The Student Room Group

advice for moving schools for sixth form??

im planning to move to a grammar school for sixth form and i'm looking for any advice??
i've always been quite introverted and never really liked change. ive heard a-levels is a big step up from gcses and im worried that i wont be able to keep up with staying on top of my studies as well as fitting into a new school. ive also never been to a grammar school - do people tend to be helpful? is moving schools for sixth form stressful? + any advice, tips + comfort would be great lol.
tysm x
Reply 1
Hi
Original post by august_gilmore
im planning to move to a grammar school for sixth form and i'm looking for any advice??
i've always been quite introverted and never really liked change. ive heard a-levels is a big step up from gcses and im worried that i wont be able to keep up with staying on top of my studies as well as fitting into a new school. ive also never been to a grammar school - do people tend to be helpful? is moving schools for sixth form stressful? + any advice, tips + comfort would be great lol.
tysm x

Really depends on the school tbh. Vibes can vary from grammar school to grammar school. Talk to current students at both school and see which school has the best departments for your subjects, look into any societies that interest you, etc. I personally stayed on with my current school and the vibe changed from year 11 to sixth form for the worse, so I guess staying on or moving both each have their own risks.
Reply 3
Hey! I'm in year 11, and I used to go to a grammar school in kent - moved to a non-grammar just before year 10 (didn't get expelled or anything, just a personal choice). If you want any insight into what it was like in my experience, i'd be happy to elaborate.

I will say - the environment for me was always very cold and everything was always grades focused - they never really focused on individul students needs as they do in my current school.

But, saying that, all schools are different and grammar schools definately suit specific individuals. Definately did not suit me as i'm getting much better grades than I used to.

anyway if you want me to elaborate on my experience i will x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending