of my uni's want a B in history :P
Original post by jam277
I know how you feel. Like I was a few marks away from A*AB. But got ABB. But I got into the uni I wanted to go to. I hate people who act all pretentious and say 'haha I got this mark' it makes me want to just say **** off you pretentious ****. I used to be like that when I was 15/16 All I care about now is my own achievements and my friends and no need waving it about to other people not as good or fortunate. If they're such a good achievement, you don't have to show it off. My mate is a bloody genius, but he doesn't show it off as it shows itself off.

I'm not even being bitter as I don't do badly, just that loads of people try to make it look like they're better than other people because they get better grades which is bullocks and makes me angry. My bros in a nice job earning 20k coming out of uni and I've got better grades than him and go to a better uni than he did. Doesn't mean I look down on him.

One thing I'd agree with the pretentious people is that some people take their education for granted and shouldn't be at university if they do.

Exactly! It's very tactless to "show off" grades, as firstly, they're personal; it really isn't anyone else's business, other than schools, parents, universities and employers. If I did well, I would be pleased, but I would treat myself privately. It's not as though I have anything to prove to others! Also, as you say, some people work really quite hard, but may not achieve their desired result. So it's pretty frustrating for them to have someone gloating their grades.

Of course good grades are a good achievement and people should be inspired, but it's almost like earnings - you shouldn't really announce them unless it's appropriate.

At least you're in the university you want to be in and that's the main thing. :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by NutterFrutter
I only got A*AA so not everyone on here is a straight A* student.

those are terrible grades wow
I have never had an A* in my whole life and the last time I got an A was GCSE.
It isn't the end of the world. Some people can naturally learn things quickly/easily, whereas some people might need to put more revision in to soak all the information in.
For me, I am just not very good at exams, especially in English, because you have to right in such a structured way which I can't.
I think the importance of A*/A is exaggerated. Some people can just never reach that height, but it doesn't mean they're not clever, so I wouldn't worry about it really. :smile:
Just realised I wrote 'write' as 'right'
Hahahaha maybe that's my downfall in English exams, I will never get into uni doing English now!
Reply 86
I got 3 A*s in French, German and English Literature and went to Edge Hill, ranked 150th best Uni? Oh yeah, that's how I roll.
I got A*ABCb :smile:

&That was one of the highest set of grades at my sixth form, no-one got A*A*A* so it's certainly not the norm! Gotta remember TSR doesn't really reflect the real world very well :p:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending