The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
You contradict yourself , so anyone descended from the African slaves is African, but not if they are mixed?
You criticise other people but resort to claiming that those of mixed heritage cannot join the discussion, how ignorant and rude. Perhaps attitudes like yours discourage caribbeans of African background from being proud of it.
The politics of history are very complex, sort out your own attitudes before you pick on other people.
You see this is the thing in talking about!!! We are Africans just accept it forget about where your born and raise and know who you truly are, only that can set you free is truth! I agree too I hate when Jamaicans say they not African. Well I'm Jamaican but I accept and believe that I'm a true African I feel it in my bones as I read up more on my history. What bothers me is that I would love to know where in Africa I'm from, Ghana mainly I think but as time goes on my light will shine. Power to all black people who know who they are, accept, know who you are read up ob your history! Be wise.
Reply 162
It's pretty sad, Africans arrived in Jamaica only a couple of hundred years ago, it's not actually that long ago in human history. It was the slave masters who forced them to deny their African culture. Really, they should be claiming it back, but instead many get upset when you call them African. When you call Jamaicans Africans, many will reply that their grandfather was Scottish... and tell you in great (long a**) detail about every other nationality except the one that is most obvious and staring back at you in the face!. First, I can't imagine being proud of the blood of a slave master who raped my grandmother. I'm not even going to bring it up to defend my nationality. Secondly many of our grandparents were raped in Africa too, by the British, Portuguese & Arabs. Does that make us not African? Yes, Africa is a continent, but we did not create those wretched borders/ countries ourselves...Europeans did - to exploit us. Who else would come up with a derogatory names for a countries such as "Nig*eria" and "Nig*er". Many Africans in the Caribbean and Americas returned to Africa, including many Krio/Creoles. What does that make their descendants? We are the same people. It wasn't chains that made the slave, it was the stripping of identity and culture in order to mentally enslave Africans. The slavemasters couldn't control Africans who kept their culture and traditions, the only way they could enslave them was by brutally forcing them to deny their heritage and identity. When I see an African from the Caribbean doing this voluntarily...it's so distressing. I know it is not entirely their fault because slavery was highly engineered, and calculated - and TRAUMATISING - but for crying out loud - to deny one's ancestors, and all the horror they were put through, only makes their terrible suffering in vain. There's no excuse for denying them, not with all they went through. We should be honouring them. If not, then I'll have to agree with those who say they are not African. African's don't deny their ancestors. Slavery was so brutal because they had to do their very worst to Africans to break the pride we have for our ancestors. Fortunately I am surrounded by Jamaicans who do claim their African identity. It's very beautiful. May many, many more and more continue to do this. Love to my African family across the globe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 163
Original post by Solaa
It's pretty sad, Africans arrived in Jamaica only a couple of hundred years ago, it's not actually that long ago in human history. It was the slave masters who forced them to deny their African culture. Really, they should be claiming it back, but instead many get upset when you call them African. When you call Jamaicans Africans, many will reply that their grandfather was Scottish... and tell you in great (long a**) detail about every other nationality except the one that is most obvious and staring back at you in the face!. First, I can't imagine being proud of the blood of a slave master who raped my grandmother. I'm not even going to bring it up to defend my nationality. Secondly many of our grandparents were raped in Africa too, by the British, Portuguese & Arabs. Does that make us not African? Yes, Africa is a continent, but we did not create those wretched borders/ countries ourselves...Europeans did - to exploit us. Who else would come up with a derogatory names for a countries such as "Nig*eria" and "Nig*er". Many Africans in the Caribbean and Americas returned to Africa, including many Krio/Creoles. What does that make their descendants? We are the same people. It wasn't chains that made the slave, it was the stripping of identity and culture in order to mentally enslave Africans. The slavemasters couldn't control Africans who kept their culture and traditions, the only way they could enslave them was by brutally forcing them to deny their heritage and identity. When I see an African from the Caribbean doing this voluntarily...it's so distressing. I know it is not entirely their fault because slavery was highly engineered, and calculated - and TRAUMATISING - but for crying out loud - to deny one's ancestors, and all the horror they were put through, only makes their terrible suffering in vain. There's no excuse for denying them, not with all they went through. We should be honouring them. If not, then I'll have to agree with those who say they are not African. African's don't deny their ancestors. Slavery was so brutal because they had to do their very worst to Africans to break the pride we have for our ancestors. Fortunately I am surrounded by Jamaicans who do claim their African identity. It's very beautiful. May many, many more and more continue to do this. Love to my African family across the globe.

Africa wasn't some peaceful utopia before other people arrived. African tribes enslaved fellow Africans and even sold their own people to Arab and European traders for their own benefit.

If I asked you what African 'identity' or 'culture' or 'spirit' was, I don't think you would be able to tell me. There really is no uniting aspect that bonds African people:

If fighting for independence from Europeans or another country was a factor, then this certainly wouldn't make Africa unique, as other countries such as Indonesia, Mexico, Argentina and Ireland have all done so, and many African countries such as Nigeria gained independence peacefully.

African countries haven't been exploited any more than non-African countries have been, and even things like the Slave Trade haven't been unique to Africa. Slavery has existed throughout all of human history. The Roman enslavement of Northern Europeans in its day would have amounted to Industrial slavery in the way the transatlantic slavery did.

It's really counter-productive for Afro-Caribbean communities to carry on this legacy of imperialism as a basis for their societies. Essentially I am saying here that the factors purported to 'unite' African people around the world really are non-specific to the continent and its people, and it is in my opinion a fallacy to attempt such false solidarity. In reality it will only lead to greater isolation and contempt from both Africans and the rest of the world's people.

Lastly, many Jamaicans are descendent from mixed couples who are not the product of rape and abuse but love and affection. I'd go as far to say that the majority of 'mixed Jamaicans' are born to loving happy mixed families with no history of ancestral rape.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Why on earth would any of them want to feel African. Its a cesspit of culturally inferior values beaten only by the Muslim world.

this isn't very nice?
Original post by john2054
this isn't very nice?

What would you like me to say?
I'm from an Indian Ocean island in Africa but a lot of people don't associate with Africa as a continent.

I guess there's a few cultural differences between us and Africa compared to the West, I'd say we're closer culturally.

A lot of typical African things I see online or referred to, I cannot relate to very much at all.

I wouldn't be offended if someone called me African however cause it's true.

I feel it's similar to how Britain sees itself a bit different from Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
same, I feel jamaican.
why? because africa is not jamaica & they can't wine like we do.
Original post by Solaa

Although I am African, I hate when people seem to have an issue with people referring to themselves as Mixed or Creole.

I guess you could say my mother is 'black' but she's more Indo-African mixed and my fathers side is Asian/White.

People seem to get offended when I say I'm mixed even though the majority of people don't think I'm African at first and think I'm Asian. I don't hate Africa or black people.

I always seem to here this argument online -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
What would you like me to say?

that you can send me some money? no strings attached? That is what i would like you to say. Fat chance though huh? lol
jamaicans and all other caribbeans aint african

if any caribbean claims to be african...they aint caribbean...probably grew up to carib parents in the us or uk....lost people
Original post by Dinasaurus
Although I am African, I hate when people seem to have an issue with people referring to themselves as Mixed or Creole.

I guess you could say my mother is 'black' but she's more Indo-African mixed and my fathers side is Asian/White.

People seem to get offended when I say I'm mixed even though the majority of people don't think I'm African at first and think I'm Asian. I don't hate Africa or black people.

I always seem to here this argument online -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

we are mixed in the caribbean...simple
Original post by Solaa

wheres the proof we are african tho...just cuz of slavery?

papua new guineans
andaman islanders
tasmanians
arabs
ancient jews
ancient philistines
ancient phoenicians

are all dark skinned and look so called african but they aint african....explain that

the romans said the ancient celts had curly hair and fair skin...they african too?

the romans invaded jerusalem and the jews fled into africa....they mixed with them....but we caribbeans are just pure african huh?

New DNA evidence dates origin of man to 340,000 years ago

The DNA analysis of a deceased African-American male from South Carolina
Comparison of the DNA sample with ancient hunter-gatherer populations from sub-Saharan Africa (the most ancient known modern human ancestors) produced no corresponding ancestral link.

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-dna-evidence-dates-origin-of-man-to-340-000-years-ago

explain that ^ ^ ^ if we are so african
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Latin Beauty

I am African, I'm not Africa not the Caribbean but ethnically I am mixed, as are most people from my country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am African, I'm not Africa not the Caribbean but ethnically I am mixed, as are most people from my country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

basically....to hell with those that got a problem with sayin we are mixed

who is pure anyways lmao
basically....to hell with those that got a problem with sayin we are mixed

who is pure anyways lmao

Some people seem to think some races hold more strength than others or at least they act that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people seem to think some races hold more strength than others or at least they act that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea its funny....cuz those same people will have dna of the races they downplay

It's not simple. Adelante la raza, have you heard of it? There are people of pure or predominant descent from one race or another in the Caribbean :colonhash: Adelante la raza seeks to 'advance the race" or keep people mixing. In Dominican Republic which is your av's flag, Rafael Trujillo was half black Haitian. He hated it and treated Haitians horribly with Adelante la Raza in place. So now many Hispanics have a racial complex.He invited European Jews cxarte blanche to DR to provide a more white looking face to the very ethnic island. Now some people have mixed since. Others look mixed because of slavery or personal choice, in modern times, or Adelante la Raza.

If you know Zoe Saldana the actress, she is playing Nina Simone, a very black looking African American now deceased singer. Zoe Saldana is black but not African American. She's black Hispanic/morena. And people feel she shouldn't play Simone. Yet Saldana has appropriated/stolen many African American roles from true African Americans. She has to do this because ethnic Hispanics are massively underrated in Latin America and Brazil, despite the huge population of pure Africans.

Brazil has more or almost as much black Africans as Nigeria. Latin America and the Caribbean total might be more black than Africa. Yet they are the most disenfranchised. I feel British blacks and African Americans are far more detached from their African culture than Caribbeans in the Caribbean. When they immigrate to US and UK etc only some stuff in their culture remains by choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulletprooph
It's not simple. Adelante la raza, have you heard of it? There are people of pure or predominant descent from one race or another in the Caribbean .

lmfao i dont know who u are trying to teach but i wont even reply to the rest....looked like some basic history introduction lmao...and just like most folks who get into political/racial history...get so overwhelmed by the info...assume nobody else knows it...look at u runnin around the site tellin everybody about adelante la raza....man please...like a child who found out iphone was touchscreen

im just gonna say this.....it doesnt matter how white or 'pure' somebody seems in the caribbean....be sure they have negro or even middle eastern blood....its whites in the dr with black uncles who have white moms whose parents are this and that etc.....everybody is mixed

u can find a white guy with so called african features and vice versa

add that to your introductory history class kid

oh yea...people not feeling zoe saldana for AA roles is something totally different kid....looks like another class to sign up for

LMFAO

you must be some lil brit kid somewhere in london
(edited 8 years ago)
lmfao i dont know who u are trying to teach but i wont even reply to the rest....looked like some basic history introduction lmao...and just like most folks who get into political/racial history...get so overwhelmed by the info...assume nobody else knows it...look at u runnin around the site tellin everybody about adelante la raza....man please...like a child who found out iphone was touchscreen

im just gonna say this.....it doesnt matter how white or 'pure' somebody seems in the caribbean....be sure they have negro or even middle eastern blood....its whites in the dr with black uncles who have white moms whose parents are this and that etc.....everybody is mixed

u can find a white guy with so called african features and vice versa

add that to your introductory history class kid

oh yea...people not feeling zoe saldana for AA roles is something totally different kid....looks like another class to sign up for

LMFAO

you must be some lil brit kid somewhere in london

Running around the site? This wasn't even a coherent post from you but all this typing you did just seems to be a big ass deflection. And the Saldana thing is not different at all "kid." While she's a black Dominican she is facing controversy for playing a different type of black person. Which goes to the OP saying black people fight each other. Got it?

Where I'm located is irrelevant. "I'm just gonna say this." I never even mentioned anything about being pure white. I said most Latin America is almost as black as Africa, can you read. So you really were pointless telling me that many Caribbean people have that in them. I know that, I said Saldana is black as well. What is your point? As mixed with black as people might be, which I was agreeing with :colonhash: my point was many try to deny it. Do you know what "disenfranchised" means?

Latest