The Student Room Group

Grammar School - A Level

Hi All,

My son has finished his GCSE. I have applied to various grammar schools and already got provisional admission. There is a good chance that he will get into grammar school in his A level. I am wondering whether there is any disadvantage for him to join the A-level grammar school. For example, if they are two students both of them have scores 3 A* or A in all three subjects. But one comes from grammar school while the other one is from public school. The student from public school will be given priority in university admission since he is less privileged position.

Please let me know whether my assumption is right. Can somebody share any light on this confusion?

Regards
P
Not sure about 6th form but it's done that way for uni. Just apply as quickly as possible and you should be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by IDKwhatUsername9
Not sure about 6th form but it's done that way for uni. Just apply as quickly as possible and you should be fine :smile:

Sorry I do not understand your response. Could you please elaborate.
Reply 3
Original post by pratap1980
Hi All,

My son has finished his GCSE. I have applied to various grammar schools and already got provisional admission. There is a good chance that he will get into grammar school in his A level. I am wondering whether there is any disadvantage for him to join the A-level grammar school. For example, if they are two students both of them have scores 3 A* or A in all three subjects. But one comes from grammar school while the other one is from public school. The student from public school will be given priority in university admission since he is less privileged position.

Please let me know whether my assumption is right. Can somebody share any light on this confusion?

Regards
P

Is this a state Grammar school? Most Grammars are state ie no fees schools.

A public school = a fee-paying private school

I think your terminology may be wrong. Results can be lookied 'in context' and some unis are trying to reduce fee-paying private school students.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Is this a state Grammar school? Most Grammars are state ie no fees schools.

A public school = a fee-paying private school

I think your terminology may be wrong. Results can be lookied 'in context' and some unis are trying to reduce fee-paying private school students.

Grammar school i was referring was state funded grammar school. While public school i am referring to state funded public school.
Reply 5
Grammar school i was referring was state funded grammar school. While public school i am referring to state funded public school.

In the UK a public school is another name for a fee-paying private school.

If the school is a state school then don't worry.
I think you should attend grammar school if it's convenient. However, if you have to travel super far to attend everyday then it's much better to go to a nearby highschool because the level of teaching doesn't vary to that extent and you are sort of right in that poorly performing schools are more eligible for university schemes/might be contextually considered.
Reply 7
Original post by toxicgamage56
I think you should attend grammar school if it's convenient. However, if you have to travel super far to attend everyday then it's much better to go to a nearby highschool because the level of teaching doesn't vary to that extent and you are sort of right in that poorly performing schools are more eligible for university schemes/might be contextually considered.

Good point
Reply 8
But is this mentioned clearly in university admission rules. Let me know if anyone is aware of it.
Reply 9
But is this mentioned clearly in university admission rules. Let me know if anyone is aware of it.

What do you mean? If you attend a school with low A level results unis can make you a contextual offer. Go on a few uni websites and check whether your current sschool s on that list.

Bath say: https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/contextual-data-used-for-undergraduate-admissions/

Manchester: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/contextual-admissions/admissions/explaining-contextual-flags/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending