The Student Room Group

Grammar or state

I’m moving on to sixth form this year in the UK. I have completed my IGCSES with great results. I have to choose between an “outstanding” state school and a “good” grammar school as rated by ofsted. Does the rating really matter and is it reliable? I have to travel a bit longer for the grammar school tho…
Reply 1
Original post by Kriu
I’m moving on to sixth form this year in the UK. I have completed my IGCSES with great results. I have to choose between an “outstanding” state school and a “good” grammar school as rated by ofsted. Does the rating really matter and is it reliable? I have to travel a bit longer for the grammar school tho…

Grammar schools are state schools ....

How old is the outstanding rating? You can check the Ofsted report.

What progress does each school get at sixth form level? What are the over-subscription rules ie will you actually get a place?
Reply 2
I have heard that you have priority if you are in a state school than if you are in grammar school in universities .
Plus grammar school is very challenging.I had the opputunity to be in grammar school but because of the fact i just stated i just settled down with state school.
Reply 3
Certainly if you are good enough go to grammar, but look at both of their results first, you might be suprised
Original post by Kriu

heyy, so i go to a grammar right now, and i should, stress levels can be really high, especially for sixth form... i think you should look at the extra curriculars, the atmosphere of each schools, where would you be happier since they're both good options. an outstanding school is normally better than a good one as well, I'm not completely sure of the difference, but you could research that, also work out if ur spending significant time on the bus to school that you could use on studying (my school is very far away so i lose a lot of time on that), hope this helped!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Alm_xo
I have heard that you have priority if you are in a state school than if you are in grammar school in universities .
Plus grammar school is very challenging.I had the opputunity to be in grammar school but because of the fact i just stated i just settled down with state school.

Your unlikely to be at an advantage unless the state school is underperforming for example results are in the bottom quartile... & often you would need two markers such as underperforming schools + low postcode to higher education or another socioeconomic factor. Typically these mean you may get a slight grade reduction (for example A*AA offer maybe reduced to AAA) not necessarily more likely to receive an offer.

These processes are in place to make the system as meritocratic as possible not redistribution of inequalities.

Quick Reply

Latest