The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language January 2013

I was wondering if anyone has any past papers and revision notes for the language exam. I am really struggling so any help is appreciated
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Question 1:
Pick out 10 things you have learnt from the text. Include at least 2 embedded quotations but DON'T ANALYSE.

Question 2:
Link the image into both the headline, text and subtitle. Make sure your comments are perceptive and you comment on any differences you can spot, too. Again, embedded quotations help the examiner understand that you know what you're doing and you're confident!

Question 3:
While reading through the text, underline any emotive language. It usually asks whats was 'exciting' about the text or the 'thoughts and feelings' of the people in the text. Make sure you differentiate which you are answering if the question asks for 'thoughts and feelings'. Analyse!

Question 4:
Pick 3 or 4 techniques that you can talk about. You'll have one named text and one of your choice that you can compare. Choose one with a lot of devices to help yourself out. No need for extended vocab, just use ''Both sources show.... Whereas source 1....''

An example of this is:

''Both sources use alliteration to create meaning. Source 1 uses the alliteration ''running round like rabbits'' to emulate how fast they are running, as the 'r' sound could link into an engine of a car. (More analysis of Source 1 here). Whereas Source 3 uses ''boxes blocking'' to show the sudden stop as Mr Jones sped towards the door, only to be stopped. The 'b' sound is harsh and fast, showing how Mr Jones had to suddenly come to a halt and how it was unexpected. (More analysis of Source 3 here)''

Question 5:
Spend 25 minutes on this one! Make sure you include: a rhetorical question, a one sentence paragraph, semi colon and colon. You're judged on how you express your ideas so make sure your grammar is perfect.

Question 6:
Spend 35 minutes on this one. Make sure you include all of the above. If it says you're writing for a blog, include a website address to show the examiner that you understand the question. This gives you a mark before even writing.

Hope I helped. I'm meant to be doing my homework so I had to rush ><
Original post by mir0rb
Question 1:
Pick out 10 things you have learnt from the text. Include at least 2 embedded quotations but DON'T ANALYSE.

Question 2:
Link the image into both the headline, text and subtitle. Make sure your comments are perceptive and you comment on any differences you can spot, too. Again, embedded quotations help the examiner understand that you know what you're doing and you're confident!

Question 3:
While reading through the text, underline any emotive language. It usually asks whats was 'exciting' about the text or the 'thoughts and feelings' of the people in the text. Make sure you differentiate which you are answering if the question asks for 'thoughts and feelings'. Analyse!

Question 4:
Pick 3 or 4 techniques that you can talk about. You'll have one named text and one of your choice that you can compare. Choose one with a lot of devices to help yourself out. No need for extended vocab, just use ''Both sources show.... Whereas source 1....''

An example of this is:

''Both sources use alliteration to create meaning. Source 1 uses the alliteration ''running round like rabbits'' to emulate how fast they are running, as the 'r' sound could link into an engine of a car. (More analysis of Source 1 here). Whereas Source 3 uses ''boxes blocking'' to show the sudden stop as Mr Jones sped towards the door, only to be stopped. The 'b' sound is harsh and fast, showing how Mr Jones had to suddenly come to a halt and how it was unexpected. (More analysis of Source 3 here)''

Question 5:
Spend 25 minutes on this one! Make sure you include: a rhetorical question, a one sentence paragraph, semi colon and colon. You're judged on how you express your ideas so make sure your grammar is perfect.

Question 6:
Spend 35 minutes on this one. Make sure you include all of the above. If it says you're writing for a blog, include a website address to show the examiner that you understand the question. This gives you a mark before even writing.

Hope I helped. I'm meant to be doing my homework so I had to rush ><

hi, how do u do a one sentence paragraph? :confused:
Reply 4
A one sentence paragraph may be attained by either summarizing information or perhaps using a dual narrative; for instance:

and with that, bob the builder decided to construct a building. (end of previous paragraph)
(1 sentence paragraph here) Wendy began her long descent down the crevasse; moments later, her foot slipped. (End)
(Next paragraph) ...

And so forth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending