The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Apagg
I still think someone of brilliant intelligence would get in. The cream, if you will. It's better than having purely comprehensives.

The point is that the 'cream' as you choose to describe them - I prefer to refer to the top 2 to 5% ability range - do better in comps.

So why do you assume that it's better than having 'purely comprehensives'?
Why do you put so much faith in GCSEs as an indicator of academic success and ability? They are ridiculously easy to train for, and require little to no intelligence/passion to score top grades. Have you ever wondered why (a tiny amount of) universities use it as a last resort to differentiate between top candidates? Perhaps the grammar school students have something else to offer, something which is not able to be quantified in numbers and figures?
Reply 522
The Ace is Back
Perhaps the grammar school students have something else to offer, something which is not able to be quantified in numbers and figures?

Not in my experience. The students at my grammar seemed just the same as the top ones in my secondary modern, there wasn't really much between us to be honest. Except for the ones at the very, very top, obviously.
Reply 523
The Ace is Back
Why do you put so much faith in GCSEs as an indicator of academic success and ability? They are ridiculously easy to train for, and require little to no intelligence/passion to score top grades. Have you ever wondered why (a tiny amount of) universities use it as a last resort to differentiate between top candidates? Perhaps the grammar school students have something else to offer, something which is not able to be quantified in numbers and figures?

Yes - that's an interesting point.

It is generally the most competitive (for entry) unis that closely examine GCSE results as a final determiner. The reason why? Apparently, there is a closer correlation between GCSE results and degree outcome!

Apart from all this debate we have had - ultimately, the only thing that separates the grammar school 'product' and the equivalent comp school 'product' is that it is perhaps a little harder to achieve as highly in the comp - not for any academic reason, you understand - but because there are maybe more distractions and generally less resources at home.

The other thing that separates the two is that the one who achieves equivalent grades and in doing so, is exceptional within their own cohort is the one that has more potential at HE level - regardless of the status of their school!
yawn
It is generally the most competitive (for entry) unis that closely examine GCSE results as a final determiner. The reason why? Apparently, there is a closer correlation between GCSE results and degree outcome!

I sincerely doubt it. If they were such a good indicator of degree outcome then all universities would use them - it's not like interviews where substantial amounts of time, manpower and funding are required. The fact that only the most competitive use it clearly demonstrates that they are using it as a last resort, so as to be able to further differentiate between all their straight-A candidates who deliver stellar interviews.

Could I see your source please?
amie
Not in my experience. The students at my grammar seemed just the same as the top ones in my secondary modern, there wasn't really much between us to be honest. Except for the ones at the very, very top, obviously.

I thought you said secondary moderns weren't comprehensives?
Reply 526
The Ace is Back
I thought you said secondary moderns weren't comprehensives?

They aren't!

However, in an area where you have schools that select by acadmic ability alone, the other non-selective schools cannot be truly 'comprehensive' since their intake is devoid of many of those who are among the top quartile.

You will get some children there who are from the top quartile but they will be either those whose parents have decided they don't want them to take part in the selection process or those who took the 11+ and missed the pass 'cut-off' by a narrow margin.

It is only those schools that have a representative proportion from amongst the top quartile locally that are comprehensive, ie 25% of the intake from the top 25% of the ability range.
Reply 527
The Ace is Back
I sincerely doubt it. If they were such a good indicator of degree outcome then all universities would use them - it's not like interviews where substantial amounts of time, manpower and funding are required. The fact that only the most competitive use it clearly demonstrates that they are using it as a last resort, so as to be able to further differentiate between all their straight-A candidates who deliver stellar interviews.

Have you seen the UCAS application form? Have you seen the individual uni application forms that the most competitive uni's require to be completed?

GCSE grades have to be entered on the forms.

Oxbridge have access to all of the nation's schools' results data. If they have an applicant from a state school whose grades at A level are not quite as good as those from another applicant who comes from a selective or independent school, they will compare the achievement of those students with the rest of their school cohort, whilst closely examining their GCSE results as well. Honestly, I know this to be true because I have been involved in the applications to Oxbridge from the school to which I am connected.
The Ace is Back

Mind you, to be fair, so are A-levels! As for grammar students 'having something to offer', at my local grammar that seems to be a variety of interesting mental conditions.

The local grammar may beat my comprehensive by 12% when it comes to GCSE...but my school has a 100% better record of not out-putting students who are psycho stalkers!
Andronicus Comnenus
Mind you, to be fair, so are A-levels!

I know. She was using GCSEs as a 'benchmark'.

Andronicus Comnenus
As for grammar students 'having something to offer', at my local grammar that seems to be a variety of interesting mental conditions.

Anecdotal evidence. Solid.

Andronicus Comnenus
The local grammar may beat my comprehensive by 12% when it comes to GCSE...but my school has a 100% better record of not out-putting students who are psycho stalkers!

Enough said methinks. And I can't understand the last bit ('not out-putting students who are psycho stalkers')
yawn
Have you seen the UCAS application form? Have you seen the individual uni application forms that the most competitive uni's require to be completed?

GCSE grades have to be entered on the forms.

Oxbridge have access to all of the nation's schools' results data. If they have an applicant from a state school whose grades at A level are not quite as good as those from another applicant who comes from a selective or independent school, they will compare the achievement of those students with the rest of their school cohort, whilst closely examining their GCSE results as well. Honestly, I know this to be true because I have been involved in the applications to Oxbridge from the school to which I am connected.

That was my point entirely. The most competitive unis (ie Oxbridge + a few others) use GCSE grades to differentiate. The rest don't. Why is this?
Reply 531
The Ace is Back
That was my point entirely. The most competitive unis (ie Oxbridge + a few others) use GCSE grades to differentiate. The rest don't. Why is this?

How do you know that they don't? When one sends in their application via UCAS. every university has the details of GCSE's in addition to predicted A level grades.

If they use a 'sifting' process' as those with more applicants than places do, they might very well look at GCSE's to determine which students have the potential to achieve a better degree from their university.

Interestingly, Cambridge is carrying out it's own research (as a result of that already done and published by others) to see for themselves whether the evidence that there is a higher correlation between GCSE's and degree outcome than between A levels and degree outcome applies also to their own students completing their 'tripos' courses.

I shall be very interested to read the results of that research when it is published. :smile:
yawn
How do you know that they don't? When one sends in their application via UCAS. every university has the details of GCSE's in addition to predicted A level grades.

If they use a 'sifting' process' as those with more applicants than places do, they might very well look at GCSE's to determine which students have the potential to achieve a better degree from their university.

Interestingly, Cambridge is carrying out it's own research (as a result of that already done and published by others) to see for themselves whether the evidence that there is a higher correlation between GCSE's and degree outcome than between A levels and degree outcome applies also to their own students completing their 'tripos' courses.

I shall be very interested to read the results of that research when it is published. :smile:

I'm fairly certain that if they used it at least one of the 'lesser' universities would have hinted at this by now.

When is this research going to be finished? Could you post it up when it's done?
The Ace is Back

Anecdotal evidence. Solid.

*shrug* better than no evidence at all. Its not as if either side has put forward much in the way of concrete evidence.

Enough said methinks. And I can't understand the last bit ('not out-putting students who are psycho stalkers')

I was simply pointing out that ex-pupilsfrom my local grammar school have been arrested for stalking, others have had a complete mental breakdown, others have been done for paedophila. Never heard anything like that about anyone from my comprehensive. Mind you, thats probably because its an all-boys grammar...
Reply 534
The Ace is Back
I'm fairly certain that if they used it at least one of the 'lesser' universities would have hinted at this by now.

When is this research going to be finished? Could you post it up when it's done?

I imagine the need for this 'sifting' would be greatest at those unis that are heavily oversubscribed. When you talk of 'lesser' universities it could mean that they have more places than applicants and therefore don't need to invoke further methods of 'shortlisting.'

I don't know when it will be finished. I shall keep watching and will definitely post it here when it is out - if I remember! :smile:
Reply 535
In the meantime, AC - I am posting a link to a discussion by the Education Select Committee which connects closely to much of the debate on this thread.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmeduemp/400/0062804.htm

If you scroll down to 548 - Dr. Evans; there is a bit about the correlation between GCSE's and degree outcomes.
Andronicus Comnenus
I was simply pointing out that ex-pupilsfrom my local grammar school have been arrested for stalking, others have had a complete mental breakdown, others have been done for paedophila. Never heard anything like that about anyone from my comprehensive. Mind you, thats probably because its an all-boys grammar...

So - grammar schools produce paedophiles and stalkers, comprehensives don't?
yawn
I imagine the need for this 'sifting' would be greatest at those unis that are heavily oversubscribed. When you talk of 'lesser' universities it could mean that they have more places than applicants and therefore don't need to invoke further methods of 'shortlisting.'

Exactly, which clearly demonstrates that GCSEs are not highly regarded as the best indicators of academic potential.
Reply 538
I would like to see the school system become as hierarchical, and work in the same way as the university system from the age of 11.
The Ace is Back
So - grammar schools produce paedophiles and stalkers, comprehensives don't?

No, THAT grammar school does. Although the fact that it is a grammar school (single sex at that) plays a huge part.

Latest

Trending

Trending