The Student Room Group

Grammar school sixth form or college?

Hi, I’ve just done my GCSEs which means I’ll be starting year 12 in September and have two choices of where to study my 3 A-Levels: a grammar school sixth form or a sixth form college.

Both had opening evenings in November which I went to. From that, I preferred the grammar school. However, both schools had taster days more recently (about 3 weeks ago) where you get to experience a school day with lessons on your chosen subjects and talks about school life and enrolment. I ended up enjoying the one at the college more, so now I can’t decide where to go.

I’ve weighed out the pros and cons of both, for example college has more freedom which is quite good but grammar school a trip abroad to aid your studies which I think I’d really enjoy. And btw, I’ve chosen the same A-Levels at both schools and transport isn’t affecting my decision.

I know I have over a month to decide but any advice or tips to help me make a decision is much appreciated. 😁
Reply 1
I go to a grammar school sixth form (but I've been at the same school since Y7) and I'm right at the end of Y12. I personally am glad I stayed at my current school largely because of the lack of freedom tbh, it's much more like Y7-11 than a college and, in my opinion, you get more support, also, for me, the classes are smaller and generally work at a higher level than those at the college, which I find beneficial. However, if you preferred the courses at the college then tbh I'd say go with that, the environment you're in is important but if you don't enjoy the teaching you probably won't enjoy it. It does depend slightly on the subjects you've chosen as the content taught will vary much more for humanities than for sciences. Overall I'd say don't let the trip abroad impact you decision, I'm sure it would be fun but a week of fun isn't worth two years of misery
Original post by yogo1o
I go to a grammar school sixth form (but I've been at the same school since Y7) and I'm right at the end of Y12. I personally am glad I stayed at my current school largely because of the lack of freedom tbh, it's much more like Y7-11 than a college and, in my opinion, you get more support, also, for me, the classes are smaller and generally work at a higher level than those at the college, which I find beneficial. However, if you preferred the courses at the college then tbh I'd say go with that, the environment you're in is important but if you don't enjoy the teaching you probably won't enjoy it. It does depend slightly on the subjects you've chosen as the content taught will vary much more for humanities than for sciences. Overall I'd say don't let the trip abroad impact you decision, I'm sure it would be fun but a week of fun isn't worth two years of misery

I’ve chosen english language, history and philosophy & ethics at both schools and the course content does vary but i liked the content at both schools. Also, I’m a pretty quiet and nerdy kid so working at a higher level in smaller classes might be better for me. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending