The Student Room Group

Are grammar school sixth forms better?

I'm currently about to do my GCSES and I'm been wanting to get higher grades (aiming 8-9s) so I can go to a better sixth form than my schools sixth form. The thing is, I don't know if I'd get accepted into grammar school sixth forms because I'm not in a grammar school myself. Do they only care about the grades or if you're in a grammar school?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by dhqnyq
I'm currently about to do my GCSES and I'm been wanting to get higher grades (aiming 8-9s) so I can go to a better sixth form than my schools sixth form. The thing is, I don't know if I'd get accepted into grammar school sixth forms because I'm not in a grammar school myself. Do they only care about the grades or if you're in a grammar school?

It is possible to be accepted to a grammar school sixth form without attending one from year 7. I would look at their entry requirements on their websites, I would think they mainly look at grades.
Reply 2
Original post by dhqnyq

Grammar schools only look at grades but of course, you can get into one with high enough grades not having attended since year 7 however the students that have would get priority. Grammar school sixth forms are not necessarily better but if you get into one you would be surrounded by people with the same level of high academia as yourself. Remember you can still do just as well in a non-grammar sixth form as higher grades rely on a naturally quick brain and also good teachers, which you get in lots of schools not just grammar schools. Good luck!!
I got into a grammar school myself, despite my previous qualifications being from a different country altogether! So it's definitely possible :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending