The Student Room Group

No motivation, bored, lazy and stupid.

Hello all, I'm in my second year of my computer science degree and I want to quit so bad. I HATE my course like you wouldn't believe. It's totally boring, difficult and to learn a new chapter just sounds like a complete chore. I am constantely tired and have no motivation at all to learn.

Ontop of that I am a lazy person when it comes to studying. I have an assignment for C++ due in 6 days and I've been trying to do it for 2 weeks and I'm just bored of this crap. It's too difficult for me, I don't find it interesting and as it stands right now, I'd much rather take a job stacking shelves in Tesco.

I've never had the ambition to be something special and I live an incredible cheap, simple life. The thing my friends tell me that I'd be stupid to quit after doing 2 years, but the thing is I'm so bad at computer science that I'd most likely graduate with a 3rd which is just pathetic.

I'm really on the verge of just quitting and looking for a job in Tesco or something. All I can say is well I tried my best but I really can't do this anymore. I think for the first time in my life I'm depressed :frown: Everything is just getting ontop of me!!
do what makes you happy! however, there maybe more issues...when someone feels depressed it is easy to lose motivation and inspiration - so try working on your self-esteem first - either by talking to someone or just changing you lifestyle eg. workout, eat better....also, mindfulness may reduce how you feel!

you will feel like this several time throughout your life, you can deal with it, or just run away from it.

the choice is yours :smile:

best wishes
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: I only came to uni to get my parents off my back about doing something with my life. I was happy with my Tesco job before I came to uni, then my parents started hounding me to "be someone" so here I am... What I'd like to do is just leave uni, get a little place close to uni, get a job and that way I could still hang out with my friends here at uni for a couple of years, work and just be happy.

I can always return to uni later in life should I feel the need to pursee something. At my college before I came to uni, there was a women who was 39 and was going to return to uni after a first failed attempt. I guess uni just isn't for everyone.

I literally don't even care about the debt that I'd be left with. I have to pay it back either way and the way I look at it is I've had an amazing 2 years so it doesn't feel wasted at all.
Reply 3
Can I please get some other advice, this is a big decision for me and once I do it that's it!
Reply 4
Although I'm feeling kind of the same way, I have never been so low that I've preferred a job a Tesco..

I am also 2nd year, finish December 2013 and I am so bored and not motivated. I'm failing 3 subjects this semester (new lateness policy, absences..) and have no enjoyment from studies anymore. Honestly, I try to be productive in other areas of life (going to the gym, having a medical procedure done which I've put off, I'm also taking an evening course once a week which is great for networking and on my CV). It depends on how much spare time you have - if you have any at all, try to make time for something you're interested in.

But yeah, I really think powering through is the best at this point. Sometimes you need to try something before you know you don't like, and it's best to finish it through. You'll have a degree (even if it's a 3rd) vs no degree and two wasted years.
As I am now realizing I will never enjoy working in finance... :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Can you search for jobs and still carry on and only leave if you get one. Nt sure it's a good idea to just drop out as you might not find a job straight away. Also there must be something about computer science that you like. Is there any chance of changing modules? Have you spoken to your lecturer or student welfare officer about this?
Hmm, i'm in the same boat in terms of motivation and commitment to my course, i'm resitting the year, second year. Computer Science also, it is very difficult course, my only thoughts are a third is better then nothing at all! Keep at it. If a tesco job is always there, then it can wait for you when you finish in a year or so.
Reply 7
Original post by Millie228
if you have any at all, try to make time for something you're interested in.

Playing PC games. That is simply all I enjoy. Sure I like football but aside from that the only thing that I have a true interest in is playing games.

My mate who quit uni after the first year found a job the other day as 2nd line support, he earns £23,000 a year and that would be perfect for me.

My course is going so indepth it's unbelivable... If I did get my degree I'd be happy with just some kind of IT technician or helpdesk role :smile: I could get that without doing another whole year which is going to be utterly stressful and more money spent. I've decided to stick the rest of the year out and see how I feel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending