The Student Room Group

Worth doing literature?

I currently do 4 AS levels (R.S, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy (which is self-tutored) and Critical Thinking). However I'm always regretting not picking up Literature and I'm finding the self-tutoring of Philosophy hard as I have no way of understanding the complex ideas and arguments and question style other than from a textbook.

Part of me is thinking of stopping Philosophy, getting AS in my three other subjects this year (4 with Critical Thinking but it doesn't really count for anything...) and then picking up AS English Literature (AQA B) at my Sixth Form next year. Looking at my other subjects too, I was wondering if this is a doable option? I don't have problems with time management and getting motivated to study but would English Literature be a course that requires too much attention to ensure success in my A2's at the time?

Thank you!:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't think there'd be anything strange if you did English. But it's also something you can pick up later in life if you want to. Obviously if you want to do English at BA level, then you need English A-Level. But beyond that, 'related disciplines' are what matter. You could probably do well at English and not really enjoy the texts, or the process of reading and responding to them; but I think to really get the most out of it, then you want some kind of enthusiasm.

With regard to attention: jumping through the hoops is what will score the marks: doing what is required in the assessment objectives. Learning to master these is the way forward for the qualification; but they are not, I hasten to add, much use for much more than that.
I guess it depends on what kind of period you face, I'm doing English Literature AS and A2 and my college chose the Victorian Era and Love Through The Ages as the main subjects to focus on.
To be completely honest it doesn't require that much of an effort if you're good with poetry, since I'm familiar only with Italian poetry it's a bit of a nuisance because the metric system is different and I have encountered some problems in recognizing different forms.
As long as you like reading I guess you're fine, but you'll have to do a 360° research (not just literature, but drama and plays, prose and poetry) so if you think you can do that kind of reading/research you're completely fine!

PS: I chose English Literature so I could carry on being myself and ignore Maths (for which I've never shown aptitude) and I had to buy Tom Stoppard's "Arcadia" which is a play that also explores Thermodynamics, Maths, fractals, Physics and so on....seems like I didn't manage to shun Maths aside after all.
Reply 3
Original post by shinsou.hound
I guess it depends on what kind of period you face, I'm doing English Literature AS and A2 and my college chose the Victorian Era and Love Through The Ages as the main subjects to focus on.
To be completely honest it doesn't require that much of an effort if you're good with poetry, since I'm familiar only with Italian poetry it's a bit of a nuisance because the metric system is different and I have encountered some problems in recognizing different forms.
As long as you like reading I guess you're fine, but you'll have to do a 360° research (not just literature, but drama and plays, prose and poetry) so if you think you can do that kind of reading/research you're completely fine!

PS: I chose English Literature so I could carry on being myself and ignore Maths (for which I've never shown aptitude) and I had to buy Tom Stoppard's "Arcadia" which is a play that also explores Thermodynamics, Maths, fractals, Physics and so on....seems like I didn't manage to shun Maths aside after all.

Thanks for the reply! I know my centre does The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love as well as Browning and Rossetti for poetry. Already familiar a bit with both poets and Gatsby but no where near ready for A-level. I think it should be do able, seeing as all exams are going to be in Summer only next year (and AS is usually earlier), just hope I'm allowed to do it :biggrin:

Good luck with your Literature!!
So you're planning to take the exams for A2 in May/June?
Reply 5
Original post by shinsou.hound
So you're planning to take the exams for A2 in May/June?

Not too sure if that's a possibility due to A-level reform and exams only being in the Summer :frown:. I'd have loved to of done my AS exam in January and A2 in May but I'm content with just an AS at the end of next year in it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending